• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ISO: A Decent Granita

With spring here, the quest for Seattles best coffee granita resumes. (And chances are, it won't be found at SBC)

Obviously, it can't be made in a blender.... Don't get me started on coffee shops that advertise granitas, then make them with a hand blender. No, a granita machine is a must.

Criteria:

Discernable coffee flavor

Not loaded w/sugar

Granular consistency

*Nothing* like a frappucino

So far, I've found two standbys: Bottega Italiano (when the machine is running) and Torrefazione.

The espresso stand outside of the Wallingford QFC used to sell a really good granita--until the machine bit the dust...

Others?

Edited by pgtips (log)

I think I started this exact thread a year ago-I too am dying for a good granita. I am only halfway kidding when I say that I am going to Italy in June just to get a good granita (though I am not going to Rome where my favorite is). Does Bottega offer anything besides lemon these days? That was the only choice the times I've stopped in. And what Torrefazione are you talking about? I didn't actually know they were still around.

I think I started this exact thread a year ago-I too am dying for a good granita. I am only halfway kidding when I say that I am going to Italy in June just to get a good granita (though I am not going to Rome where my favorite is). Does Bottega offer anything besides lemon these days? That was the only choice the times I've stopped in. And what Torrefazione are you talking about? I didn't actually know they were still around.

They are still around. There's one in my building at 4th and University (The Financial Center). I believe they have a granita machine, although I've never tried one.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.

- Mark Twain, 1835 - 1910

Here's a list of their <a href="http://www.titalia.com/site/locations/default.asp#seattle" target="_blank">Seattle locations</a>, but I'm not sure which ones actually have granitas. The Olive Way store (which is right by me) used to have them, but their machine broke down last summer and I don't think they've replaced it.

They were good though....

Like all great quests, this one is eternal, I guess.

I don't get to Bottega all that often, but the last time I was there, they had coffee granitas. Very good indeed. So is the hot chocolate, but that's another thread...

As for Torrefazione, as far as I know, the machine is still running in the Fremont shop. Excellent--fine coffee flavor, never too sweet.

Edited by pgtips (log)

Oddly enough... the first granita I ever had was one of the very best. Happened upon a Seattle's Best location in Chicago about 1u years ago when they first expanded to that area. It had the perfect balance of tyexture, intense coffee flavor, low sweetness level. Since then I've run into a genuinely good and authentic granita on only one occasion. Have taken to making them myself at home but it's tough to get the right texture and avoid quick separation.

By the way... granita machines... the real ones... are finicky, high maintenance and suck up massive amounts of electricity. Many, many places that put them in for a year or two end up switching to powder mix, ice and Vita-Mix blenders.Not saying it's right but as a coffee business guy I can understand why so few places are bothering at this point. But I'll be in Seattle Labor Day weekend and will check this thread for ideas.

A Granita would be perfect now, it's so warm out.  I agree -- Frapps, Spins, Ice Storms are all WAY TOO SWEET!  Yuck. Blended ice tea sound good too.

-Moose

Here's another rant: Starbucks USED to make a blended iced tea that wasn't all sticky-sweet...until they modified their menu. Is it their mission to give the world diabetes?

Edited by pgtips (log)

I agree those sweet SBUX drinks will give you diabetes. Case in point, their coconut creme carmel drinks from last Summer. I think that had more than 5,000 calories not to mention 50 Tbs. of sugar. Their butter carmel flavor is along the same lines.

Nordstrom Cafe adds some weird malt powder in their sweet ice/blended drinks. Anyone know what that powder is composed of?

-hungry_moose