• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Has anyone done the WSET level 3

Sackville

• 3 months later...

Hello 'sackville'

I'm curious to find out whether you've gone ahead with WSET Level 3?

I'm currently in Level 2 here in Toronto. We're trying out the new curriculum for the first time, which is based more on varietals than regions. Great so far, and I manage to come home with a half bottle or two of leftovers after every class!

Level 3 here is CDN $900 I think - about £400. I would love to take it from January and, fortunately, it should all turn out to be tax deductable (for career advancement, they say).

Kev

Edited by KevV (log)

if we're talking about the same thing here i did two wset courses, which i classed as beginners and advanced, if i did the next stage it would be the diploma which takes 2 years and is the stepping stone to master of wine.

the advanced course is good, it pretty much works in the same style as the beginners course but goes into more detail.

if you liked the first one, then you should like the second. It is a bit more difficult to pass the exam but it's not too hard.

you don't win friends with salad

I completed the Intermediate (level 2) and am currently in the midst of the Advanced (level 2) training. Gary is correct, it is similar to the level 2 but more detail. If I'd known this earlier, I probably would have saved the $$ and gone straight for level 3 from the beginning. The main addition to the level 3 exam that wasn't in level 2 is a blind tasting. I was worried about that at first but my confidence has gone up - I think if you just stick to the WSET tasting method it will be fine. My exam date is in December so I'll find out then!

Elaine

www.jelainemiller.com

Cheers,

JEM

I believe the centre which runs WSET courses here in Toronto doesn't allow people without the Level 2 to go into Level 3 - possibly, unless they have some other type of qualification. Does your centre go by different rules?

However, even though you've paid for 2 courses, jelainemiller - with wine courses, isn't it a case of the more the merrier?

I believe the centre which runs WSET courses here in Toronto doesn't allow people without the Level 2 to go into Level 3 - possibly, unless they have some other type of qualification.  Does your centre go by different rules?

The Philadelphia center allows people to go directly to the Advanced if they feel the student is ready. Check out: http://www.phillywine.com/wset.html#questions

However, even though you've paid for 2 courses, jelainemiller - with wine courses, isn't it a case of the more the merrier?

I couldn't agree more, but everyone has their own set of circumstances and I'm not sure what those are for sackville. My own situation is that I live in Michigan, where there is no WSET centers so I've done (and am doing) the home-study option offered by the Philly center. I didn't feel as though I missed out on much not being in classes for the Intermediate, but for the Advanced I think the in-class interaction would be very valuable indeed.

Cheers,

JEM

My own situation is that I live in Michigan, where there is no WSET centers so I've done (and am doing) the home-study option offered by the Philly center. I didn't feel as though I missed out on much not being in classes for the Intermediate, but for the Advanced I think the in-class interaction would be very valuable indeed.

My experience with distance learning courses is that they're much better if you know a fellow student you can discuss things with (and taste with in this case). However, I'm sure that with this type of subject you already know people who are willing to 'help'.

Good luck with your course. I like being in class too, but home study still must be lots of fun.

Kev

• 3 weeks later...
Hello 'sackville'

I'm curious to find out whether you've gone ahead with WSET Level 3?

I'm currently in Level 2 here in Toronto.  We're trying out the new curriculum for the first time, which is based more on varietals than regions.  Great so far, and I manage to come home with a half bottle or two of leftovers after every class!

Level 3 here is CDN $900 I think - about £400.  I would love to take it from January and, fortunately, it should all turn out to be tax deductable (for career advancement, they say).

Kev

Kev;

Would appreciate knowing where you are taking the course in Toronto - am interested and would appreciate your comments on location / quality of content / cost etc. Thanks. Vine

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Hey there,

I was just wondering what you decided regarding Level 3. Is it "worth it" to you?

:smile:

Cheers,

JEM

Just went to look up this thread today... I am doing my exam tonight :blink: and just taking a wee study break now.

I am really glad I did the course. To avoid confusion, this is the Advanced Certificate, NOT the diploma, which takes about 2 years to complete. Even though I'm not in the trade, it's been a great learning experience and one I found very relevant to the 'everyday' wine drinker.

Now, let's just hope the exam goes okay!

I have been looking at the WSET programs and am looking at attending in NYC. If you have a decent knowledge of wine, are there tangible benefits to doing a level or two if you aren't committed to eventually going for the Master of Wine certification? Not that I wouldn't take a couple to gain an even greater knowledge and appreciation of wine, but I am just curious.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

I have been looking at the WSET programs and am looking at attending in NYC.  If you have a decent knowledge of wine, are there tangible benefits to doing a level or two if you aren't committed to eventually going for the Master of Wine certification?  Not that I wouldn't take a couple to gain an even greater knowledge and appreciation of wine, but I am just curious.

I completed level three (advanced certificate).

in NYC.

I would say that level three was quite rigorous.

The next level (diploma) is a three year (really two) course of study that provides a platform for the master of Wine course.--all this education gets quite intense.

level two and three can be quite beneficial for a wine lover--my advice would be to make sure you are really comfortable with the level two stuff (beginner and intermediate combined) before going into level three--as one could find themselves in over their head a bit.

the teachers are quite good--and the classes are fun (but again quite rigorous) and you will gain not only quite a bit of formal knowledge but also some experience at formal tasting and evaluation of wine.