• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ekko, West Orange

ejebud

Thanks - I'm really interested in hearing about this place. After trying a few different Sushi places, we've also settled on Zen as our regular Sushi restaurant. When is ECKO going to be open to the general public?

Thanks - I'm really interested in hearing about this place.  After trying a few different Sushi places, we've also settled on Zen as our regular Sushi restaurant.  When is ECKO going to be open to the general public?

I'm not sure when public opening is but I'll find out tomorrow. Also drove by tonight, and the proper spelling is EKKO.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

This is where BICE used to be.  Supposed to be Japanese/European fusion.  I hope they have a great sushi bar.  I love Zen in Livingston, but ECKO is 1/4 mile from my house.Any one else on the invite list?

My invite must have gotten lost in the mail. :hmmm: Looking forward to your report.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

Ok, I just returned from EKKO. It was my first Invite only Grand Opening of a resto and I kind of expected that they were using family and friends to work out any bugs in the service etc... I was wrong, It was more like a party!! It began with balloons at the entrance to the parking lot. I was happy that when I asked the valet if it was ok to park my own car, he complimented me on my car and allowed me to park it right up front.

Upon entering the resto, we were greeted by very friendly young ladies and my friends son who is a waiter there(that was my in to the joint) They checked our names off the list and gave my friend a packet with a $20 gift certificate and a comment card for after our meal. I first noticed the rather large bamboo plants in the foyer that were 2 stories high. We went upstairs and gave our coats to the coat room. The decor was simply exotic with warm dark colors. There was a band playing easy listening music that really added to the party atmosphere. We went to the bar for a drink and were told that they were only serving Champagne pored into flutes that had various liquors in them already like Chambord, Midori, stuff like that, and soft drinks. I don't drink (see thread on Marijuana food-those stories were ametuer nights compared to my college days) so I wasn't bothered by the fact that they ran out of Champagne 1/2 an hour after we arrived.

Anyway, we scoped out the place and discovered that they had food laid out buffet style throughout the resto. We grabbed plates and dug in. They offered the usual sushi offerings, Salmon, tuna and cooked shrimp as well as a few rolls; california, salmon and cream cheese, smoked eel, etc.. Being a regualar a ZEN, I was not impressed. There were several chafing dishes with fusion offerings like Sweet and sour pork that was a little on hard/dry side, Garlic shrimp, and shrimp in chili paste that were both quite good. They also had very tasty tempura veggies that had something different about them that I just couldn't put my finger on. It did take me a minute to warm up to the Tofu Francaise?!?! The funny thing was I joked to my friend earlier in the day about what Japanese/French cuisine actually is. I said it's probably stuff like Ginger Wasabi souffle' LOL.

We then went into the back of the resto and sat down at one of 8 hibachi tables. The table we were at was obviously a virgin without a scratch on the thing. Interesting design piece here, there was a definate lack of the usually obtrusive stainless steel hood ventilation systems typical of the Japanese Hibachi resto. These table were very high tec in that on one side there is a fan blowing and on the other a vent sucking, so the smoke gets blown away fron the diners and towards the chef where it is downdrafted into the abyss. I'm a gadget guy and I thought it was way cool. We were served by an 8 year veteran of Japanese Hibachi cooking named Tommy(of course) He flipped his utensils and made corny food jokes like rolling an egg on the table and calling it an egg roll better than any guy at Bennihana ever could. He expertly prepared us a very tasty garlic fried rice followed by a simple palin lo mein noodle. Then it was on to some Veggies and both Steak and Filet Mignon.

Then the crowd was addressed by the owner, a small asian man named HO. It is apperently his 3rd vie into the restaurant biz. He introduced some of his key culinary staff members some of whom are Japanese and some of whom are French. After the thunderous applaus had ended, Opera singers began to sing. Figuring the fat lady was going to sing any minute, I bellied up the dessert bar and grabbed a few apple pastry bits and a thin sugary wafery kinda thing. they were good.

So in conclusion, While I enjoyed my self immensly, I didn't feel that I got a decent cross section of the menu, which by the way was not available for our viewing pleasure just yet. HMM I wonder how they expect to open to the public tomorrow without menus? Oh well. As far as i can tell, I'm still gonna be a deciple of Zen for sushi. I'll go back to try the fusion items which from what I was told will bank heavily on gorgeous presentation. I will pray tonight for my new friend HO that his Hibachi venture, doesn't become a magnet for the 10-15 year olds special occasion birthday destination crowd like so many other places have like Bennihana and Fujiyama in Summit.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

This location has had a pretty spotty history. There might have been an eatery there prior to "BICE", but I can't recall. I always got a chuckle out of the menus and match packets sporting their impressive listings of international cities where a "BICE" operated, followed by "West Orange, NJ". The most recently-closed operation (Northfield Grille?) seemed like a hangout for "wiseguys", and I felt rather nervous during my one visit. Hopefully, EKKO can increase my comfort level.

This location has had a pretty spotty history. There might have been an eatery there prior to "BICE", but I can't recall. I always got a chuckle out of the menus and match packets sporting their impressive listings of international cities where a "BICE" operated, followed by "West Orange, NJ". The most recently-closed operation (Northfield Grille?) seemed like a hangout for "wiseguys", and I felt rather nervous during my one visit. Hopefully, EKKO can increase my comfort level.

Definitely correct. I think its because it has a very limited amount of parking. If it's crowded forget about it. The last person to run the place is the same guy that owns/runs the Franklin Steak House. He leased the spot(Bice) and kept it for one year. He wouldn't resign the lease because business was so bad and he didn't see it increasing much no matter what he planned to do. He obviously knows how to run a successful place and he did say the location of "Bice" was what was the problem.

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

Before the restaurant became Bice it was a very good Italian restaurant called Bel Mondo. BelMondo was razed and Bice was a brand new building. As I remember it took quite a while to re-build. I was not impressed by the food at Bice and never got the opportunity to try Northfield Steak house. We will definitely give EKKO a shot.

• 1 month later...

Just went there last night. I'd describe it as Japanese and European fusion with influences from Chinese cuisine.

They have a regular restaurant section, a Sushi bar, a Hibachi area, and a large bar area. It is tastefully decorated.

The service was a bit spotty at points, but overall was satisfactory. I was overwhelmed by the menus... They brought a drink menu, a sushi menu, a wine list, and the main menu. In fact, when I was reading the main menu, I never got to the second section as I didn't realize there was a second section until after I'd already ordered.

The food was very good.

Appetizers Steamed Shumai and Shrimp Spring Rolls. Both were very tasty. The shumai were standard more or less, but with a pleasant flavor. The spring rolls were excellent. Not your typical steamed "eggroll" style wrap, but an open faced tempura style wrap. The ginger soy dipping sauce was tasty enough, but for some reason I kept hoping that it would be a peanut sauce. I think that would have been a better complement to the dish.

Entrees: Black & White Sesame Encrusted Tuna. Seared rare and cooked perfectly. Really a great cut of fish that was succulant and flavorful. Enjoyed every bite of it.

Grilled Beef Short Ribs. Nicely done. The beef was very tender, and it was served with a flavorful soy sauce. Very tasty.

The entire meal with tip was about $95. We ordered one cocktail and one soda. I'll go back sometime. I think the price was a tad high, but not remotely unreasonable given the quality of the food. In all, a very positive dining experience.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

We were at Ekko once. Loved the large free form rice crackers that were placed on the table. It was a nice change from bread.

We were disappointed in the food. The black bean soup with tomato, scallion, guacamoles and cilantro cream sauce sounded better than it tasted. I had shrimp tempura rolls, spicy salmon rolls and tuna tataki which were fair. Have had much better at other places. Lowell had the spicy Ekko pasta containing sautéed chicken, shrimp, Shanghai bok choy, peppers and shitake mushrooms in spicy red bean paste sauce,topped with scallion tempura. I know this sounds like a lot of ingredients but the dish was mostly pasta and not very interesting.

Prices were high. We were also overwhelmed with all the menus that were placed on the table when we were seated. I also found it annoying that my plate was whisked away before both of us were finished. The restaurant is very pretty and worth a try as the previous poster had such a positive experience. For sushi I prefer Kyoto or Zen which are also BYO.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We were at Ekko  once. Loved the large free form rice crackers that were placed on the table. It was a nice change from bread.

We were disappointed in the food. The black bean soup with tomato, scallion, guacamoles and cilantro cream sauce sounded better than it tasted.  I had shrimp tempura rolls, spicy salmon rolls and tuna tataki which were fair. Have had much better at other places. Lowell had the spicy Ekko pasta containing sautéed chicken, shrimp, Shanghai bok choy, peppers and shitake mushrooms in spicy red bean paste sauce,topped with scallion tempura. I know this sounds like a lot of ingredients but the dish was mostly pasta and not very interesting.

Prices were high. We were also overwhelmed with all the menus that were placed on the table when we were seated. I also found it annoying that my plate was whisked away before both of us were finished. The restaurant is very pretty and worth a try as the previous poster had such a positive experience. For sushi I prefer Kyoto or Zen which are also BYO.

As "the previous poster" I'd like to add that I also enjoyed the rice crackers. Very light and refreshing without filling you up like bread.

I don't like when plates are removed before the entire party is finished. I don't recall that being a problem for us.

I'm sorry you had a problem when you went there. I agree that the prices are on the high side, and you can probably get more bang for your buck. As for sushi, I'd much sooner go to East Tokyo in East Hanover. Their sushi has always been fresh and delicious, and their prices are much lower than Ekko.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

EKKO had a flyer in this past Sunday's Star Ledger, proudly announcing their Sunday Brunch and weekday lunchtime Sushi buffet. Has anyone been to either of these? I am usually not a fan of Sushi buffets - would this one change my mind?

• 4 weeks later...

Tried Ekko last night. Beautifully remodeled inside, great wine list & sake menu. Four of us were seated at about 7:30. Nice menu - French/Asian influences. Two of us ordered the butternut squash soup (delicious). Our friends shared the spring rolls which they said was very good. At least an hour passed before our entrees were served and that was after we flagged down our waiter who didn't seem to have a clue. When we asked the waiter about our meals, he said "gee, I'm not sure..." My husband had the Chilean Sea Bass, which I sampled. Unfortunately, it had almost no taste to it. One friend tried the Asian-inspired short ribs, which were tasty (almost like "upscale beef jerky," was one comment), and our other friend had the Dancing Shrimp Tempura. Nice presentation of 4 shrimp on skewers served on a beautiful highly-varnished wood platter. For some reason, I chose the Chicken Breast with gorgonzola on a bed of spinach and risotto. I almost never order chicken out (& never breasts because I love thighs), but it sounded really good. Well, the breast was dried out, there were maybe two leaves of spinach, & the risotto was gummy. The waiter barely came to our table & never asked if we wanted a second drink. The person whom I think was the manager (Judy) came over at the end of our meal & we told her we were very disappointed with the food & the service. Basically, she smiled & laughed and said the kitchen was very busy (the restaurant was barely half-full). We noticed that the rest of the tables had delayed service, also. On the way out, Judy gave us 15% discount cards for another visit.

One bright note was the bartender (we sat at the bar for a drink while waiting for our friends). He was personable, efficient & good at his work.

We were very disappointed in this restaurant & had high hopes for it. Maybe they'll get their act together - I hope so.

Has anyone else been there?

www.cookstour.netMy Blog

Just to add to this - has anyone been there for Hibachi? We're thinking about going there for a forthcoming celebration. As far as Sushi goes, we're sticking with Zen (Livingston) for right now - went back there again this past Monday, and had another great experience.

As a side note - the Head Chef from Ekko was on West Orange Week this week (Channel 36).

EKKO had a flyer in this past Sunday's Star Ledger, proudly announcing their Sunday Brunch and weekday lunchtime Sushi buffet.  Has anyone been to either of these?  I am usually not a fan of Sushi buffets - would this one change my mind?

I went with a friend to the weekday buffet, and was pretty dissapointed in the food. They had some sushi that was being made fresh and it was palatable but nothing like Zen(sushi of the year award in my book!) They had 2 soups, Miso with bowls set up containing the tofu, and greens ready for you to pour in the soup. It was too light for my taste. I like my Miso stronger, and they had cream of mushroom soup. A bizzare choice for an asian inspired restaurant. They had a couple of hot items like sauteed noodles wich were good and fried chicken wings (??) and a sort of BBQ'd chicken pieces with roasted veggies that was just OK. There was a nifty steamer cabinet with Shu mai, Gyoza and steamed Pork buns. Unfortuantely they were all over steamed. For dessert they had a fruit platter, Carrot cake(??) and get a load of this, a platter with packaged lady fingers, yeah, the ones you buy for $1.99 to make Tiramisu with. I thought for $14.95 pp thay had a lot of nerve serving those for dessert. Any way, I'm turned off by the whole experience, and would sooner go to Ponderosa(at least you get what you pay for there) than go back to the lunch buffet at Ekko. **please note: the reference to Ponderosa was used purely to drive home a point; the author of this post would not, could not eat at Ponderosa**

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Try Kyoto in Florham Park for sushi also.

I'd love to try a new sushi place in the area.

What's the address?

• 3 months later...