• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Original Pancake House / Ft. Lee

Jason Perlow

Original Pancake House

Fort Lee Town Center

201-585-0905

also:

817 Bloomfield Ave.

West Caldwell, New Jersey 07006

973-575-9161

831 Route 10 East

Whippany, New Jersey 07981

973-515-8552

Some of you may remember that about four years ago, there was briefly an Original Pancake House in Paramus, which closed due to bad management. This was considered to be a tragedy by those of us who love the food at this chain, hoping that some day, we'd all be able to get our Eggs Micheal and Apple Pancakes again.

Well, as it happens, that wish has come true -- the Rentzis family, who owns two other Original Pancake House locations (Whippany and West Caldwell) , and have been involved in the franchise for over 13 years, have now secured the rights to all the franchises in New Jersey and have opened a Fort Lee location in the Fort Lee Town Center, off Palisade Ave in the same strip mall as Borders. (EDIT: Thanks Hank.)

The new location has been open about a month, and I'm happy to say the food is just as good as I remember -- here's a (bad) cell phone pic of their signature Apple Pancake:

gallery_2_1391_95.jpg

In addition to the Apple Pancake, Rachel had a grilled chicken crepe special (think chicken fajitas stuffed inside a crepe with cheese, topped with salsa) and I had the Eggs Michael, which is like an Eggs Benedict except that its a mushroom cream sauce, over sausage patties served with thin and crispy potato pancakes.

I'm glad as hell they are back.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

After hearing good things about this place, I took a ride out to the one in West Caldwell a few months ago. The place was packed to the brim. I had a banana crepe with tropical syrup. The food was delicious, and that tropical syrup was outrageous. The place is a bit more expensive than other pancake chains, but the food is great. I will get back there one day. Any chance of the new owners opening a chain in the Paramus area again?

Fort Lee isn't that far from Paramus... although the traffic on 4 can be killer.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

How does this place compare to Country Pancazke House in Ridgewood? That place has been thriving for almost 10 years now.

Well, I've only been to Original Pancake House once, but IMHO, Country Pancake House is unbeatable in terms of value. While I found the food at OPH to be delicious, the portion was not real big and it was a bit expensive. For a comparable price, you get breakfast for two days when you go to CPH. They've been thriving because they offer delicious food, monstrous portions, and reasonable prices. That is a combination that is very hard to find in Ridgewood or in most other towns in Bergen County. They're both good, but CPH is my first choice. I do wish that OPH would sell their tropical syrup, though, it's the best.

I've never been to Country Pancake House.

I do know that Original Pancake House (click) is a chain thats been in existence like 50 years, and the family that runs the Ft Lee Location has been involved in the franchise like 13 years -- they own franchises in Whippany and West Caldwell as well.

I didn't really think the items were that expensive, but hey, I'm happy there's a place like this near where I live now.

Jason, we have been to the Country Pancake House a couple of times, a few years ago, reminder link. I think we did love the food, and the prices were reasonable, it's just that it always seems to have a long wait to be seated.

But, I am very happy about the new Original Pancake House, which we originally discovered in Florida. Their buttermilk pancakes are fermented yeast pancakes, btw. We didn't have any last night (I happened to make blueberry pancakes for brunch yesterday), but both of our dishes came with potato pancakes, which are the thin, finely ground, lacy kind.

Well, I've only been to Original Pancake House once, but IMHO, Country Pancake House is unbeatable in terms of value. While I found the food at OPH to be delicious, the portion was not real big and it was a bit expensive. For a comparable price, you get breakfast for two days when you go to CPH. They've been thriving because they offer delicious food, monstrous portions, and reasonable prices. That is a combination that is very hard to find in Ridgewood or in most other towns in Bergen County. They're both good, but CPH is my first choice. I do wish that OPH would sell their tropical syrup, though, it's the best.

Thanks for your input-- sounds like I would stick with Country Pancake House-- it's also the usual scenario that an individually-owned place is superior to a chain, anyway.

As far as the syrup, that is a pet peeve of mine. I long for REAL maple syrup at these places!! Those fake syrups can ruin the best of pancakes! The syrups provided are sugar, water, color, and artificial flavor-- ugh! They should invent a BYOMS Pancake house (Bring your own Maple Syrup!) ( What about sneaking some in?)

Thanks for your input-- sounds like I would stick with Country Pancake House-- it's also the usual scenario that an individually-owned place is superior to a chain, anyway.

Its a chain, Menton, however I would not classify it in the same breath as Denny's, IHOP, Bob's Big Boy, or any place like that. Its not a large chain and there are only 3 of them in New Jersey, total. The quality of the stuff coming out of this place is very good. I mean technically speaking, Alain Ducasse is a chain. So is the place in the Tenafly train station.

I do recall the Country Pancake House in Ridgewood now, and I remember having to abort mission on several occassions on weekends because the waits were rediculously long. I do remember the one or two times we did manage to get in that we liked it.

They should invent a BYOMS Pancake house (Bring your own Maple Syrup!)  ( What about sneaking some in?)

Wasn't this a Seinfeld episode?

Edit: Gotta love Google...The Seinfeld episode in question!

Edited by Curlz (log)

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I always felt it was an interesting move for the Rentzis family to start over with a breakfast business. Back in the day, the Original Pancake House in the West Caldwell location was a seafood restaurant called Pier 74. In fact, it was so long ago that I'm not 100% sure of the Pier #

I've eaten at the W. Caldwell location several times, and they do an excellent job with breakfast. On the weekend the wait can be close to an hour.

I'm happy to know that the family is doing even better than I'd heard with the restaurant. I went to high school with one of the Rentzis kids, and he always told me that he had absolutely no interest in the restaurant business. Perhaps he should rethink that. :smile:

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Jason

Thanks for the post. I live very close to the OPH and probably would not have noticed it. I tried it this morning and thought the quality was very high and the menu interesting. It is somewhat more expensive than the usual breakfast menu, but not outrageously so. I plan to go back there.

I went to high school with one of the Rentzis kids, and he always told me that he had absolutely no interest in the restaurant business.  Perhaps he should rethink that.  :smile:

Philip Rentzis (young kid of about 28-30) is the GM of the Fort Lee branch, BTW.

I've become a big fan of the Original Pancake House ever since we went there at the start of the year. I believe it was Rachel who recommended it to me when I was looking for a place to take some friends to lunch.

That said - I do have to agree that they have somewhat quirky pricing. The set items on the menu are reasonably priced (e.g. delicious banana pancakes with tropical (marmalade infused?) syrup for $7). However the side dishes seem to be prohibitively expensive - for example, a small bowl of sliced bananas for a few bucks, and I think a side order of toast is over $2?

p.s. Jason - love your tagline, however, I have to make a minor accent correction - it should be 'Move Your Arse!!!!!!!!' :biggrin: I'll leave all other comments to a Hells Kitchen/Boiling Point/Kitchen Nightmares discussion!

I went to high school with one of the Rentzis kids, and he always told me that he had absolutely no interest in the restaurant business.  Perhaps he should rethink that.  :smile:

Philip Rentzis (young kid of about 28-30) is the GM of the Fort Lee branch, BTW.

No, it wasn't Philip. :wink: It was Leo. I did see his sister working at the West Caldwell location.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Original Pancake House

Fort Lee Town Center

201-585-0905

Some of you may remember that about four years ago, there was briefly an Original Pancake House in Paramus, which closed due to bad management. This was considered to be a tragedy by those of us who love the food at this chain, hoping that some day, we'd all be able to get our Eggs Micheal and Apple Babys again.

How does this place compare to Country Pancazke House in Ridgewood? That place has been thriving for almost 10 years now.

Wow. I just noticed this today myself and was going to PM you Jason and ask if you'd seen it. :biggrin:

I haven't been inside yet, but if it's comparible to the old Paramus location, then the place in Ridgewood is probably slightly better, but not on a totally different scale. And from the apparent size of this place it's probably much easier to get a seat here than that place in Ridgewood, where I know I've spent a lot of time waiting on the sidewalk.

Its a chain, Menton, however I would not classify it in the same breath as Denny's, IHOP, Bob's Big Boy, or any place like that. Its not a large chain and there are only 3 of them in New Jersey, total.

Jason is correct. At least based on my memories of the Paramus location, it's far superior to any of those chains. And Ridgewood is more convenient to some of us than others. :raz:

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Still waiting to hear if anyone else feels as I do about the syrup issue. There is nothing better than real maple syrup, pure, no ingredients other than reduced-down maple sap. Putting colored sugar-water on great pancakes is like putting lousy mustard on a great hot dog. How can we get real maple syrup at these "designer" pancake places?

. I mean technically speaking, Alain Ducasse is a chain.

Wow, that's quite a reach. Somebody must have spiked your syrup!! :raz:

I haven't been inside yet, but if it's comparible to the old Paramus location, then the place in Ridgewood is probably slightly better, but not on a totally different scale. And from the apparent size of this place it's probably much easier to get a seat here than that place in Ridgewood, where I know I've spent a lot of time waiting on the sidewalk.

The restaurant seats up to 140, I don't remember what the old Paramus location sat.

There's a good size parking lot outside the restaurant, which is a huge plus. In addition to the huge waits the Ridgewood place has street parking only.

. I mean technically speaking, Alain Ducasse is a chain.

Wow, that's quite a reach. Somebody must have spiked your syrup!! :raz:

He has ADPA, ADNY, and the two MIX restaurants, not to mention the three or four independently named ones like Plaza Athenee and Louis XV. It's a chain -- part of Groupe Alain Ducasse, any way you want to look at it, even though it is not a "franchise" chain. Anthony Bourdain's restaurant Les Halles NYC is part of a national chain. So are a number of other pretty good restaurants.

My point is, "chain" is not mutually inclusive with "crap".

He has ADPA, ADNY, and the two MIX restaurants, not to mention the three or four independently named ones like Plaza Athenee and Louis XV. It's a chain -- part of Groupe Alain Ducasse, any way you want to look at it, even though it is not a "franchise" chain. Anthony Bourdain's restaurant Les Halles  NYC is part of a national chain. So are a number of other pretty good restaurants.

My point is, "chain" is not mutually inclusive with "crap".

Wow, I guess you WERE serious-- "Chain" in terms of restaurants means a clone. When you walk into a chain restaurant, the menu is identical, the decor is similar, and if you closed your eyes, you could be in any one of the chain's outlets. An Outback in NJ is just like an Outback in Texas. Olive Garden is the same menu in all of their 100+ places. It has nothing to do with who actually owns the restaurant. It basically means a void of creativity. Strict guidelines.

But just because the same proprietor owns more than one place, doesn't make them a "chain". You will certianly know which of these Ducasse restos you are in, they are DIFFERENT!! It's not who owns the place, it's the "formula". Chains are clones!

Now, WHAT ABOUT REAL MAPLE SYRUP?!

It basically means a void of creativity. Strict guidelines.

It doesn't have to be that way at every chain -- the ones you mentioned conform that way and certainly that is true of franchise fast food restaurants, but not -every- chain. Certainly, the 5 Les Halles restaurants ( http://www.leshalles.net ) have individual differences about them and under no way would I consider them "chain food".

The Fort Lee Original Pancake House, for example, has specials on its menu and the Rentzis family has creative control over their particular franchises. So while they do serve dishes on the chain menu, they also have things that are not -- such as the specialty crepes they make there and the burgers they have at the other two OPH's they own.

It basically means a void of creativity. Strict guidelines.

It doesn't have to be that way at every chain -- the ones you mentioned conform that way and certainly that is true of franchise fast food restaurants, but not -every- chain. Certainly, the 5 Les Halles restaurants ( http://www.leshalles.net ) have individual differences about them and under no way would I consider them "chain food".

The Fort Lee Original Pancake House, for example, has specials on its menu and the Rentzis family has creative control over their particular franchises. So while they do serve dishes on the chain menu, they also have things that are not -- such as the specialty crepes they make there and the burgers they have at the other two OPH's they own.

Still doesn't make Ducasse's empire a "chain"...

It's a chain, Menton. It may be a very high end chain, but its a chain. He's got multiple MIX and SPOON locations worldwide, not to mention the two "AD" restaurants. Ergo, it is a chain.

It's a chain, Menton. It may be a very high end chain, but its a chain. He's got multiple MIX and SPOON locations worldwide, not to mention the two "AD" restaurants. Ergo, it is a chain.

I think that making this viewpoint known in a more public form would have quite a deleterious effect on your reputation as a food discussion guru...

Also, since Michelin has a policy against listing chain restos, you might have to move to get Louis XV expunged from their listings!!

ANOYONE FOR REAL MAPLE SYRUP?

Edited by menton1 (log)