• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

IndyRob

IndyRob

After years of being beaten by fried chicken, I saw a video of Anthony Bourdain going to Willie Mae's Scotch House in NOLA.  Seeing that they battered fried their chicken I searched for 'Batter Fried Chicken; and found this recipe.  It appears to originally come from Cooks Illustrated.  IMHO, THIS is the way to do it.  I keep a container of the premixed dry ingredients on hand so I just need to add water.

After a simple brine, the batter is made and  the brined chicken is dipped into it and fried.  You just need one bowl - none of this messy assembly line of flour -- egg -- flour/breading.

But if you'd like to go even more crispy - after battering, dredge in some crushed Corn Flakes.

I'm very pleased with the results (Note: I double the salt in the batter recipe).  But am now experimenting with the brine to include vinegar or pickle juice.

[Edit to Add] Also, if you don't add the Corn Flake variation, the batter is very kind to your oil.  There is virtually no flour dispersion to wind up burning and fouling your oil.

IndyRob

IndyRob

After years of being beaten by fried chicken, I saw a video of Anthony Bourdain going to Willie Mae's Scotch House in NOLA.  Seeing that they battered fried their chicken I searched for 'Batter Fried Chicken; and found this recipe.  It appears to originally come from Cooks Illustrated.  IMHO, THIS is the way to do it.  I keep a container of the premixed dry ingredients on hand so I just need to add water.

After a simple brine, the batter is made and  the brined chicken is dipped into it and fried.  You just need one bowl - none of this messy assembly line of flour -- egg -- flour/breading.

But if you'd like to go even more crispy - after battering, dredge in some crushed Corn Flakes.

I'm very pleased with the results (Note: I double the salt in the batter recipe).  But am now experimenting with the brine to include vinegar or pickle juice.

[Edit to Add] Also, if you don't add the Corn Flake variation, the batter is very kind to your oil.  There is virtually no flour dispersion to wind up burning in the oil.

IndyRob

IndyRob

IndyRob

IndyRob

After years of being beaten by fried chicken, I saw a video of Anthony Bourdain going to Willie Mae's Scotch House in NOLA.  Seeing that they battered fried their chicken I searched for 'Batter Fried Chicken; and found this recipe.  It appears to originally come from Cooks Illustrated.  IMHO, THIS is the way to do it.