• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurant/Bar Kits Beach-Looks Like a Prison

See, here's why I should be in charge on things. If I ran the zoo, the tower wouldn't be used for anything as pedestrian as a lifeguard tower, (why do we even have lifegaurds? You go into the ocean, you become part of the food chain, sometimes you're the predator, sometimes the prey. It's pure Darwinism in action.) No, I'd use it for drying/curing fat Fraser Valley hams. There'd be a lovely perfume all through Kits, plus the salty sea breezes would probably do great things for "English Bay Proscuitto."

I swear, there's no vision in this city.

See, here's why I should be in charge on things. If I ran the zoo, the tower wouldn't be used for anything as pedestrian as a lifeguard tower, (why do we even have lifegaurds? You go into the ocean, you become part of the food chain, sometimes you're the predator, sometimes the prey. It's pure Darwinism in action.) No, I'd use it for drying/curing fat Fraser Valley hams. There'd be a lovely perfume all through Kits, plus the salty sea breezes would probably do great things for "English Bay Proscuitto."

I swear, there's no vision in this city.

Truly Keith, you are my hero.

A.

It looks like a misplaced life-guard station. :raz:

You know, that actually could be it. There was one on the old concession.

Edited to add

Okay, I just read more carefully upthread, and someone else already pointed this out :wacko:

Edited by annanstee (log)

The sea was angry that day my friends... like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli.

George Costanza

I was by there yesterday, no workers could be seen.

It is very stark, I heard someone wish there was a bigger patio at which to drink.

They refer to it as a licensed restaurant. We have all seen those operating like a bar.

Who owns this? A pub chain!

If they can pull that off, while feeding the masses...

They will print money.

CC

• 3 weeks later...

Rhonda Marie May publishes an excerpt from Watermark's latest press relase in today's Daily CityFood.

Watermark On Kits Beach may still look like the bare bones of an unfinished beachside motel (the photo above is ten days old) but the powers that be claim the opening is still on for July and that the construction will enter a speed up phase over the next two weeks. Well, that’s the optimistic version anyway.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

the opening is still on for July and that the construction will enter a speed up phase over the next two weeks.

Ah Yes that's known in the trade as Going at it hammer & tongs and is the cause of a lot of probs later in a building's life. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Has it opened yet ?

Anyone been by ?

I play volleyball at Kits Beach every Wednesday night and walk by Watermark on my way to the 4 porta-potties they are using to compensate for the temporary loss of the beach-house washroom facilities.

A couple observations:

• Prison? No. Public Library? Yes.
  • I hope they're working mostly inside, because from the outside, there has been little visible progress over the last 3 weeks (other than the new turf).
  • The upper deck patio is going to kick ass!

I'll be visiting later this summer for sure. Once you find parking at Kits, you just don't want to move. Location-wise (with apologies to Sam) this place has it.

A.

• 2 weeks later...

As the title of this thread was limited to a perceived exterior aesthetic challenge, I've begun a new one to encourage discussion about the food and beverage program and interior design at Watermark.

Please join us there

from the thinly veneered desk of:

Jamie Maw

Food Editor

Vancouver magazine

www.vancouvermagazine.com

Foodblog: In the Belly of the Feast - Eating BC

"Profumo profondo della mia carne"