• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Milk Braise

hotMeat

I recently had a milk braised veal at August in NYC's West Village and was immediately enamored. I brought the idea home with me and tried to reproduce it with reasonable success. I used a full sholder which was delectably cheap. Seered it, threw it in with some mirepoix and herbs and about a half gallon of whole milk at 250 for about 6 hours. It was great!

I'd like to try next time to use my new preassure cooker. The one thing I wish got right was the liquid which curdled to a point that was beyond usable. Anyone have any ideas how this can be prevented or worked around.

Overall it was an experiment with which I was very happy and I was able to feed 6 or 7 with about $10 worth of meat and it was real tasty.

Snozberry. Who ever heard of a snozberry.

-Veruca Salt

marinate the meat in milk that is steeped with spices and herbs. Then disregard the marinade and braise the meat in stock. The marinade adds flavor and tenderizes the meat but should not be used to try and make a final sauce. It works well with pork and game meat as well.

I have tried a chicken recipe from Jaime Oliver that is a milk braise, with lemon and sage, that I love. It considers the curdling an asset, because by adding lemon to the milk it creates a type of cheese. I serve it as recommended with polenta. Otherwise, I agree with Epernay, if you want to avoid the curdling.

Emma Peel

I did this dish for my girlfriends Mother first the milk will curdle secondly we used to do it with roast loin of pork in the restaurant, as for the curdling take your meat out break the curds up I used to use a whisk then strain through a seive it'll still be curdled but here comes the magic get a hand blender/liqidizer (it like turning butter and milk back into cream) and whizz till smooth add enough cream and reduce until it the right consistency I was led to believe that this was an Italian dish so veal is probably the truer recipe this is the only way I will eat pork it sauce full of bay,garlic, thyme and rosemary more bay for me, but dont throw your sauce away it's the best bit.

Hope this helps

Perfection cant be gained, but it can be strived for :huh:

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

marinate the meat in milk that is steeped with spices and herbs.

How long do you marinate for?

I marinate for about 48 hours but it got to have a fair wack off garlic I reckon the garlic splits the milk as well see further down for recipe

Perfection cant be gained, but it can be strived for :huh:

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

I make a milk-braised pork dish and the best part is the curdled sauce at the end.  Did you try it, was it really off?  It may not be much to look at but it captures the meat essences and the sweetness of the milk together.  Maybe pass the sauce through a strainer to get it to look a little better?

I agree with Kevin that the best part is curdled sauce. I make this really nice dish with pork loin in either an Italian version or a Spanish version. For the Italian one I use sage and lemon in the braise, but I've seen recipes that uses rosemary instead. The spanish version uses bay leafs and cinnamon.

Christofer Kanljung