• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Who gets an organic veg box?

went online just now to order my inaugural box from Abel & Cole (largely because everyone on this thread has been so happy with them), and see that for them, asparagus is 'out of season'.  In JUNE???  think that's a bit rubbish.  so will not, after all, be ordering from A&C.

They sent out a letter about asparagus the other week (you can find it in past newsletters on their web). It isnt that it is out of season (website slightly confusing) but that they have had difficulty finding an organic asparagus grower who can meet their requirements - in both quality and quantity. They have therefore been working with a prospective grower but because asparagus plants take a long time to develop (apparently) they wont have any until next year.

I've been using them ofor about 1 1/2 years - most of their veg and fruit is UK grown and of pretty good quality - the times it hasnt been when I have contacted them they have been pretty good and refunded.

Just wanted to add a bit more feedback, in case anyone reads this in future to make a decision. DO NOT USE FARMAROUND.

I'd agree with this -- we had similar problems with their administration - forgetting to deliver, offering discount in recompense then forgetting to discount etc.

Have switched to Abel & Cole and been generally happy with quality, though fruit isn't very exciting and it takes a bit of tweaking of the regular order to avoid suffocating under the weight of pots and cabbage (thank goodness for Moro II with its cabbage recipes).

Having dipped our toes in the organic box water Iget the impression the companies started out as small concerns delivering to a few well-meaning "knit your own muesli" types and are now struggling to develop a business model that can cope with a larger number of customers that see them as a greener alternative to the supermarket, but nevertheless expect a slick retail experience.

Just wanted to add a bit more feedback, in case anyone reads this in future to make a decision. DO NOT USE FARMAROUND.

I completely agree with that - look at all the problems abel and cole have had getting enough organic chickens because apparently the market has gone crazy. I also rang and asked them about the amount of produce imported - apparently the majority is UK produced but they felt (correctly I'd imagine) that customers demand other none UK produce for variety.

I do think you have to treat the order as a bit like supermarket shopping - going online each week and adding various extras in line with whatever is in the box - to get the best out of this type of shopping. Although i do try not to change the likes/dislikes too much each week as I understand one of the biggest problems for organic producers is getting a regular order so that crops can be planned to maximise profits/minimise wastage.

went online just now to order my inaugural box from Abel & Cole (largely because everyone on this thread has been so happy with them), and see that for them, asparagus is 'out of season'.  In JUNE???  think that's a bit rubbish.  so will not, after all, be ordering from A&C.

They sent out a letter about asparagus the other week (you can find it in past newsletters on their web). It isnt that it is out of season (website slightly confusing) but that they have had difficulty finding an organic asparagus grower who can meet their requirements - in both quality and quantity. They have therefore been working with a prospective grower but because asparagus plants take a long time to develop (apparently) they wont have any until next year.

I've been using them ofor about 1 1/2 years - most of their veg and fruit is UK grown and of pretty good quality - the times it hasnt been when I have contacted them they have been pretty good and refunded.

It is very late in the season if you crop too late you'll have nothing next year(I know this, my B-day's just gone and for years I've known that I'd be hard pushed to find good British Asparagus for B-day). And I lived in the Garden of England for years, I use to see it come in cut that morning, stems as thick as fingers and skins delicate enough you could eat most of it.

It does take two years for first crop. Though how there having trouble finding an organic supplier sounds strange Asparagus basically needs a pit of manure cant see how thats non-organic!

I'd imagine from what your all saying as they seem to be big on quality they dont want to provide you with an inferior product. Asparagus only crops for about 6-8 weeks and starts heading upwards only after the last frost, getting chopped when it reaches about 7-8 inches doesn't take too long to get to that height. If you crop too much you just kill your crop for next year, it needs to grow and die back.(So June is about the last of the British)

I believe though haven't checked the gardening book just what I remembered and when the Asparagus man use to stop bringing it.!

Perfection cant be reached, but it can be strived for!

Saw this pop up again and thought I'd add in my two cents, yet again. Are you all sick of me yet ;)

Still using A&C and reasonably happy with their service. There has never been a problem with quality, just the occasional problem with repetition. I seem to get a lot of zucchinis and carrots! However, to be fair, I could ask for these to be excluded from the box some weeks if I only remembered to do this in time.

I still have not gotten a refund from Farmaround, despite their repeated promises that they are doing it "right away". I have given up any hope of ever getting my £30 back.