• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blue Smoke

CathyL

I do have Hall and Oates in the CD player at home right now.

Too much information.

I am reminded that, a few weeks ago, I did see a (male) yuppie emerging from Blue Smoke threaten to punch out a woman who, allegedly, had brushed past him. One for Brett Easton Ellis. (Don't worry folks, reason prevailed.)

The Q has improved but may well be best avoided. However greens at Blue Smoke are burning: my standard at the Standard, w/ BS' BBQ spicedust and hot sauce, a glass of Rioja and cornbread. This could be the only jazz club in NY where one can also eat and drink. Maybe Billecart's the owners' fav w/ Q because it costs $!% a glass, but those pink bubbles taste just as good after brushing your teeth with toothpaste as with pork.

Edited by lissome (log)

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

but of course my favorite thing at les halles was always the nicoise. is there a pissaladiere too?

Drinking when we are not thirsty and making love at all seasons: That is all there is to distinguish us from the other Animals.

-Beaumarchais

The bbq mussels define the word "pointless": leathery, smoked rubber butt plugs. The "pulled" pork was like cat food, oversauced, chopped, seemingly 'pulled' from nowhere but a can of Fancy Feast. The brisket was shamefully, disgracefully dry, no "pink ring", no nothing, redolent only of wolverine jerky.

So Vic, tell us what you really feel about the place. Don't hold back...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

In our continuing quest for good eats, three of us (wife, myself and another gulleteer), decided to do BBQ this week (last time was pizza).

So after a late lunch sampler at Pearson's in Queens, we followed it up with a sidetrip to Blue Smoke while the Pearson's was fresh in our memories (and our guts).

The Fry Bread (southern fried zeppole) and BBQ Potato Chips were as good as ever. The Beef Ribs (not short ribs, more like the ribs off a prime rib), were pepper coated and delicious. BBQ? I dunno, I don't know enough for a purists definition, but pretty tasty all on their own. The St. Louis style pork spare ribs were different from the first time I et them here (back in June/July). These had more smoke flavor and were much more tender. Not falling off the bone, but close. I liked the taste of these also.

The "bar-none" killer was the burger! I had one medium rare. About eight ounces or so with a plate of good frozen (we think) French Fries. I used to make the burgers at The Four Seasons Restaurant. This was as good, maybe better. Good, good, quality meat (cooked MR). Salt and pepper and I don't know what else. I know that when I made burgers, I used to spike 'em with a little good greek (strong flavor) olive oil for that little extra something. These had that same great taste. A little pricey (about 10-11 bucks, if I recall), but worth it, IMO.

edit: If you haven't ever had Fitz's Root Beer, then what are you waiting for. This stuff is the Root Beer bomb!

2nd edit: Oh yeah! Anchor Steam on tap.

I'll be back.

YMMV

Nick

Edited by Nick Gatti (log)

... a plate of good frozen (we think) French Fries.

Wow, is this seriously possible ? Could a restaurant of this stature and price level really be serving frozen fries :shock:

They didn't strike me as frozen when I had them, but they were somewhat lacking in potato-ey flavor. However, they were very nicely crisped, and not at all oily.

I second the recommendation of the burger, and as another non-bbq expert, I thoroughly enjoyed both the St. Louis and Memphis ribs (haven't tried the Texas beef ribs yet). The corn bread is exceptional, and the Fitz's root beer is quite possibly the best I've ever had. Upon drinking it, I went to the website and found that they deliver, so for everyone with disposable income and a sweet tooth, they can be ordered from Fitz's Rootbeer.com.

"Long live democracy, free speech and the '69 Mets; all improbable, glorious miracles that I have always believed in."

• 2 months later...

Trust me, folks, I'm an Englishman. I have no immutable prejudice in favour of mesquite wood, no opinion as to the relative merits of pits as against grills, no mantra on the subject of slow smoking. I just wanted to eat a real hamburger, and a friend suggested I go to Blue Smoke. Sure, my friend is kind of an Italian American, but I nevertheless do trust his opinion even on the great American hamburger. In an event, given a choice between anywhere and Macdonalds, anywhere is going to win. :raz:

I arrived at Blue Smoke at 8pm on Wednesday and the place was heaving. It took ten minutes to get to order a beer at the bar (wow, they have over 40 beers on the list, and one of them is some fancy German beer at seven bucks a bottle !!!) and then I had to wait another fifteen minutes before I grabbed a vacant seat, New York style. Like I was sitting in it before the previous occupant had both feet on the ground.

I ordered a medium-rare burger with fries and coleslaw. There were no options on the burger; if yoyu wanted it fancy you had to be chef yourself with the many trimmings available as extras. The order took nearly thirty minutes to arrive, and I kept getting apologies from the bartender. However, since the Mets were getting seriously beaten by the Dodgers on the well-positioned TV, I hardly noticed. I also enjoyed watching (and smelling) the other dishes being served at the bar, and listening in on some very amusing conversations :raz: One group of five guys standing behind me ordered five bottles of the fancy German beer. Forty five bucks, said the bartender. A long delay, a heavy gulp and @Did you say forty five bucks?". "Yep". The money was handed over, and my guy said to his friends "This stuff iss nine bucks a bottle". He turned back to the bartender "This is nine bucks a bottle ?". "Sure, enjoy your drinks". Twenty minutes later, they oprdered another five of the same.

My food finally arrived. The fries were lukewarm, the burger piping hot and well done. But I didn't complain (I needed to be back at my apartment sometime that night) and I really enjoyed it. The meat was terrific, good flavor and texture, and the bun was just right. The fries were good, and although I can see why some people would say they were frozen, they were too uneven in size and shape (in my view) to be bought in. I liked the potato flavor, and the texture. Coleslaw was very good, if maybe just a tad on the vinegary side.

The beer, burger and fries, plus coleslaw, and coffee (which wasn't very good) came to $23 before tip. I had a great two hours in a fun atmosphere among lots of people having a good time, a burger of a quality I could never find in the UK, I got to see the Mets lose the ball game, and the whole thing came to $23. That has to be terrific value. I need to go back to Blue Smoke with a group so I can try those great looking and smelling chicken wings, iceberg lettuce and ribs that the people next to me were eating. Who goes to a BBQ restaurant for a burger ? Well now I do. Trust me, I'm an Englishman.

Heheh, very nice post macrosan. An enjoyable read through and through.

It seems like you're really enjoying your time in NYC.

Do you go often? Have any other notable destinations planned for this trip (food-wise)? WD-50 perhaps?

I had lunch at the bar yesterday (BBQ Chips, Burger, Fries and a beer). The burger was done perfectly medium rare. The bartender and another employee were talking , and I overheard one of them say:

"Who says that the New Yorker doesn't have clout. We've sold 50 burgers already, and it's not even 1:00 pm yet."

They've even updated the menu to show that the burger was voted best in NY on May 5th.

Hey, Superfly, did you overhear them talking about that Limey who was in there the other day and they made wait thirty minutes for the wrong burger, but he still left a tip ?  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Yes....they've been mourning your departure the moment you stepped out the door. :wink:

I usually ask for my burgers very very very rare. That way at least I'll get it just rare. But they got mine right at Blue Smoke (well, actually downstairs in the jazz club). That is one good burger. :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I read in our local newspaper (The Austin American-Statesman) that Danny Meyer and one of his chefs came to the Texas Hill Country Food & Wine Festival - primarily to partake of a barbecue fact-finding mission around central Texas.

Do any of y'all know if it affected his food??? Better? Worse? No noticeable change???

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Do any of y'all know if it affected his food???  Better?  Worse?  No noticeable change???

the burgers, up til my last visit last week, were still slightly over-done. not sure if that helps.

It's the brisket I'm most curious about. Everyone that actually knows anything about BBQ says that the brisket at Blue Smoke is subpar.

After reading in the Austin newspaper that Danny was hauling two of his chefs all around central Texas, I was wondering if it's made any difference in the quality of his brisket.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

It's the brisket I'm most curious about.  Everyone that actually knows anything about BBQ says that the brisket at Blue Smoke is subpar.

After reading in the Austin newspaper that Danny was hauling two of his chefs all around central Texas, I was wondering if it's made any difference in the quality of his brisket.

i've never had anything but the burgers there. :biggrin: for BBQ, i'd go over to the Rodeo bar, where they have that Pearson's (sp?) stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Had lunch at Blue Smoke today. Shared a rib sampler to start and then had a brisket sandwich. Some may differ, but I think that the quality of the meats has always been high and that their preparation has steadily improved to the point that I can recommend it to all. There have been steady, yet subtle changes.

The ribs (St. Louis, Baby Back and Beef) were prepared with a dry rub and smoked properly in a way that retained their moisture. The ribs were accompanied by a side of slaw that also was well-made. The brisket was thickly cut, well-trimmed and served on an excellent brioche bun. The sandwich was accompanied by pickles and the same slaw. Didn't have any extra sides, but did covet much of what was appearing at other tables. Service, as you'd expect was excellent - Iced tea was constantly replenished and orders were promptly served. It's not a shack in the country, but it is good barbeque in a comfortable setting.

Is there a TV in the bar? I might go on Thursday but I want to watch The US Open.

i don't think there are. why don't you go there for the meal, and then head out to somewhere else for your TV fix? hmm? ehhh?

edit: yeah, there are 2 TVs per macrosans below post.

Edited by tommy (log)