• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mixing with limoncello

limewine

I've been enjoying the lovely batch of limoncello I recently made using Katie's recipe from the limoncello thread. But, being someone who just can't leave well-enough alone, I've been fiddling with using it in cocktails. I'm not finding much reference material out there--none of the older bartending guides I have utilize it in drinks--and I was wondering if anybody has done much experimentation with limoncello? I'm looking to expand beyond the "put some in a glass of iced tea" recipes, and the basic use in a Lemon Drop.

Here's one experiment that worked out well, I think. I've named it in honor of the length of time it's taken me to post it on this site.

Procrastination Cocktail

2 ounces London dry gin

3/4 ounce dry vermouth

3/4 ounce limoncello

wee dash of green Chartreuse

Stir with ice & strain into chilled cocktail glass

(if you want a drier drink, reduce both the vermouth and limoncello to 1/2 ounce)

Suggestions?

Paul

Paul Clarke

Seattle

The Cocktail Chronicles

I've been enjoying Limonritas lately.

2 oz. gold tequila

1 oz. limoncello

1/2 oz. Grand Marnier or Gran Gala

Sour mix

Shake over ice and serve up or on the rocks. Very refreshing.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

a few years ago in sorrento we found that tonic cuts nicely through the sweetness of the drink (I don't know how sugary yours is though).

from that, back home i've not strayed too far from adding a hefty splash to a gin and tonic and making a sort of granita with canteloupes - basically put a canteloupe in the blender with 1/2 C of limoncello, about a tsp. of salt and then freeze it, stirring every 20 minutes.

"There never was an apple, according to Adam, that wasn't worth the trouble you got into for eating it"

-Neil Gaiman

My Limoncello batch just finished the other day and it is great. My wife is mixing it in her Scarlet O'Hara's. She loves Southern Comfort. I just got a new book called "Raising the Bar" by Nick Mautone. He has several receipies for drinks using Limoncello. One I want to try is called a "Maraschino Highball". He has a receipe for making your own Marachino cherries instead of using the things from the jar.

It calls for equal parts Limocello and Marachino liqueur with twice the amount of both orange and lemon juice. A small amout of the juice from the cherries is added to the glass along with a cherrie followed by the Limoncello the marachino liqueur and the juices. Sounds very refreshing.

• 18 years later...

I was in the mood for something lemony but not too sweet and thought gin and limoncello would hit the spot.  A search over on Kindred Cocktails pointed me to the Procrastination cocktail that Paul Clarke @limewine kicked off this topic with.  He also shared it on his The Cocktail Chronicles website here.  In the comments section of that post, Chuck Taggart @Sazerac chimed in and shared a recipe for the Lemony Snicket cocktail created by Ted Haigh, Dr. Cocktail.  I still haven't made the Procrastination but the Lemony Snicket is very nice.  Given the volumes, this can easily be 2 smallish cocktails rather than one very large one. 

The Lemony Snicket Cocktail created by Ted Haigh in 2003 recipe available here on Chuck Taggart's blog 

2-1/2 ounces gin.
1/2 ounce fresh lemon juice.
1/2 ounce limoncello.
1/2 ounce yellow Chartreuse.

Combine all ingredients with cracked ice in a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously, then strain into a frosted cocktail glass. Garnish with one stemless cherry.

In his post, Chuck also shares this -

Cocktail pairing idea: At the 2007 Spirited Dinner at Arnaud’s at Tales of the Cocktail in New Orleans, Ted and fellow bartender Chris Hannah (of Arnaud’s French 75 Bar) served this alongside an asparagus and brie soup.

I had some asparagus on hand but no brie so I made an asparagus and Mt. Tam soup and can confirm that the cocktail is an excellent pairing with the soup. 

• Thanks 1

Is the yellow chartreuse used just for color or is it really needed?

Not sure  I'll be able to source it around here.

Edited by lindag (log)

4 minutes ago, lindag said:

Is the yellow chartreuse used just for color or is it really needed?

Not sure  I'll be able to source it around here.

It's definitely adding some herbal flavor. The color is pretty subtle. 

• 2 weeks later...