• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Doubling, Tripling, etc. Recipes

taylor214

The one thing that I love about this site is that the members have a variety of backgrounds. I truly appreciate the advice from all. Sarah, I appreciated your response as it was truly helpful. The same thing goes for Wendy. Actually, both of you are very similar in your approach: while there are "rules", you are both daring enough to deviate from them in order to find your own results. There is a wealth of information out there. What I have learned to do is to read everything that is presented to me and conduct my own "experiment", in turn, becoming just as daring as the two of you! :biggrin:

Back to the topic:

Is that website suppsed to be The Artisan ?

Brownsugar,  are you familiar with baker's percentage?  This makes it easy to scale up or down in certain recipes like breads, some cakes, brownies etc.  If you look on artisan.net  they have and interactive page where you can plug in desired amount or servings but you do need the weight of the ingredients.  The CIA baking and pastry book also is helpful. 

Woods

I've tried the artisan.net link, but end up getting forwarded to a page called turbide.net. Any better info for the actual site?

devlin, its actually theartisan.net

I sincerely hope that you don't feel like your defending yourself! Please, no. We/I are all about communicating and sharing opinions.............and totally against any kind of personal confrontations. These couple of posts are not about who's right or wrong...........no way........were just talking details...........like one talks details in recipes..........to learn. I'm delighted that your a member here Sarah and I hope that I've in no way offended you. If I have, please accept my sincere apology.

No problem, Wendy. Thanks for your nice note!

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

The one thing that I love about this site is that the members have a variety of backgrounds. I truly appreciate the advice from all.  Sarah, I appreciated your response as it was truly helpful.  The same thing goes for Wendy.  Actually, both of you are very similar in your approach: while there are "rules", you are both daring enough to deviate from them in order to find your own results. There is a wealth of information out there.  What I have learned to do is to read everything that is presented to me and conduct my own "experiment", in turn, becoming just as daring as the two of you!  :biggrin: 

Back to the topic: 

Is that website suppsed to be The Artisan ?

Brownsuga,

I'm glad that I was so helpful to you and I could be a good role model. As I always say, if I can be a mentor or role model to at least one baker or to encourage someone, then I'm going in the right direction! I can't speak for Wendy, but she seems to have her heart in the same place.....

Happy Baking! Sarah Phillips, President and Founder, http://www.baking911.com

I have successfully multiplied my scratch yellow, chocolate and carrot cakes. The yellow cake is my most popular flavor so I've multiplied it by as many as three times (for a 12" round cake pan) and it worked well. Since I have a 6 quart KitchenAid, I have to make it in batches if I want bigger cakes than that.

But I've multiplied all of the ingredients in duplicate and triplicate and it has worked out fine for me. I bake all of my cakes at 300 degrees Farenheit in a gas oven. My cakes bake a little more slowly but they bake more evenly, they don't get humps or domes and they tend to be rather level (for the most part). I got that tip from taking a baking class with Scott Clark Woolley a while back and it's worked well for me.

I know Rose Levy Beranbaum gets into this in the Cake Bible and talks about something called the "Rose Factor." I've never really understood the "Rose Factor" but supposedly it's a formula on how to multiply scratch cakes properly.

Brownsugar,  are you familiar with baker's percentage?  This makes it easy to scale up or down in certain recipes like breads, some cakes, brownies etc.  If you look on artisan.net  they have and interactive page where you can plug in desired amount or servings but you do need the weight of the ingredients.  The CIA baking and pastry book also is helpful. 

Woods

I've tried the artisan.net link, but end up getting forwarded to a page called turbide.net. Any better info for the actual site?

devlin, its actually theartisan.net

Got it! Thanks so much.