• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bottled Water: Is it worth it?

vhilts

Bottled water costs $.89 a gallon. Where are you folks shopping?

Perhaps the question might be, "What are you buying?" Evian, Dasani, Aquafina, San Pellegrino, Fiji, even Trader Joe's, are all around $4.00 per gallon or more. Sure, deals can be found, but the stuff is still quite spendy. The only water I see around here at the price you mention are gallons of distilled water for household use, such as filling steam irons.

... Shel

I can buy Spring water, Nursery water (for preparing baby formula) and Distilled water at Walmart for $.89 to $.98 a gallon. Ozarka drinking water is about $1.10 a gallon. I can get a pallet of 36 liter bottles of Drinking water for less than $5 there, as well. I buy these for my son to take to wrestling and track practice.

That's interesting and useful information, Annabelle. I've bought the occasional gallon bottle of distilled water for under a dollar, but I don't recall running across the smaller drink bottles for the price you describe. On the other hand, I haven't shopped for them. I tend to buy a bottle under duress at the airport or at a gas station, then keep refilling it for weeks until it's too grody to use. Those tend to run $1 - $1.50 for a 12-oz bottle.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Sam's Club even has the bottled water with a sports bottle cap that you just pat closed instead of removing, for about the same price. We have well water and I don't care for it, so I buy a lot of bottled water in the gallon jugs.