• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good Eats Near UBC

Stalder

my wife and I will be staying in vancouver at UBC for a week at the end of may.

We are looking for good food near the university.

Anything under $100 without liquor for two is in play . . . .but we don't mind good food in 30-50 dollar range either.

We can take taxi's or buses to get to the restaurants as well.

Also how far is whole foods from the university and is it an easy trip on public transit?

Edited by Stalder (log)

Pair Bistro on 10th and Alma is an easy busride or 5 min cab ride from the uiversity. (disclosure - they advertise with me). We've enjoyed several nice meals there - everything BC harvested. Great local art on display as well.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Whole Foods is a loonnnggg way from UBC. It's in West Vancouver.

Here's the address:

925 Main Street

Village at Park Royal

West Vancouver, BC V7T 2Z3

604.678.0501 fax

You would have to take a bus from UBC to the Waterfront Skytrain Station, then get on the SeaBus to Lonsdale Quay, then get a bus from the Quay to the mall. Probably take about an hour or so.

Here is a link to the BC Transit Trip Planning website...it will tell you the correct route to go to anywhere in the city! Might be useful.

http://tripplanning.translink.bc.ca/hiwire?.a=iTripPlanning

Plenty of good eating to be had on West Broadway, and in the general area...Lumiere, Feenies and many more. You might like Henry's Kitchen at Macdonald and 25th, a not too far trip from the U. Need to reserve in advance, tho...it's small and gaining popularity.

And while at UBC, make sure to try the Ponderosa Cake and the Cinnamon Buns!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

And while at UBC, make sure to try the Ponderosa Cake and the Cinnamon Buns!

I used to buy the cinnamon buns all the time when I was in first year. They're big and cheap, but not particularly good.... :unsure:

My favourite place to eat on campus is The Deli, in the lower level of the SUB building. I always get the date square. They have sandwiches (made to order), samosas, curries, rotis, etc. Cheap and pretty tasty (would not recommend their cookies though--go upstairs and get them from Blue Chip instead.)

I also eat the burgers and mozzerella sticks (among other deep-fried goodies) at The Pit Pub. They have a take-out window as well.

In The Village (right by the McDonald's), they have some cheap food downstairs, including Vietnamese subs.

These recommendations are just for times when you need food right away--I would certainly suggest going off-campus for better food! :smile:

Edited by Ling (log)

Oooo...that sucks about the Cinnamon Buns...I worked there like 10 years ago and they used to be wonderful! I haven't been out there for a while. Oh well, everything changes, I guess. I used to go to the Deli and get a brie sandwich - still my favorite!

Don't try to win over the haters. You're not the jackass whisperer."

Scott Stratten

I agree with all of Ling's on-campus recommendations. Those were my usual places plus the hospital cafeteria, but that was more for convenience. I loved the cinnamon snails and still want to try making them at home. If I recall correctly, my favorite cookie at Blue Chip was the Mocha Chip or something like that. Amazing that things haven't changed too much. Exactly ten years since I graduated! ouch. I wish they had Vietnamese sandwiches in the village back in my day. We only went to McD's, Subway or the Chinese restaurant over there.

In addition to the excellent suggestions already provided, here are a few more ideas:

Baru Latino for great South American food and a hip, comfortable vibe.

John Blakeley's Bistro Pastis for excellent French fare.

Izakaya dining and outstanding sushi at Yuji's Japanese Tapas.

Winebar at Fiction for West Coast small-plates dining.

Adesso Bistro for Italian fare in a warm, welcoming neighbourhood restaurant.

And pacify your sweet tooth at Chocolate Arts.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I like your post Andrew, but I will add that Lumiere for $100 w/o drinks is impossible unless of course you're in the tasting bar, so Stalder if you make reservations make sure to mention that part.

When I was at UBC, all they had to eat on campus was shite. First year I was in res (Totem Park!) so that was even worse. I haven't eaten there for many years, but may I suggest you get off campus for as many meals as possible.

In addition to the others mentioned, I'd add Bistro Pastis on 4th Ave, the early prix fixe menu at West on Granville (actually see South Granville thread here for lots of ideas), C and Chambar downtown, Kirin on 12th and Cambie for Chinese… Oh, and don't forget Hamilton Street Grill for hangar steak. :wink: Basically if you stay close on or close to 4th or Broadway (which is the theoretical "9th" Avenue), or if you're going downtown, you can get a bus fairly easily. After that check the Translink site for ideas on how to get where you're going. It probably costs $10 just to get a cab to the edge of campus.

Finally, for cinnamon buns I’d throw Grounds for Coffee (or whatever it’s called) on 10th and Alma into the ring. You can get as little or as much goo on top as you want. Actually I prefer their corn bread but you have to get there pretty early to get some.