• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Dining at a Golf Course in Fraser Valley

With the weather (hopefully) changing for the better, this man's thoughts have begun to turn to golf. I enjoy a good meal after playing a round (it gives me time to justify how I could have possibly shot 120), and was hoping for some recommendations for the best combination of good golf and good clubhouse dining.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

With the weather (hopefully) changing for the better, this man's thoughts have begun to turn to golf.  I enjoy a good meal after playing a round (it gives me time to justify how I could have possibly shot 120), and was hoping for some recommendations for the best combination of good golf and good clubhouse dining.

I'd have to say that I've had memorable combinations at Northview and Morgan Creek. Watching fellow golfers attempt the approach shot to the green on Northview's Ridge course is great entertainment. If you like golfing Swaneset, their steak sandwich is quite amazing.

Thanks for the recommendations, guys.

Would there be enough interest to organize an eGullet golf tournament?

.... which would of course NOT be organized in forum. :biggrin:

Since I'm not a golfer you can take this for what it's worth .... but I second the Swan-E-Set rec from montrachet. I may be biased as I designed some of the millwork out there, but it's a beautiful facility, and the steak sandwiches and burgers are great.

A.

I know this might seem OT, but I just can't afford the time to go play golf and have dinner afterwards, so I usually stock up on food and drinks beforehand and smuggle them onto the course in my golf bag.

And this is really where half bottles of wine really shine. There is nothing quite like pairing a grassy New Zealnd Sauvignon Blanch with the 10th tee.

For food, I tend to favour biltong from Serengeti Foods in North Van. It keeps you going like Yemeni qaat.

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Very rarely do we stay behind and have a full meal at a course after a round. (Exceptions are when we go on a golf trip, ie not in the Lower Mainland.) Usually it is a pitcher before an afternoon nap on the couch. Then wake up, flag down the golf widow, and make dinner at home.

However, a friend of mine had his wedding reception at Morgan Creek and from what I can recall, the food was okay. Not quite a proper gauge to judge because it was buffet, but I can confirm that the room was beautifully laid out. How they get it to spin like that at the end of the night, I don't know. :wink:

Westwood is another popular wedding reception locale, so although I've never been there I could easily believe the food being served is very good.

Not exactly in the Valley, but Northlands in N.Van has a beautiful deck overlooking the 18th approach, and the food is not bad there either. When you're at a golf course, I think it's more about the setting rather than the food.

PS: Andrew, how the hell do you drink wine on a golf course?! Even a half-bottle. What a concept!

A morning round at Sandpiper in Harrison Mills where eagles strafe the salmon on the Harrison River. Pints at the clubhouse. A Farm Circle Tour (Farm House Cheeses and Swift Aqua Culture for sure). Dinner at Rowena's Inn on the River. Play the Steinway. Spend the night. A swim in the morning in the riverside pool. Repeat.

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"

Andrew, how the hell do you drink wine on a golf course?! Even a half-bottle. What a concept!

Are you intimating that I'm a madman because I'm not drinking beer? If so, you're mistaken. The front nine is always about beer. Wine only makes an appearance on the back nine.

There's something to be said for clarity. :biggrin:

Andrew Morrison

A morning round at Sandpiper in Harrison Mills where eagles strafe the salmon on the Harrison River. Pints at the clubhouse. A Farm Circle Tour (Farm House Cheeses and Swift Aqua Culture for sure). Dinner at Rowena's Inn on the River. Play the Steinway. Spend the night. A swim in the morning in the riverside pool. Repeat.

I second that recommendation! Rowena's is really lovely.

The golf course at Cultas Lake has just refurb'd the Bistro...it's not terrible.

And as I won the golf clubs in the Safeway Lucky Break contest thingie, maybe I will see you out there :-)

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

Andrew, how the hell do you drink wine on a golf course?! Even a half-bottle. What a concept!

Are you intimating that I'm a madman because I'm not drinking beer? If so, you're mistaken. The front nine is always about beer. Wine only makes an appearance on the back nine.

There's something to be said for clarity. :biggrin:

It's more of the idea of walking around with a bottle - or half-bottle - and a bag full of clubs. At Sandpiper, they actually sell bottled beer. What class, I thought! Except that twice the damned things fell over while I was setting up to swing, so I was right pissed not only because I made a bad shot, but also because my ever-consoling beer was gone.

Then reading your post, I imagined the loss of a nice pinot instead. Tragedy! But you obviously have a method to prevent spills, and don't tell me it's keeping it on the fairway.

It's more of the idea of walking around with a bottle

This is a clear attempt to out myself as a cart user, which I am (generations of kilted Morrisons groan). :laugh: I keep the half bottle cozy in the cupholder and dole out tots at each tee.

Andrew Morrison

It's more of the idea of walking around with a bottle

This is a clear attempt to out myself as a cart user, which I am (generations of kilted Morrisons groan). :laugh: I keep the half bottle cozy in the cupholder and dole out tots at each tee.

Yeah, I can see where you'd work up a thirst in this game. :hmmm:

Personally, I'd take Jamie's tour, and skip the back 9 ... unless Andrew was pouring.

A.

You can walk sober, or drive while drinking, no shame in that.

And I'm not a fan of dinner at Rowena's, they certainly have a fairly strong grasp on the concept of "substantial breakfast" which would be most filling until you made the turn. In fact I bet, (and this is pure unadulterated speculation) that they'd be happy to feed you breakfast at the turn, provided it wasn't too busy, and you organised it with the proshop and kitchen first.

And it's a superb golf course, as well as stellar accomodations in gorgeous surroundings. Close, too.

Andrew: Yes, I suspected as much. But no moans or groans here, a cart is perfectly acceptable as long as 1. it is boiling hot outside, or 2. there is major elevation change hole-to-hole, or 3. you have a bottle to keep upright, or 4. you are simply too hung over to walk. That last one sounds horrible, but I have seen it happen. :wink:

Back OT, Jamie your suggestion sounds like a great one.

Back OT, another non-Valley course that I've heard has good food facilities is Royal Colwood on the Island. Great, in fact. Can anyone attest?