• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lyon Cuisine Battery Shopping

bleudauvergne

This thread has been inspired by chefzadi's teaser in the Pans of Paris Thread where he hints that he might share with us his sources for cooking supplies.

Cooks' shops ...

If have the time the prices are better in Lyon. I'll try to recall the little area. If you're interested.

This reminds me that it would be nice to get a list going of the places to shop for kitchen supplies in Lyon. I know there are a couple of shops near Les Halles in Lyon, two places just off cours Lafayette, some places on the presqu'ile in the 1ere and also along the Quai St. Antoine. There are a couple of new places in the 6eme near Foch, some are outrageously expensive and some seem reasonable. The exclusivity of the neighborhood has little to do with it in my experience...

So, where to go first? :smile:

There is a store behind the Place Bellecour, I don't remember the name of the shop. But after scouring Paris and Lyon, my wife and I found the best prices their, great quality things. Great customer service. Ils sont super gentilles.

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

As that place is a pretty big place, do you remember if it was north, east, south or west of the place?

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

I think it was north. Have you ever tried asking a native French person for directions? :laugh: The name of the street if I recall correctly is Rue du Plat. We also bought pralines there. Have you tried praline ice cream?

I can be reached via email chefzadi AT gmail DOT com

Dean of Culinary Arts

Ecole de Cuisine: Culinary School Los Angeles

http://ecolecuisine.com

I think it was north. Have you ever tried asking a native French person for directions?  :laugh:  The name of the street if I recall correctly is Rue du Plat.  We also bought pralines there. Have you tried praline ice cream?

I had a chance to swing by the shop chefzadi mentions. The shop is called La Regionale Pre Gastronomie, and is at 14, rue du Plat in Lyon's 2eme. The street it's on is just near the south end of the Marche Saint Antoine, about a block and a half down rue du Plat, and it would make a nice stop after the market on a Saturday morning, as it was for us. The store is open from Tuesday to Friday, 8h - 12h and 14h - 18h, and Saturdays from 9h - 12. They are located a half-block south of the SE corner of place Bellcour.

Their specialty is patisserie and traiteur supplies, with many many accesories and tools for baking and decorating, in addition to bulk supplies of chocolate, pralines of course, nuts, and various ingredients. They had chocolate moulds and pan forms in many shapes and sizes, plus packaging and presentation supplies. They had supplies for making fruit preserves as well and bulk marzipan and almond paste, plus ice cream making equipment. Their selection of useful accesories was pretty impressive, and more impressive still in that area were the prices.

As for the general cooking supplies, the pots and pans were rather limited, although they did have a nice selection of Staub cookware and a full range of copper. They had two gammes of professional knives in which they carried pretty much all sizes, one French, and one Japanese at reasonable prices.

I saw a lot of things that I'll be going back for. One thing to note about this store is that they do not post the prices of items and you must ask the clerk behind a window to tell you the price. She looks up each item by hand in a catalog, and the price given is without tax. I'll be posting pictures this evening!

Lucy:

While not in Lyon, Bourgeat has its factory and an outlet in Les Abrets (near Voiron) which is probably an hour from Lyon.  Great stuff there

Bourgeat

A few questions about Bourgeat whioch DCMark may be able to answer.

Is the factory outlet easy to find? - Les Abrets does not seem very large and even has a rue Adrien Bourgeat which might be a good place to start.

Do they have any objections to non-professionals dropping by? - Some places can be a bit snooty about this and whilst it seems not too far from the Lyon - Annecy motorway, there's little point in a detour if there is a liklihood of being turned away.

Oh yes, anyone can shop there. They have quite a range of products, from small copper saucepans to huge kitchen pots.

It is quite easy to find. Take the highway exit in the direction of St. Geoire en Valdene. I think its right off the main road there.

Lucy:

While not in Lyon, Bourgeat has its factory and an outlet in Les Abrets (near Voiron) which is probably an hour from Lyon.   Great stuff there

Bourgeat

A few questions about Bourgeat whioch DCMark may be able to answer.

Is the factory outlet easy to find? - Les Abrets does not seem very large and even has a rue Adrien Bourgeat which might be a good place to start.

Do they have any objections to non-professionals dropping by? - Some places can be a bit snooty about this and whilst it seems not too far from the Lyon - Annecy motorway, there's little point in a detour if there is a liklihood of being turned away.