• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese (2005–2008)

chefbrendis

Dave, I have 2 questions -

1/ Do you know any more about the bouyesset - I have never heard of it and it looks great. What region is it typical of? Raw or pasteurized?

2/ Have you had your cholesteral checked recently?

1/ Do you know any more about the bouyesset - I have never heard of it and it looks great.  What region is it typical of?  Raw or pasteurized?

2/  Have you had your cholesteral checked recently?

1) I as is not untypical spelled it slightly wrong. The correct spelling is: BOUYSSET. Maybe that helps. Otherwise all I can tell you is that its a raw milk goats cheese from the Tarn (just South of us.). I did find it once before (see my blog below) and loved it. The one I found this summer was far riper.

2) As a matter of fact I did have my cholesterol checked only a month ago. It was fine was were all the other blood tests. There is a reason why people in this SouthWestern area of France live longer on average than those in almost any other region in the world. The secret is in what you eat & drink. As follows:

- eat lots of good cheese. Not the stuff pumped full of chemicals.

- Use only goose, duck & olive as fats.

- Eat plently of meats

- Eat plenty of good organic or home grown vegatables & fruit.

- Eat no (or as few as possible) processed or refined foods. Such as sugar & white flour. Not to mention preprepared meals.

- Drink about 3 good sized glasses of red wine every day. Not a lot more & not a lot less. Drink no other booze except some good white wine, a bit of sherry & only good port.

Sorry for the soap box, but I do believe this or something close to it works. The Montignac diet comes closest as a book.

PS: The luck of 'good' genes helps.

1/ Do you know any more about the bouyesset - I have never heard of it and it looks great. What region is it typical of? Raw or pasteurized?

2/ Have you had your cholesteral checked recently?

[/quote

People that know me well ask me that all the time...regarding my cholesterol....b/c I eat so much darn cheese (much of it being the creamy, double/tripple cremes....).

And, as Dave has attested (sp?) - mine is great! Well the bad cholesterol is normal...but the "good" cholesterol is AWESOME...so I am told.

However, unlike dave...I endulge, far too often, in prosessed foods. What can I say? Cravings, PMS, Mood swings...and a love for certain junk foods. Wha'd yah gonna do? I choose to live life to its fullest (meaning enjoy it!)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Dave, please be assured it was a joke!

It was just so cool, but also hilarious to me, that a visiting friend would arrive with such an incredible array of great cheese. I like to think my group of intimates are pretty cheese-savvy, but I can assure you that NO ONE would bring the beautiful display that Jacques did.

Rest assured that I also eat a lot of cheese - it has begun to catch up with me now that I am in my 50s, but my cholesterol numbers are not really bad, just higher than they used to be.

I do agree about trying to eat primarily unprocessed or organic foods, and also about red wine, but I also think there is a genetic componant to all this as well. "Real" food just tastes better and is more satisfying.

It was just so cool, but also hilarious to me, that a visiting friend would arrive with such an incredible array of great cheese.  I like to think my group of intimates are pretty cheese-savvy, but I can assure you that NO ONE would bring the beautiful display that Jacques did.

Rest assured that I also eat a lot of cheese - it has begun to catch up with me now that I am in my 50s, but my cholesterol numbers are not really bad, just higher than they used to be.

I do agree about trying to eat primarily unprocessed or organic foods, and also about red wine, but I also think there is a genetic componant to all this as well.  "Real" food just tastes better and is more satisfying.

Knew you were kidding, but can never resist any opportunity to expound upon the benefits of a cheese & wine diet. Love any chance to tweak the noses of the "fat nazi's".

Jacques is a one off, you couldn't imagine a better friend. He brings cheese, homemade pates, wild mushrooms and other local dishes. In January he has set up an old fashioned pig day. We'll kill the pig then take two days butchering & turning it into all of the traditional pork specialities. I'll be taking lots of pictures!

Keep up the good numbers! I'm 69 now & still have my (vitually) daily cheese fix.

LindsayAnn - You sound like a person after my own heart. I'll forgive any cheese lover a bit of junk food so long as they keep up their wine quota.

It was just so cool, but also hilarious to me, that a visiting friend would arrive with such an incredible array of great cheese.  I like to think my group of intimates are pretty cheese-savvy, but I can assure you that NO ONE would bring the beautiful display that Jacques did.

I do agree about trying to eat primarily unprocessed or organic foods, and also about red wine, but I also think there is a genetic componant to all this as well.  "Real" food just tastes better and is more satisfying.

Knew you were kidding, but can never resist any opportunity to expound upon the benefits of a cheese & wine diet. Love any chance to tweak the noses of the "fat nazi's".

Jacques is a one off, you couldn't imagine a better friend. He brings cheese, homemade pates, wild mushrooms and other local dishes. In January he has set up an old fashioned pig day. We'll kill the pig then take two days butchering & turning it into all of the traditional pork specialities. I'll be taking lots of pictures!

Keep up the good numbers! I'm 69 now & still have my (vitually) daily cheese fix.

LindsayAnn - You sound like a person after my own heart. I'll forgive any cheese lover a bit of junk food so long as they keep up their wine quota.

Okay okay good :) Fear not, I do enjoy my wine. Red and whites....i do not discriminate :) All depends on what I am eating and my mood....

Got a few new ones today! Want to know which ones? Do yeah? HUH HUH? Okay, I will play nice and tell you.

Stopped off ay Sam's wine discount (warehouse powehouse...they officially have the key to my heart).

There I purchased:

1-More Neals Years Stilton blue (I had finished off the remainder of mine last night)

2-Sofia (MMMMM)

3-Capriole Julianna (GREAT goats cheese, semi soft - albeit not runny or oozy in the least - the rind is covered in hearbs...even thin little things that resemble pine leaves! The rind is perfectly edible and it is delish!). Yes this gem is from my beloved farm capriola...they havent been at the farmers market for a while and ours is ending for the year soon, luckily some of their selections are available around chicago! this is def. one of my favorite cheeses

4- Jasper Hill Farm constant bliss from greensboro, vermont. This is definetly soft, not quite oozy but it is not quite as hard as semi soft....its delish. my first time having this one - cows milk...non pasterized. I was recomended this and couldnt sample it (its sold in its little circle like shape, once its cut its kind of exposed...hence the non sampling. but, I was recommended this by a wonderful cheese monger at Sams...I trust in her highly. I LOVE all of her recomendations :)

Next stop whole foods to see if they have anything new and itneresting in stock...

5 - Fromager Des Clarines (jean perrin - whatever that means). This comes in a little wodden crate....its def oozy with an edible, thicker rind. I wwas told its strong, and stinky...I new this one was calling my name "Lindsay...consume me!".

And - the verdict....YUMMY YUMMY!

6 - Capriole Old Kentucky Tomme Goats Milk...yup yup you got it right....from my number 1 farmers market vendor capriola farms :)

7 - not a cheese, but I seemed to be having a craving for it (right when I saw it I was drawn towards it), Applegate Farms Salametti....yummy little salami type sausage log. Good compliment to my cheese lunch!

So, Dave and Gariotin - how do those newbies sound to you? I am guessing you have tried some (if not all) of them? Your opinion?

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

I want to definitely see pix of the pig day - it is a lot of work. My German grandparents would do that once a year and it seemed like my Oma made sausages for days. Thank goodness she never went in for the head cheese!

Lindsay Ann - your cheeses sound so good. Is the Sofia another one of Judy Schad's? You are lucky to be able to get so many of her cheeses - i usually only get to taste them at the American Cheese Society conference every year.

Constant Bliss is a wonderful new American soft-ripened - made here in neighboring Vermont by 2 brothers. Have never met them, but they also do a wonderful blue named Baley Hazen blue and did the aging for the award-winning Cabot bandaged ched that took "best of show" at the ACS.

Clarines is a great little stinker - and was speaking just to you!

OK, you are killing me - going down to have some cheese before dinner - Franklin Peluso's wonderful Teleme with some dried figs sounds good.

I want to definitely see pix of the pig day -  it is a lot of work.  My German grandparents would do that once a year and it seemed like my Oma made sausages for days.  Thank goodness she never went in for the head cheese!

Lindsay Ann - your cheeses sound so good.  Is the Sofia another one of Judy Schad's?  You are lucky to be able to get so many of her cheeses - i usually only get to taste them at the American Cheese Society conference every year.

Constant Bliss is a wonderful new American soft-ripened - made here in neighboring Vermont by 2 brothers.  Have never met them, but they also do a wonderful blue named Baley Hazen blue and did the aging for the award-winning Cabot bandaged ched that took "best of show" at the ACS.

Clarines is a great little stinker - and was speaking just to you!

OK, you are killing me - going down to have some cheese before dinner - Franklin Peluso's wonderful Teleme with some dried figs sounds good.

Clarines speaking JUST to me? Not to you? Are you implying that you are not a fan of the "stinky' cheese varieties, per-say?

No, no, no - I love smelly ones! You just said it was actually speaking to you by name, which I thought was pretty impressive.

I just put together a cheese basket for my kitchen contractor. We are almost at the end of a 3 mo total reno and he has been a peach. You will not believe this, but I chose a beautiful vivid yellow for the wall and when I turned the paint chip over, it was called "American Cheese". When Mr. Contractor told me he LOVED the real thing, I promised him a selection of real cheeses before we were done.

I bought:

Brie de la Brie - suspect he has only ever had supermarket stuff

La Tur

Humboldt Fog

Epoisses

Roaring Forties

5 yr vintage gouda

I numbered them (Dave's friend, Jacque's idea) in order of consumption and told him to take a break after the blue before hitting the 5 yr. I just find the aged goudas to be so naturally sweet, that they don't fit in well with a cheese flight like this. Better to wait and then approach like a desser by serving w/fruit and nuts.

I put some thought into this and tried to select cheeses that a novice would find interesting, but not too challenging. He was thrilled and I will be interested to see what he and his wife think.

Yes, Dana - this cheese is made by the wonderful Judy Schad from Capriole Farm in Indiana. Judy is one of the most respected of the American artisinal cheesemakers, and she consistently wins awards at the American Cheese Society competitions each year.

Scroll thru this thread a few pages back - someone posted about buying her cheeses at a Chicago farmers' market this past summer.

Her cheeses rock!

Yes, Dana - this cheese is made by the wonderful Judy Schad from Capriole Farm in Indiana.  Judy is one of the most respected of the American artisinal cheesemakers, and she consistently wins awards at the American Cheese Society competitions each year.

Scroll thru this thread a few pages back - someone posted about buying her cheeses at a Chicago farmers' market this past summer.

Her cheeses rock!

That someone would be ME ME ME. yes, you heard me right (gloating proudly) I know the lovely Judy and have tried ALL of her cheeses. What a blessed and lucky gal I am!

After reading all the pages of this thread my husband, and I, would really love to get into tasting different cheeses.

So tonight we jumped in. BUT, WE NEED HELP!

Been doing a lot or reasearch on the web with wine and cheese pairing, but each site gives you different information.

We are retired and are used to drinking the run of the mill Chardonneys and Cabernets, and mostly extra sharp cheddars, such as Cabots Hunter cheese, and cheap Brie's.

So today I went to Whole Food and bought the following:

Fleur Du Marquis, Belletoile Brie, Sottocenere, and Point Reyes Bleu.

Along with the Fleur Du Marquis, and Sottocenere with had two different Pinot Noirs to taste. With the Brie with had a Chardonney. Along with them we had fresh pear, toasted baguette slices, and Adriactic Fig Spread, and olives. We weren't crazy about any of the cheeses. Did I pair them with the wrong wines or should I had tried different cheese. We never got to try the bleu cheese as we were too full.

We could really use some good advice on how to start all over again. Thanks.

After reading all the pages of this thread my husband, and I, would really love to get into tasting different cheeses.

So tonight we jumped in.  BUT, WE NEED HELP!

Been doing a lot or reasearch on the web with wine and cheese pairing, but each site gives you different information.

We are retired and are used to drinking the run of the mill Chardonneys and Cabernets, and mostly extra sharp cheddars, such as Cabots Hunter cheese, and cheap Brie's.

Along with the Fleur Du Marquis, and Sottocenere with had two different Pinot Noirs to taste.  With the Brie with had a Chardonney.  Along with them we had fresh pear, toasted baguette slices, and Adriactic Fig Spread, and olives.  We weren't crazy about any of the cheeses.  Did I pair them with the wrong wines or should I had tried different cheese.  We never got to try the bleu cheese as we were too full.

We could really use some good advice on how to start all over again.  Thanks.

Hummmm... A few comments to start.

- did you let the cheeses come up to room temperature before the tasting?

- My personal preference is to NOT have anything sweet, like fig spread, when eating highly herbed cheeses & drinking wine.

- You choose a nice spread of cheeses.

- Again, a personal preference, but I prefer a cabernet to a pinot with cheeses.

Your cheeses:

Fleur - From Corsica, pateurised sheeps milk, herb crusted (savory & rosemary). Needs a very hearty red wine. Corsican ideally, but a nice Zifandel should work & be easier to obtain.

Brie - Make sure it has been out of the fridge for quite a while; it should be soft & slightly runny. This 70% MG brie will be very mild. Your chard should have worked so I suspect that the brie was too cold.

Sotto - Italian, Pasteurised cows milk, lots of herbs in the crust & truffles in the cheese. I've never eaten this one so my advice in general in nature. I would try it with the chard or perhaps a savignon blanc.

The blue - Raw cows milk. American attempt at Roquefort & a good one. I suggest you try it with a decent port. Failing that try a cabernet or zifandel.

Question for you? What cheeses in addition to the sharp cheddars have you tried that you really like? Might give the real experts on this thread some ideas as to what you might want to try.

Have fun with it!

Along with the Fleur Du Marquis, and Sottocenere with had two different Pinot Noirs to taste.  With the Brie with had a Chardonney.  Along with them we had fresh pear, toasted baguette slices, and Adriactic Fig Spread, and olives.  We weren't crazy about any of the cheeses.  Did I pair them with the wrong wines or should I had tried different cheese.  We never got to try the bleu cheese as we were too full.

- My personal preference is to NOT have anything sweet, like fig spread, when eating highly herbed cheeses & drinking wine.

- Again, a personal preference, but I prefer a cabernet to a pinot with cheeses.

Your cheeses:

Fleur - From Corsica, pateurised sheeps milk, herb crusted (savory & rosemary). Needs a very hearty red wine. Corsican ideally, but a nice Zifandel should work & be easier to obtain.

Brie - Make sure it has been out of the fridge for quite a while; it should be soft & slightly runny. This 70% MG brie will be very mild. Your chard should have worked so I suspect that the brie was too cold.

Sotto - Italian, Pasteurised cows milk, lots of herbs in the crust & truffles in the cheese. I've never eaten this one so my advice in general in nature. I would try it with the chard or perhaps a savignon blanc.

The blue - Raw cows milk. American attempt at Roquefort & a good one. I suggest you try it with a decent port. Failing that try a cabernet or zifandel.

Question for you? What cheeses in addition to the sharp cheddars have you tried that you really like? Might give the real experts on this thread some ideas as to what you might want to try.

Have fun with it!

Yes, I let all the cheeses come to room temp. for over an hour.

I had read cabernet should be paired with hard cheese, but we defintely will try it with the Fleur Du Marquis and see how they are together.

The Brie was very bland tasting, maybe that is because of we are used to buying the less expensive brand which to me had more of a nutty flavor and thicker consistency.. Should I have warmed the brie in the oven?

Will definitely try chardonney with the Sotto.

I will go a buy a nice port for the blue when we get ready to taste that.

What kind of cheeses do we like: cheddar, boursin,jarlsbirg.

One interesting thing I have learned by going on line is the parmiganna reggiano, gruyere, and pecorinos can be using for table cheese. Do you recommend that? I have always used them just for cooking. Any other suggestions would be greating appreciated. We are willing to try different types and experiment. Have never had a goat cheese. Can you recommend one that I can buy here in the states. Thanks

Edited by shar999 (log)

Your cheeses:

Have fun with it!

I had read cabernet should be paired with hard cheese, but we defintely will try it with the Fleur Du Marquis and see how they are together.

The Brie was very bland tasting, maybe that is because of we are used to buying the less expensive brand which to me had more of a nutty flavor and thicker consistency.. Should I have warmed the brie in the oven?

One interesting thing I have learned by going on line is the parmiganna reggiano, gruyere, and pecorinos can be using for table cheese. Do you recommend that? I have always used them just for cooking. Any other suggestions would be greating appreciated. We are willing to try different types and experiment. Have never had a goat cheese. Can you recommend one that I can buy here in the states. Thanks

With all due respect an hour is really not enough. Especially for the brie, it should have at least 4 hours. Do NOT warm the brie in the oven unless you are trying to make brie on toast or are melting one to put on a salad. (both very good things to do!)As before a well ripened brie of this calibre should be slightly runny & have turned a bit yellow when ready to eat.

Yes, everything you mention can be served as a table cheese. I am particularly fond of aged gruyere. Also, these was a good controversy earlier on this thread about 10 year old Gouda. Don't know about the 10 year claim, but well aged Gouda is absolutly delicious.

I'll leave the goat (chevre) recommendations to our friends in the states. I've been living away for the last 5 years so am not current on what's good & what would be available at Wholefoods.

While experimenting see if you can find a sheep's milk (brebis) cheese to try. These are some dymamite ones around. Again, get recommendations from the knowledgable Americans who lurk around this thread.

Another easy experiment you can try since you like boursin is to buy some Philadelphia cream cheese & then lightly coat bits of it with herbs. Cumin seeds, coriander seeds, oregano, Herbs de Province, celery seeds and thyme are all interesting. See what you like & try your own inspirations for fun.

Keep trying & have fun.

Been eating the Thanksgiving extravaganda of cheeses up to today when I decided to try the other cheeses I bought.

The Pechegos is outstanding! Just look at it!

gallery_22910_3990_8054.jpg

It tastes even better than it looks. I think the 3 weeks in our cave did it good. Its very ccreamy with a lot of flavor coming out.

I haven't been able to find out a lot about it other than that its a raw milk chevre made in the Tarn during the fall & winter.

Here's another picture.

gallery_22910_3990_27180.jpg

Note the band which looks like bark around the cheese. Diameter is about 4 inches. I know the cheese is pressed, but I don't know what gives it the orange rind.

I do know that its really good & won't last long now that we've started it as Linda likes it as much as I do.

Been eating the Thanksgiving extravaganda of cheeses up to today when I decided to try the other cheeses I bought.

The Pechegos is outstanding! Just look at it!

gallery_22910_3990_8054.jpg

It tastes even better than it looks. I think the 3 weeks in our cave did it good. Its very ccreamy with a lot of flavor coming out.

I haven't been able to find out a lot about it other than that its a raw milk chevre made in the Tarn during the fall & winter.

Here's another picture.

gallery_22910_3990_27180.jpg

Note the band which looks like bark around the cheese. Diameter is about 4 inches. I know the cheese is pressed, but I don't know what gives it the orange rind.

I do know that its really good & won't last long now that we've started it as Linda likes it as much as I do.

*tummy rummbling...*

Can I catch the next flight yonder? Wait....that wont possibly work (like you'll actually still have this cheese around by that point...the flight it a bit lengthy, I suppose)

Darn! *Bites lip in agony*

Your cheeses:

Have fun with it!

I will see if I can help. Although I am NO expert, I do love my cheese and I have experienced my fair share, from cow to sheep, elk, and GOAT!

Ok, you want goat? You got it. I loveeeee loveeee love goats cheese. Beware though, at first try I wasnt a fan...it took the lovely Judy from capriola farm to turn me into a beleiver. Now though, I love all goats cheeses. There are many varieties. Chevres - fresh goats, to brie's made with goats (heck, I get one of these at Trader Joes, do you have trader joes?)

At Whole foods you can surely find some of Judy's goats, Capriola Farms. At my whole foods they are kept in a glass case - ask for help. Specifically ask the cheese specialists for capriola farms varieties, they will show you. Some of them you should be able to try, others are sold int he whole (thus no trying). I love their Sofia, O'Bannon, and Chevre's. See their website: http://www.capriolegoatcheese.com/

Cypress Hills is another vendor of Goats at Whole foods....ask for recommendations on this puppy too.

Hope that helps!

P.S You can also order capriola farms via their website or even call them. They are such nice folks. I betcha if you tell them that your a newbee they will help direct you at a variety that you should find appealing. Really....it will be worth the cost of shipping and all that. SOO good.

Many of the fresh goats are great paired with honey or fruit (think pears, rasberries). Although, ia m not to fond of the fruit/cheese pairings many people are. And I know Judy does this.

However, I do like to eat honey while eating cheese (not together int he same bite...think one bite of cheese, a little honey (straight), after...okay okay I am lying, its more like 5 bites of cheese to the ratio of one honey....but you get my drift....

Dave thank you for the tip on using a stronger red wine for the Fleur Du Marquis. Used a cabernet and it really made the cheese taste delicious.

Thanks for tip on leaving the Brie out for 4 hours. It was slightly runny, but I will leave it out for at 4 hours next time.

I will try the brebis can you recommend a brand?

Your phots of the Pechegos make me drool!

Linsay Ann, I have looked at the Capriola Farm website.

The ones that interest me are the Wabash Cannonball, Banon, and Sophia.

Can you tell me if you have them as a dessert cheese or a before dinner cheese?

What do you mainly drink with these 3 cheeses?

The Wabash Cannonball is terrific.

As for pecorino, look for a soft one. Most that are widely available are hard, but a soft is well worh the effort to find it. The less expensive pre-packaged percorinos can often be very salty. :angry:

Stop Family Violence

Shar,

I agree with Lindsay - try to find pecorino toscano. They range in age from young, soft, and mild to more aged, harder, and stronger. They are delicious. Depending on where you are, if you have a good cheesemonger, see if they have any cheeses from Sally Jackson. They are unbelievabley yummy.

I'm glad you gave the Fleur de Maquis another try - it is a wonderful cheese.

One of the best cheeses from the Cypress Grove folks is the Humboldt Fog - it is goat and I have never served to anyone who didn't love it - even goat cheese "haters".

Just keep on tryin' till you find what you like!

gfron and Dave - the pix are beautiful! Dave...I am worried I will never taste that Pechegos again...unless I go to France.