• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Easter Brunch

viva

The plumbing got done by 9:00 pm that night. Much swearing and gnashing of teeth.

Easter lunch was wonderful. I had a bigger crowd than expected. Ham; two of Marlene's dishes which you'll see on recipeGullet when it reappears soon -- potato puff and maple glazed carrots; roasted asparagus (crank up the oven when the ham and potatoes come out and let it do it's thing while the other stuff is resting) and a very pretty salad with mixed baby greens, a raspberry vinagarette featuring raspberry vinegar made from home grown raspberries, Maytag and some pecans I caramelized. Oh, and bread. The day was spectacular. We had an easter egg hunt and the kids spent most of the time out of doors. My SIL got in town early enough to call and say "can I bring dessert?" Why, yes, my dear. Ice cream with fresh fruit, out on the deck. It was divine. Only one kid barfed, and only one got a bloody nose. The toilet didn't back up. As I said, wonderful. Just four days prior, we celebrated a one-year anniversary in our new-to-use house, and we were reminded that this is a great house for entertaining. I first entertained here last Easter, three weeks after we moved.

This is my favorite time of year. We had as much fun enjoying friends and family as poking around in the gardens. My rosemary is showing signs of life!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

The plumbing got done by 9:00 pm that night.  Much swearing and gnashing of teeth.

Easter lunch was wonderful.  I had a bigger crowd than expected.  Ham; two of Marlene's dishes which you'll see on recipeGullet when it reappears soon -- potato puff and maple glazed carrots; roasted asparagus (crank up the oven when the ham and potatoes come out and let it do it's thing while the other stuff is resting) and a very pretty salad with mixed baby greens, a raspberry vinagarette featuring raspberry vinegar made from home grown raspberries, Maytag and some pecans I caramelized.  Oh, and bread.  The day was spectacular.  We had an easter egg hunt and the kids spent most of the time out of doors.  My SIL got in town early enough to call and say "can I bring dessert?"  Why, yes, my dear.  Ice cream with fresh fruit, out on the deck.  It was divine.  Only one kid barfed, and only one got a bloody nose.  The toilet didn't back up.  As I said, wonderful.  Just four days prior, we celebrated a one-year anniversary in our new-to-use house, and we were reminded that this is a great house for entertaining.  I first entertained here last Easter, three weeks after we moved.

This is my favorite time of year.  We had as much fun enjoying friends and family as poking around in the gardens.  My rosemary is showing signs of life!

Your second annual Easter parade. :raz::laugh:

Sounds wonderful. And what a perk to be able to poke around the garden and see a few greenies poking their heads back up at you. :biggrin:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

Only one kid barfed, and only one got a bloody nose.  The toilet didn't back up.  As I said, wonderful. 

That's awesome.

Easter brunch in Phoenix this year was wonderful as well, it was 80 and sunny, so we did the bloody mary bar and appetizers outside which left the kitchen vacant for me to get the rest of the meal done. Doing most everything either via casserole or grill was a great approach to leaving my hands free to drink bloody marys.

That savory bread pudding recipe above was delightful, and the boys did a great job of grilling up the lamb and quail. I did quick red and orange carrots with brown sugar and balsamic vinegar glaze.

Nigella's Forever Summer cookbook really came through for me, the cold pea and mint soup was a hit, and her new potatoes and chocolate pavlova recipes will need to be repeated in future years. Everything was just super-easy to make in advance.

I love Spring.

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope