• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dining lists

We ended up at Flying Fish. It doesn't feel like a yuppie singles bar to me at all. Lots of groups of friends, couples, a few singles...we had a cozy booth under the mezzanine. The food is the thing. Nice wine list too. We shared 4 appetizers - avocado soup, spring rolls, calamari, and soft shelled crab, a "large platter" of saucy lobster in shell, and two desserts. Everything was quite tasty, especially the lobster and the grappa brownie. (The other dessert was a lemon tart.) No one rushed us, service was good, cutlery well supplied. The place was pretty full for a Monday night, but not jammed. Try it MsRamsey and let us know what you think.

Sounds great! Thanks for the report.

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I've always liked Flying Fish, never had a bad meal there. Last summer, had a memorablemeal on their patio outside. Last time I ate there, our server screwed up and told us that a marsala sauce was a merlot sauce (probably just a slip of the tongue), but that was the only blunder I've noticed in service.

Food is always good, or close to perfection. I love the kitchen's take on Thai style crab cakes. I think lemongrass is the secret weapon.

Funny, I never had the impression that this was a singles bar or pick-up place. In fact, I've always thought of it as pretty casual and very friendly to us old married folk.

Now don't get me started on Christine Keff's other restaurant, Fandango. I thought the food was good and interesting, but I really didn't like the atmosphere, which I thought was very "see and be seen" and I am not that kind of diner at all. It's a very "pretty" crowd. But I bet there's someone out there who didn't get that impression at all :)

A palate, like a mind, works better with exposure and education and is a product of its environment.

-- Frank Bruni

• 4 weeks later...

Restaurants in my neighborhood that I've never eaten in, but would like to try:

611 Supreme

Rosebud

El Greco

Karam's (I think that's the name; Middle Eastern place on 15th?)

Machiavelli

Bimbo's Bitchin' Burrito Kitchen

Tango

I've been discouraged from including Galerias (apparently I don't want to eat there).

These places have all been here as long as we've lived on Capitol Hill, since 1996, within walking distance, but I've never eaten there once. I keep meaning to check them out, but when we're grabbing a quick meal in the neighborhood, it's usually an old (cheap) reliable like Siam on Broadway, La Cocina, or Pagliacci. Cassis would be an old reliable, but as it's not (cheap), I've only eaten there once.

Opinions on my list are welcomed; MsRamsey has recommended El Greco, so we'll try to visit soon.

Hungry Monkey May 2009

I had a crepe at 611 a few years back. It was okay, didn't rush back.

I had lunch at Rosebud - same reaction - years ago.

Have heard excellent reports on El Greco from a couple of reliable eaters.

Had dinner once at Karam's. Bad energy and I got tired of the garlic. Felt like I needed a shower after, from both.

Had a great tapas and dessert dinner at Tango, but haven't been back. Don't know why. Not cheap. And doesn't have the rep of Harvest Vine (still on my list.)

Cassis would be an old reliable, but as it's not (cheap), I've only eaten there once.

Laurie,

What did you order when you were at Cassis, and how did you like it? I have had Cassis on my radar screen the last couple of weeks since I read a favorable article in the Seattle Times about their Bouillabase.

Has anyone else eaten at Cassis?

I have!

I had the cassoulet, which was delicious, although I'm not a longtime cassoulet connoisseur like John Whiting. I enjoyed the carrot-fennel salad enough to recreate it (fairly successfully, once I got a mandoline) at home.

Laurie probably remembers whether we had dessert. If we did, it didn't make a big impression on me.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

Cassis has been one of my faves for some time. I ate there recently after not visting for quite a while (moved off Cap Hill a couple years ago). I thought it was still great! My wife had the cassoulet and, as Mamster said, it is pretty fantastic. I'd prefer more beans and less meat, but that's splitting hairs. I had the lamb shank which was also excellent. Dessert was the chocolate marquise, which should be illegal.

Cassis is particlularly good if you like to try interesting pates and other charcuterie. They make there own for the most part and come up with some pretty interesting stuff. On my last visit it was venison pate, maybe not my favorite ever, but definately worth a try. We also had the mussels, which were done in a typcial French style and were very good.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Since Cassis seems to be on many minds - they are hosting the Evening at Boomtown in August - 3rd Wednesday, reservations required. $20 for a three course meal (one entree, plus vegetarian option). All proceeds to charity. Last month, Tom Douglas did a fantastic job with this (even gave out host favors!) It may not be the best way to judge a restaurant, but it is a good way to help out and get a sample of the host restaurant's style. www.Boomtowncafe.org

Thanks for posting the info about Boomtown, tsquare. Is anyone interested in joining up to make reservations?

Someone on the other site mentioned that Avenue One is about to bite the dust. Can anyone confirm this? I looked for something from Nancy Leson at the Seattle Times site, but there was nothing.

I'm wondering what the situation is with "Taste of the Town" at the Times. The website says her column is "each Wednesday," but clearly this is not the case (unless the Times is for some reason not putting them up on the website). It seems as though the Seattle Weekly has now filled in the gap with coverage of openings, closings, and rumors thereof, and the Times is lagging far behind.

Just curious.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

I think Nancy Leson just has the opportunity to take some vacation time. That's what was in the print edition on Wednesday.

I just walked by Avenue One - and the letter on the door announces that they are indeed closed.

Since Cassis seems to be on many minds - they are hosting the Evening at Boomtown in August - 3rd Wednesday, reservations required. $20 for a three course meal (one entree, plus vegetarian option). All proceeds to charity.

What a great deal. Wish I could go, but can't make it that week. :sad:

That is sad news about Avenue One, too.

• 5 weeks later...

Since this thread had a lot of discussion of Cassis, I thought I'd post here instead of creating a new topic.

I had a great dinner at Cassis last night, including one of the best calamari preparations I've ever come accross. I can't decide if the squid was sauteed or just steamed, but it was served on this great ginger-shallot sauce with diced fresh green onions tossed with the squid. If you're a calamari lover, make a point of trying it before they rotate it off the menu....

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

La Tienda Cadiz (on 15th) really intrigues me.  Anyone have anything to report?

I ate at La Tienda Cadiz for the first time last night and thought it was excellent. Started with the tagine vegetables which, if my tastebuds and eyes served, included chickpeas, green olives, onions, tomatos, eggplant and some amazingly complex seasoning that I couldn't quite deconstruct. It's cooked in a pyramid shaped ceramic thing that is called a tagine. The consistency of the whole thing reminded me of ratatouille.

For the main course my friend and I had the paella which I thought was as good as any I've had this side of the pond. All seafood though (no chicken or sausage) which is fine for me but doesn't meet the technical definition of paella for some I know. Generous amounts of shrimp, clams, calamari, etc. combined with heavily seasoned (in a good way) rice made this a winner.

We had a really nice bottle of Rebeira del Duero (can't remember the maker at the moment) that I thought was very reasonably priced. I thought the whole meal was a really good value and it was a great evening to be able to sit outside. I'll definately be back....

• 4 weeks later...

Au Bouchon?? Are you talking something local, lastsupper?!

I'm dying to go to Matt's in the Market (yes, that's right, I've still not been) and Harvest Vine (not been there either). A sad situation that needs to be corrected.

Born Free, Now Expensive

This seems like a good place to note that La Tienda Cadiz is kaput.  No Cadiz, no James Cook--where am I going to buy cheese?

Man, that was FAST! I tried to go to Cadiz once, but the friend I was with refused (not based on any logical reasons, mind you).

Cheese:

Larry's

Spanish Table

DiLaurenti

The grumpy cheese lady near Crystal Meats

Is there some reason you avoid the Pike Market cheese vendors? Enlighten me!

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Big John's Pacific Food Imports, but you probably already know about them mamster. It pains me to buy cheese anywhere else in the city.

Yeabut their selection is pretty small, isn't it? I don't think I can get Neal's Yard stuff there.

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

Yes, Au Bouchon used to be this awesome Spanish restaurant called La Bodega. Well . . . not awesome perhaps, but very good and authentic (copious amounts of olive oil, garlic etc.). Apparently Au Bouchon has the same owners (Basque husband, French wife), but the place went French. Sounded promising.

I need to get to Harvest Vine also! I can't believe I haven't been yet. It has to be better than all these "small plates" and cute "shareable" tapas joints that are spreading like leprosy.

I mean, Mexican and Spanish food are, like, the same thing, right?

This seems like a good place to note that La Tienda Cadiz is kaput....

Wow, that is really too bad. I only ate there once, but thought it was great. Have to add another entry to my list of favorites who have gone out of business on the other thread.... :sad:

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Au Bouchon used to be this awesome Spanish restaurant called La Bodega. Well . . . not awesome perhaps, but very good and authentic (copious amounts of olive oil, garlic etc.). Apparently Au Bouchon has the same owners (Basque husband, French wife), but the place went French. Sounded promising.

I never quite got the drift here - as it followed a string of restaurant closing announcements - but as of today, they are open. Just in case anyone else was confused.