• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any great restaurants in Atlantic City?

Jeff L

For a casual meal, whitehouse subs are good...

gallery_21049_162_164720.jpg

You can sit inside and see if you can recognize the pictures of the people and their autographs on the wall

gallery_21049_162_22783.jpg

Or enjoy the action...

gallery_21049_162_12437.jpg

Here is half a turkey and cheese

gallery_21049_162_36665.jpg

And the White House special, which was packed with all sorts of meat.

gallery_21049_162_120248.jpg

If you are in the mood for some 'cue, you can try Corky's in the Tropicana Quarter. The ribs I got were well smoked, but seemed like they had been sitting out for a while. The pulled pork was excellent.

gallery_21049_162_27368.jpg

There are a few decent places in the quarter, such as Brulee (a dessert only place which is open only in the evenings), Cuba Libre, Carmines, Red Square, etc.

gallery_21049_162_131847.jpg

The Borgata has a few decent restaurants, including Specchio, Ombra (2 upscale Italian places), Homestead steakhouse and Susana Foos. It also has a casual Bistro/Deli and NOW, a place that sells different types of noodles from all over the world.

None of them will compare to Philly or NYC dining, but it is much better than what was available in AC a few years ago. I remember visiting Las Vegas and hating the food. Now people travel there for it.

I heard that White House doesn't put vinegar on their subs... I cannot imagine a sub having significant taste without vinegar. Is this true?

I was at Chef Vola's once... it is a "Peter Luger experience" overall and the food was excellent!

I was also referred to a "dive" on Tennessee Ave called Pic-A-Lilli. They have great wings (apparently what they're known for). I was told that a place called Boat House in Belmar has excellent wings.... any suggestions?

:D

I heard that White House doesn't put vinegar on their subs...  I cannot imagine a sub having significant taste without vinegar.  Is this true?

I grew up in Margate (just south of AC) and no, none of the sub shops in Margate, Ventnor or Atlantic City used vinegar on their subs, just oil (and salt, pepper and oregano). When I left home for college, I was surprised that all the sub shops near Rutgers used oil and vinegar. I got used to it, and came to like it.

Now you can get vinegar if you ask for it in the AC subshops. But if they are still made in the tradition of the 60s and 70s - they only use oil unless you ask.

I have never had a sub as great as those subs of my childhood. I miss them!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne