• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Transfer Sheets in Vancouver?

Do they exist? I've found a number of US sites that sell them, but I'm hoping to purchase locally if possible. Ideally, I'm looking for a good selection of styles, preferably coloured sheets (red hearts, floral motifs, etc. ) over the typical gold swirls or coffee beans. I don't even know where to begin trying to track them down, so I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks!! :smile:

I believe Dominique Jarry of Sugar Arts sells them or at least he used to. He is located in Steveston and can be reached at 604-271-8803. It's best to call ahead and make an appointment. I'll check at work tomorrow for contact info of some other places that sell them but I suspect they may be more bakery/commerical suppliers that you may or may not have access to - I'll PM those to you.

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

I'll check at work tomorrow for contact info of some other places that sell them but I suspect they may be more bakery/commerical suppliers that you may or may not have access to - I'll PM those to you.

Would appreciate if you could post any bakery suppliers that sell to the public.

I would like to purchase some acetate (for lining mousse cakes) and other supplies for making cakes (magi-strips, bulk cardboard rounds, etc.).

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

You can find the magi-strips and the cardboard rounds at Ming Wo. You can also find cardboard rounds at Basic Stock. Both places sell the rounds for just under $5 (probably an 11" circle...they're big enough for my 9" cakes).

Thanks for the suggestions, Ling. I did check out Ming Wo and wasn't able to find much of what I was looking for. No acetate and cake holders of any kind (glass or plastic). I didn't even bother asking about the magi-strips.

Do you reuse your cardboard rounds? I also need some deep, rectangular cake pans, so I thought I would try to find an equipment supplier where I could buy everything at once.

I've seen the Magi-strips at the Ming Wo in Lansdowne. Unfortunately, their baking section is very limited, so it may be a better bet to check Basic Stock on W. 4th.

I have never tried the Magi-strips before. I use the 9" Cuisinart non-stick, straight-edged round pans, and my cakes turn out well, and never stick. The pans are about $15 each at Basic Stock.

I'm a home baker, and yes, I do re-use my cardboard rounds. A quick wipe with a damp cloth and it's clean--just be careful not to get the unprotected cardboard on the bottom wet. However, if I'm bringing a cake to someone's house, I don't ask for the cardboard round back. :smile:

However, if I'm bringing a cake to someone's house, I don't ask for the cardboard round back.

How are you transporting your cakes? I have refrained from making four layer cakes (2 x 9" rounds split into four layers) chiefly because I don't have a way to transport them safely or even store them in our fridge.

I suppose I could go to a bakery and offer to buy a few of their boxes, but I'd prefer something airtight for refrigerator storage. When I was a kid, my parents had a tupperware cake holder, but I haven't seen one for sale locally.

I have been getting really great plastic rounds for my cakes...totally washable and only about a dollar each, which is nice, since I am a reuser. I get them from a cake shop here in Chilliwack but I believe they are Wilton products. Michael's Craft Stores have a shocking amount of cake decorating stuff - at least the one in Abbotsford does, as well as acetate and rounds and a huge selection of food coloring paste and pretty much any Wilton item you might want. They have locations in West Van, North Van, Langley and Poco as well as a bunch of others.

Here's the link:

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/home

If you want to order online and don't mind dropping a few bucks, here is a great place called PCB that I sometimes order things from - they have the most beautiful transfers:

http://www.pcb-creation.fr/

As for the Tupperware...

http://order.tupperware.com/pls/htprod_www/home

They have a Round Cake Taker, a Rectangle Cake Taker and a Pie Stacker. And you can buy online... no party, no tupperware lady harassing you. :rolleyes: and no, I am not a Tupperware Lady.

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I have been getting really great plastic rounds for my cakes...totally washable and only about a dollar each, which is nice, since I am a reuser. 

Thanks for the info. I'll look out for the plastic rounds and maybe ask a cake shop to sell me some acetate/rounds. Will check out Michael's this weekend.

I'm still undecided about the Tupperware option. Not the nicest looking option, but if it works...

Also, apologies to JeniH for hijacking her thread. :biggrin:

Actually, if you are looking for a Cake Taker, check out second hand stores and garage sales...I have some interesting vintage items that are fun and funky. They aren't airtight, but they are good for transport and service. I got one at Value Village that is a crystal cut plastic...very 50's - tacky and all that, but it's a great conversation piece. I like going to sales of the 'Granny passed, let's sell her stuff' variety. You can find the coolest stuff.

Scott Stratten

Yeah, I was kind of wondering about that myself :smile:

I think Ling would be a pleasure to cook for...and I will forever be jealous of her apparent ability to eat like a linebacker, all the while maintaining that trim little figure. Life just isn't fair sometimes. :biggrin:

Scott Stratten

Fair, my eye. Where do you think she is at 11:00 p.m. each night? At the gym! But Ling's very careful not to bake any cakes heavier than 5 lbs, as she could hurt herself transporting them. Just ask her. I'm not kidding. :raz:

And no, her cakes do not escape the kitchen without being eaten. Ever read the Breakfast! thread? That's what she eats every morning between bites of Scharffen Berger. You see, that's why she delivers wrapped cake samples to us Arne. Because she consumes half the cake before we get a chance to see it. :wink:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

In case Sugar Arts doesn't pan out (I heard today that Dominique may be currently out of the country), you might also try Qzina. I know they sell the transfer sheets (as well as LOTS of other neat things associated with chocolate) and they have a local office in Richmond. What I don't know is if Qzina will sell to the public directly. Qzina phone number from their website is 604-274-2626.

Hope you are successful with one of these local sources!

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Currently reading:

Just finished reading:

Fair, my eye.  Where do you think she is at 11:00 p.m. each night?  At the gym!  But Ling's very careful not to bake any cakes heavier than 5 lbs, as she could hurt herself transporting them.  Just ask her.  I'm not kidding.   :raz:

And no, her cakes do not escape the kitchen without being eaten.  Ever read the Breakfast! thread?  That's what she eats every morning between bites of Scharffen Berger.  You see, that's why she delivers wrapped cake samples to us Arne.  Because she consumes half the cake before we get a chance to see it.   :wink:

Not every night at 11pm--just Monday-Thursday. Which, coincidentally, is when my gym crush goes too! Maybe this has something to do with my dedication.... :wink: But yes, it's not a secret--I do have to exercise or else I wouldn't be able to fit through the door at HSG. And that would mean I would be forever separated from the gingerbread pudding--sad, indeed.

Joie's right--I bake about 4 or 5 times a week, and half of whatever I bake, whether cake or brownies or a few dozen cookies, ends up in my stomach in about an hour. :raz: Quality control, you know. I want to know that everything I'm giving away meets my rigorous standards. :wink:

I transport my cakes in a rather rudimentary way--smear of filling directly on the cake round (like glue), then top with cake, filling, and additional layers. Then I wrap the whole thing in a few hundred layers of foil, and transport the frosting in a plastic container and apply it on-site. :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

And no, her cakes do not escape the kitchen without being eaten.  Ever read the Breakfast! thread?  That's what she eats every morning between bites of Scharffen Berger.  You see, that's why she delivers wrapped cake samples to us Arne.  Because she consumes half the cake before we get a chance to see it.  :wink:

Did you see what she had for breakfast yesterday???? Chocolate shortbread with walnuts!

I wanna go live at Ling's house. But only after I adopt her metabolism. Sigh.

And thanks be to to Lemon Curd for the Qzina link...and I am wondering - all those wonderful frozen fruit purees - do you know if they would be suitable for making jam with? Do you know anything about or have you used the product?

Scott Stratten

I have been getting really great plastic rounds for my cakes...totally washable and only about a dollar each, which is nice, since I am a reuser.  I get them from a cake shop here in Chilliwack but I believe they are Wilton products. 

Badiane - what else do they sell at this shop? Is it worth making the trip out?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

And thanks be to to Lemon Curd for the Qzina link...and I am wondering - all those wonderful frozen fruit purees - do you know if they would be suitable for making jam with?  Do you know anything about or have you used the product?

The Boiron fruit purees are a very good quality product. I've used them for fruit jellies and fruit mousses. I don't know that I'd make jam from them as I would prefer to have fruit pieces in my jam, but I can't think of a good reason why they wouldn't make a good jelly if you don't have access to fresh fruit. There's a lot more information on the purees on the UK Boiron website. They have some recipes as well as some documentation you can download on how to make pate a fruits, sorbets, fruit ice creams etc... No recipes for jelly/jam - would be interested to hear if others have tried making jam/jelly from these purees.

I first learned about the Boiron purees when I was at Dubrulle and volunteered as a student helper when Thomas Haas taught an evening class at Dubrulle. I believe he uses the Boiron purees for his fruit jellies.

Currently reading:

Just finished reading:

Badiane - what else do they sell at this shop? Is it worth making the trip out?

Thanks, Lemon Curd...I might have to buy some in an exotic flavor and give it a go...I loathe chunks of fruit in my jam, so probably I wouldn't mind them.

As for the shop in Chilliwack, it's a section in Dicken's Sweets, a British food shop, tea room, bake shop and museum. I wouldn't say they have anything that you can't get at Michaels. If you were here, it would be a good stop, but to make the trip, well, depends on you, I guess. They have cake rounds of all shapes and sizes, as well as a good selection of cellophane bags for candy and boxes for choccies and little paper cups and things. They also have some premade candy fillings in piping bags, but I don't know the quality of them, as well as lots of candy making supplies. They have a good selection of cake pans, for sale as well as rentals, and disposable piping bags, food colorings and the like. It's really just one aisle in a bigger shop, but if you are looking for something specific, just call Dickens Sweets and ask.

Does anyone know a supplier for dry food coloring powder?

Scott Stratten

Ming Wo has a lot of colours, gel and powder. Another place to try for cake decorating stuff is the Scoop'n'Save in Surrey on the King George Hwy. Weird name, but they have a lot of cool stuff. Lots of shiny powders.

Edited to say: the Ming Wo in Capilano Mall is the one I usually go to, they do have a good array of cake stuff.

Edited by choux (log)