• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Late evening dinner between EWR and Parisppany

nizza

Another food lover from the West Coast needs a place to eat. Can anyone here suggest someplace for him?

He is looking for a good place for a late-evening dinner between Newark airport (EWR) and Parsippany. He is flying into EWR from the west coast this Thursday and his flight lands at 8. By the time he gets into his rental car for the drive to Parsippany, it's probably about 9:00. If he were to go directly to his hotel, he would probably check in and be in his room a little before 10, when a lot of restaurants close.

This trip he made sure he is not staying at a hotel located in an office park (where a lot of the Parisippany hotels seem to be). There's at least a Wendy's and a McDonald's within a mile or so.

He wondered, though, if he would be passing by anyplace cool en route from the airport to the hotel. He is probably not up for a fancy sit down meal by himself after a long flight.

But any suggestions for anything along the way, or in Parisppany even, some place still serving at 9, would be great.

He is being taken out for dinner in Newark on Friday so he will get that experience later on in the week.

He has seen other postings about restaurants in the general area that people like, but it's obviously hard for him to know what is "along the way" since he doesn't know the geography hardly at all!

Thanks

Edited by nizza (log)

That's a tough order, dinner in the 'burbs after 9PM on a Thursday...

Probably my best recommendation is something close to the airport, continue on to the hotel after dinner. Montclair is only 10-15 mins from the airport, you might try Church Street Cafe, has been relocated to larger quarters and gotten some good reviews here. Serves dinner until 10:30, style is "New American" rather casual, not a fine dining but more of a fun-pleasant time, probably good for settling down after a flight. If you can make it there by 9:30, should be enough time for dinner.

Church Street Cafe

12 Church St

Montclair, NJ

973-233-0216

P.S. Is it that Sheraton "Castle" hotel in Parsippany? Heard that it is very nice-- if you are there over the weekend there will be some good restos to check out in nearby Morristown. YOu will be too late to get to Morristown for dinner on Thursday, though.

If your friend is staying in Parsippany, my place, An American Grill is open until 10:00. The bar a little later.

We would be more than happy to serve him upon his arrival.

As you might be able to tell by the time stamp I just got home from work. :wink:

Unlike the above, I'm trying to think of places that aren't out of his way. I mean, Montclair is nice and all, but he better get a GPS unit to find his way from the airport to the restaurant then to the hotel. American Grill is great too, but hardly in between the airport and hotel. Although if Lou is gonna take care of the guy, it may be worth going out of his way.

Two of our favorite Chinese places are in Parsippany on Route 46:

Noodle Chu (Chinatown style Cantonese)

770 US Highway 46, Parsippany, NJ 07054

Phone: (973) 299-6518

and

Hunan Noodle House (specializes in house made noodles)

1551 US Highway 46, Parsippany, NJ 07054

Phone: (973) 263-8855

also (I think he'd be passing and at most would have to make a u-turn):

Hunan Cottage (one of mine and Rosie's favorite)

14 US Highway 46, Fairfield, NJ 07004

Phone: (973) 808-8328

I can call later to see how late they are open, if he's interested in Chinese.

Harold's NY Deli (for an enormous sandwich)

707 US Highway 46, Parsippany, NJ 07054

Phone: (973) 335-3339

Hmm, looking at mapquest, it suggests you take Routes 78 to 24 to 287 to Parsippany (it may help if we knew where he's staying). So, thinking of places along that route (not far off the highways, there's nothing commercial on those highways, unlike Rt 46):

Basilico (very nice Italian, I haven't been, but it's highly recommended around here)

324 Millburn Ave, Millburn, NJ 07041

Phone: (973) 379-7020

Khun Thai (ditto, but Thai)

504 Millburn Ave

Short Hills

973-258-0586

New Main Taste (Thai, more refined)

225 Main St, Chatham, NJ 07928

Phone: (973) 635-7333

Cinque Figlie Restaurant (Italian, one of my favorites)

302 Whippany Rd, Whippany, NJ 07981

Phone: (973) 560-0545

It's a too early for me to start calling, but most places seat until at least 9:30. Let me know if he's interested in any of these and I'll check for you.

Basically, the trip from Newark Airport to Parsippany, NJ will take you through Essex County. The most direct route will take you along Route 280.

There are several low-key and diner options along that route that are easily accessible from the highway and wouldn't take your friend very far off his course.

From a safety standpoint, he'd want to get well west of Newark and East Orange before he stopped for a meal. The first convenient place would be Pal's Cabin 265 Prospect Avenue West Orange, NJ 07052 Phone: (973)731-4000, about 2 minutes off of exit 8B of 280. Located just around the corner is the Eagle Rock Diner 410 Eagle Rock ave., West Orange - (973) 325-9057. The Eagle Rock Diner has made vast improvements recently, and would be a decent enough place for a quick bite.

My third recommendation is a better diner-- Ritz Diner 72 E Mt Pleasant Ave, Livingston - (973) 533-1213. This is located about 10 minutes off of exit 5A of 280.

Along Route 46 West in the Montville/Pinebrook area are the Tiffany (201) 227-2099 and Montville (973) 575-0326 diners. I haven't been in years, but they used to be decent.

If he's in the mood for Italian, there's a decent Italian Restauant in East Hanover, called Luigi's 434 Ridgedale Avenue East Hanover, NJ 07936 (973) 887-8408 that can be reached off of exit 4A off 280. There is a bar section that is open a bit later. This restaurant may be a tough find for a traveller though...

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

He won't be going out of his way to come to the Grill

Not needing Mapquest, 95% of these hotels are on Rt 10, 4 miles from my place, he could actually get there and relax a few minutes before ordering a little before 10 pm.

Edited by Lreda (log)

I grew up in Parsippany, so please trust me that the most direct route from EWR to Parsip is (now) 78W to 24W to 287N to Rts 80/46. Agreed that if we knew exactly where he's staying, it would help, but I'll offer some ideas anyway, and I'll start by saying that if he doesn't want to go too far out of his way, Essex County spots don't make sense.

He can easily hop on Rt 10 off of 287 and head up to Lou's place in 10 minutes; he can drive less than that and hit Il Villagio on Rt 10 in Powder Mill Plaza for Italian food; he can go in the other direction on Rt 10 and go to Saffron for excellent Indian food. On Rt 46E in Parsippany, there's the diner at the intersection of Baldwin Road and 46--right near Smith Field...used to be called the Empire, iirc. Nothing phenomenal, but he could eat at a real NJ diner that way. Further up 46 (Eastbound) on the Pine Brook border is Marakesh, for Moroccan food, and then he's up towards the Chinese places that Rachel mentioned. On the Westbound side of 46 in Pine Brook is Tiffany's, which has ribs, bar food, and a sports bar--he could certainly eat that late with no problem there. On the Westbound lanes of 46, he can head towards Denville, for a GREAT ice cream place on Main St--Denville Dairy; swamped 'til at least 11pm every night. For eats around there, I have no idea if the Firehouse is still open or any good, but it's definitely a place for bar food/burgers. Every place I've named is within a 10 mile radius of the Parsippany hotels, and most are even closer than that.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I grew up in Parsippany, so please trust me that the most direct route from EWR to Parsip is (now) 78W to 24W to 287N to Rts 80/46.  Agreed that if we knew exactly where he's staying, it would help, but I'll offer some ideas anyway, and I'll start by saying that if he doesn't want to go too far out of his way, Essex County spots don't make sense.

He can easily hop on Rt 10 off of 287 and head up to Lou's place in 10 minutes; he can drive less than that and hit Il Villagio on Rt 10 in Powder Mill Plaza for Italian food; he can go in the other direction on Rt 10 and go to Saffron for excellent Indian food.  On Rt 46E in Parsippany, there's the diner at the intersection of Baldwin Road and 46--right near Smith Field...used to be called the Empire, iirc.  Nothing phenomenal, but he could eat at a real NJ diner that way.  Further up 46 (Eastbound) on the Pine Brook border is Marakesh, for Moroccan food, and then he's up towards the Chinese places that Rachel mentioned.  On the Westbound side of 46 in Pine Brook is Tiffany's, which has ribs, bar food, and a sports bar--he could certainly eat that late with no problem there.  On the Westbound lanes of 46, he can head towards Denville, for a GREAT ice cream place on Main St--Denville Dairy; swamped 'til at least 11pm every night.  For eats around there, I have no idea if the Firehouse is still open or any good, but it's definitely a place for bar food/burgers.  Every place I've named is within a 10 mile radius of the Parsippany hotels, and most are even closer than that.

I must say, Curlz, I disagree with your route, but you are entitled to get from the Airport to Parsippany anyway you'd like. Even if it takes 15-20 minutes longer! :raz:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Believe me when I say that's not the route I'd take, Hitmanoo--I just think it's a direct shot from EWR for someone who doesn't know the area! Trust me...I'm known for my back routes, great directions and short cuts! All without the aid of GPS, btw. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

That's a tough order, dinner in the 'burbs after 9PM on a Thursday...

Probably my best recommendation is something close to the airport, continue on to the hotel after dinner.  Montclair is only 10-15 mins from the airport, you might try Church Street Cafe, has been relocated to larger quarters and gotten some good reviews here.  Serves dinner until 10:30, style is "New American" rather casual, not a fine dining but more of a fun-pleasant time, probably good for settling down after a flight.  If you can make it there by 9:30, should be enough time for dinner. 

Church Street Cafe

12 Church St

Montclair, NJ

973-233-0216

P.S. Is it that Sheraton "Castle" hotel in Parsippany? Heard that it is very nice-- if you are there over the weekend there will be some good restos to check out in nearby Morristown.  YOu will be too late to get to Morristown for dinner on Thursday, though.

Still think that it would be much better to take a SHORT drive from the airport to dinner, and the longer drive after dinner, mainly because of the late hour, and the early suburban resto closings in the 'burbs. Montclair is a straight shot off the Garden State Pkwy exit 148, right down Bloomfield Ave. Only 10-12 mins from EWR. From Montclair, it's probably another 25 mins to Parsippany.

Based on your hints, I'm still guessing that it's the Sheraton "Castle". And yes, I agree, if you are in for the weekend, either Morristown or American Grill on Rte 10 would be good weekend choices.

Okay, if he does go to Montclair, I have some other recs to throw in the mix:

Indigo Smoke for Q (on Bloomfield Ave)

Greek Delights for, well, delightful Greek :wink: (on Park St)

Egan & Sons for a great pub atmosphere and decent pub food (on Walnut St)

Little Saigon for great Vietnamese with mediocre service (on Elm St, just off Bloomfield)

If I wasn't feeling so lazy, I'd create links to discussions about all of these spots...

nizza, you've sparked an interesting debate. I'm sorry, but we simply must know which hotel the guy is staying at! :laugh:

And, what are his real priorities? Eating as soon as possible after landing or a short drive after dinner? Type of cuisine, too. Get back to us.

- NJ

From Nizza's friend (via email):

Thanks for all the input. I'm staying at  the Embassy Suites Hotel Parsippany. I don't care about cuisine, as much as a place that someone recommends. I don't mind whether I grab something en route to Parsippany, or ASAP. I'm not in a rush, I just want to make sure I end up someplace before they close. And I actually will have a GPS in my rental car!

Address: 909 Parsippany Blvd. Since it is RIGHT off 287, the 78-24-287 route actually does make a lot of sense (according to mapquest (24.98 miles, 30 minutes), but yahoo counters with 280-80-46 (22.6 miles, 39 minutes). Oy, I'm so confused.

So, you could go with many of the recommendations above. re: An American Grill, it is a great place and it always is nice to have that personal connection... here's a link to driving directions to Lou's place (9.8 miles from hotel, 16 minutes)

(note to Lou - FYI - mapquest seems to thing you're on 10 East, so I used the link to yahoo, which correctly realizes you are on 10 West. You may want to send in an email to mapquest to correct them.)

Okay, so we've established where he'll be...the hotel is basically at the intersection of Rts 46 and 202 in Parsippany. Definitely not far from the Pine Brook or Denville suggestions, but also still accessible to all of the other places mentioned on Rt 10. Personally, if I knew that Lou was going to be at AAG that night, I'd go there--a friendly(?) :wink: eG face to welcome you after a long flight sounds good to me! And it's a given that he'll eat well there.

My direction link above is from the hotel to the restaurant (actually, I just tested the link, it's weird, it gave slightly different directions that time. The address is 246 State Route 10 West in Randolph, it's right on the highway). If you're going to An American Grill directly from the airport you take 78 West to 24 West to 287 North to 10 West. An American Grill is about 7 miles up Rt 10, on the right, immediately after Curley Stone Co.

OK, Embassy Suites. I know that place, nice hotel with a center atrium and hallways draped around it on the interior; The thing that threw me off is that Embassy Suites/Parsippany IS in an office complex!! The Sheraton is off Rte 80/287 and is self-contained, and quite attractive and luxurious.

I still think you will do better in Montclair. Arriving at a nice restaurant at 9:45 on a Thursday will have you rushing through a meal and perhaps watching the cleaning crew work as you are the sole diner in the place. Montclair will give you time to relax and enjoy your meal.

Church Street has gotten a lot of kudos here. Egullet Church Street Bistro Discussion

You don't even need your GPS from EWR to Montclair:

Rte 280 West to

Garden State Pkwy North to

Exit 148, Bloomfield Ave

Bloomfield Ave 3 miles into Montclair

Should take 10-12 minutes.

Since others are throwing higher-end dining experiences and Montclair in to the mix, I can't help but mention FASCINO. :smile:

For all intents and purposes, Montclair is NOT on the way from Newark airport to Parsippany. It is at best a sidetrip.

To tell a traveller coming to NJ who is unfamiliar with the area that Montclair is a convenient place to eat after travelling and with time constraints is to do that person a disservice.

No disrespect intended, menton1. I eat in Montclair all the time, and there is a great selection of restaurants to be had. However, this is not a great recommendation given all of the constraints upon the traveller in this circumstance.

Wow - this did spark a great discussion.

I just received an email from Steve:

What a great group!

Thanks for all the input. I'm staying at the Embassy Suites Hotel

Parsippany. I don't care about cuisine, as much as a place that

someone recommends. I don't mind whether I grab something en route to

Parsippany, or ASAP. I'm not in a rush, I just want to make sure I

end up someplace before they close. And I actually will have a GPS in

my rental car!

Thanks

Steve Portigal -- http://www.portigal.com

blog -- http://chittahchattah.blogspot.com

For all intents and purposes, Montclair is NOT on the way from Newark airport to Parsippany.  It is at best a sidetrip.

To tell a traveller coming to NJ who is unfamiliar with the area that Montclair is a convenient place to eat after travelling and with time constraints is to do that person a disservice.

No disrespect intended, menton1.  I eat in Montclair all the time, and there is a great selection of restaurants to be had.  However, this is not a great recommendation given all of the constraints upon the traveller in this circumstance.

I disagree, Montclair is really easy from EWR. If by "out of the way" you mean it's not in a precise straight line on the map, that's true. But in a car, it's only a few mins from EWR, and Montclair is hip and has many good restaurant venues, including the one I recommended above, and for the reasons I delineated above. (Time constraints were EXACTLY why I recommended Montclair!)

If you think this person needs travel only in a straight line, it would be 10PM and there is probably a diner or a McDonald's near the hotel. But he didn't need Egullet for those recommendations.

Personally, if I knew that Lou was going to be at AAG that night, I'd go there--a friendly(?) :wink: eG face to welcome you after a long flight sounds good to me! And it's a given that he'll eat well there.

uh... isn't thursday lou's regular day off? maybe friday or saturday? i'm free (and single for the weekend and most of the next week) :biggrin:

quite honestly if i'm flying in somewhere i want to wipe the grime off before i do anything...

Edited by suzilightning (log)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

For all intents and purposes, Montclair is NOT on the way from Newark airport to Parsippany.  It is at best a sidetrip.

No disrespect intended, menton1.  I eat in Montclair all the time, and there is a great selection of restaurants to be had.  However, this is not a great recommendation given all of the constraints upon the traveller in this circumstance.

I disagree, Montclair is really easy from EWR. If by "out of the way" you mean it's not in a precise straight line on the map, that's true. But in a car, it's only a few mins from EWR, and Montclair is hip and has many good restaurant venues, including the one I recommended above, and for the reasons I delineated above. (Time constraints were EXACTLY why I recommended Montclair!)

If you think this person needs travel only in a straight line, it would be 10PM and there is probably a diner or a McDonald's near the hotel. But he didn't need Egullet for those recommendations.

Montclair is an easy trip from Newark no doubt. Just not for someone unfamiliar with the area, and not for someone on his way to Parsippany, and not for someone who wants to grab some late night dining after traveling, and not for someone who wants to grab a bite close to or on route to his hotel. Otherwise, sure!

BTW, Montclair is about 20-25 minutes from Newark Airport--without traffic. How do I know this? I work in Irvington (just off the GSP), and I used to live on Grove St--near Bloomfield Ave in Montclair, and it would take me about 15 minutes to get to work. Newark airport is a farther drive.

FYI - the traveler in question went to An American Grill, but he didn't say hello to Lou. He had some comments regarding the food, which I'll forward to Lou anonymously for him. What struck me as weird is that we sent him to An American Grill specifically because there'd be a friendly face to make sure he was taken care of at a later hour. If you aren't going to take advantage of that, well, you figure out the rest. :wacko:

:laugh: