• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese (2005–2008)

chefbrendis

Thanks for all the great pix!  Your selection looks great - I am not surprised your guests demolished the La Serena - it is a spectacular cheese.  A sheeps milk from Spain, it's rennet comes from a local thistle - it gives it a herbaceous flavor along w/the sheep tanginess. 

Sometimes it is so soft that you can spoon it out like you would a real vacherin.

I had let it sit out for several hours prior to serving. It had gotten that soft by the time I put it on the cheese platter. I provided a knife (shaped like a spreader) anyway.

They eliminated one of the five counties?????  Which one?????

My guess is Somerset (Cheddar), based on the colors of the cheeses that together make up Five Counties (Double Gloucester, Red Leicester, Cheshire, Derby, Somerset Cheddar). How they managed to just whack off the one layer is interesting. Enough people cut it across the layers as you should that the wedge is more like a cube now.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

How I love holiday cheese offerings! I stood at the kitchen counter last nite and growled at any small offspring that came close to my selection:

a thin cake slice of mascarpone/gorgonzola mishmoose

delice' triple creme

the stripey jack thing from Britain

wisconsin cheddar--total letdown, BTW.

good ol' Swedish fontina

Honestly, the array of breads, crackers and toast both Melba and wheat boule were just a way for me to distract others from my cheese. Is that wrong?

Happy New Year!

:blush::blush:

wisconsin cheddar--total letdown, BTW.

That raises an interesting subject.

Wisconsin is "America's Dairyland," and that's not just a license plate slogan; I believe the state still leads the nation in milk and cheese production. Wisconsin produces tons and tons of cheese annually, including the first all-American variety*, Colby (a softer, milder, creamier variant of Cheddar), and some really fine domestic variants of well-known European varieties--not to mention some interesting new varieties like the Rofumo I mentioned above.

And yet I can't recall ever eating what I'd call a truly outstanding Cheddar cheese from Wisconsin. No Wisconsin Cheddar I've yet encountered is better than commercial quality--and I've had better commercial-quality Cheddars from New York State, Vermont and Oregon. The A&P store brand of New York State extra sharp Cheddar is IMO superior to anything I've had yet from Wisconsin.

Why is this, given the extensive cheesemaking expertise represented by Wisconsin's dairy farmers and cheesemakers collectively?

*(Alta) California was still part of Mexico when Monterrey Jack cheese was first produced.

• 2 weeks later...

Way advance heads-up:

One of the companies that produces episodes of the History Channel series Modern Marvels is at work on an episode on cheese.

I have no idea when this will air, though I suspect not until the 2007-08 season.

As Modern Marvels is the History Channel's series devoted to scientific, engineering and technological achievements, I imagine we will be treated to all sorts of interesting cheesetech on this show. Edited to add: And they're casting a wide net. The ProfNet query that tipped me off to this project stated that the producers are even looking for information on aerosol cheese. :raz:

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy - glad to see your post. Was beginning to think that nobody was eating cheese any more.

Post Holiday guilt?

Somebody's out there discovering new and/or better cheeses; let's hear from you!

Sandy - glad to see your post. Was beginning to think that nobody was eating cheese any more.

Post Holiday guilt?

Somebody's out there discovering new and/or better cheeses; let's hear from you!

HAAHA yeah right like any "post holiday guilt" could be strong enough to keep me restrained from cheese....yeah right!

I got a sheeps blue with heavy viening today (cant remember name, will look and tell you later). Its good, not nearly anything as good as my neil's yard stiltons blue!

I also picked up a raw milk gyuere (sp...I am drawing a blank - what is going on with me here!) and a goats brie.....mmmmm

still enjoying my cheese, like always!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Post Holiday guilt?

HAAHA yeah right like any "post holiday guilt" could be strong enough to keep me restrained from cheese....yeah right!

I got a sheeps blue with heavy viening today (cant remember name, will look and tell you later). Its good, not nearly anything as good as my neil's yard stiltons blue!

I also picked up a raw milk gyuere (sp...I am drawing a blank - what is going on with me here!) and a goats brie.....mmmmm

still enjoying my cheese, like always!

Knew we could count on you!

Your blue sheep is probably similar to a Roquefort. Did you know that Roquefort and Stilton are the same bacteria? Just that Stilton is cows milk.

The English classic is Stilton with a good vintage port. Now that's good!

Just bought some mroe yummy yummy cheese!

Montemebro (goats cheese, smaller production, creamy and wonderful but a bit pricey)

Camellia...I love this goats cheese when its super ripe (real soft)...which this one is! It was the only one this ripe out of the whole bunch....its oozy! You eat the rind with this one...when its not ripe its not nearly as good and the flavor is mild....not deap and intense as this ripe sucker is!

Bucheron Aged Goats Milk, french....really good....a creamy outer rim (by the rind) and a crumbly yet smooth center.....

Yes, I obviously love goats milk cheese!

Got another Niels Yard Stilton blue too...the sheep blue I bought yesterday I ended up disapointed with the more of it I ate... So I jsut threw it out *which is hard, but why eat something that is not nearly as good as another variety at my disposal*....I am once again content to have my fav blue!

Edited by LindsayAnn (log)

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Good to see everyone resurfacing!

While I have actually been limiting my cheese intake for a few weeks, I have just arrived in San Francisco for the annual Fancy Food Show - sure to be lots of good cheeses there.

I'll let you know if I see anything new and interesting.

Lindsay - I am with you about ditching food that you don't like - life is too short to eat mediocre food!

gallery_5277_2884_1102810.jpg

I'm finally getting around to posting the cheese plate I made at Christmas.

That's Butler's Blackstick blue on the left, very creamy cow's milk blue. My spouses' favorite. Middle top is a tripe creme brie(St. Andre's??) and top right is goat cheese gouda. Middle lower is a supermarket cheddar. Served with apples, pears, walnuts and marcona almonds.

Stop Family Violence

Well,not to re-open the 10 yr gouda debate, but that's why I think it is impossible. The 3 yr vintage pictured here and the 5 yr vintage are a real challenge. I really can't imagine it would be possible to cut a 10 yr gouda.

Just my humble opinion, and as I said, the opinion of my gouda importer.

On the other hand, I have mixed feelings about these vintage goudas. The natural milk sugars get very concentrated as it ages, and the end product is often very sweet - butterscotchy, caramely flavors. They are fine for nibbling in small quantities w/fruit or nuts, but they are so so overpowering, I cant' imagine doing anything else with them.

People love them or hate them.

I prefer the 18 mo goudas like Amsterdam Reserve or Robusto - a little sweet overtone, but complex and nutty. I also love the medium aged goat goudas.

This is a teaser rather than a report, as the pictures will make clear. The report will come once these have been eaten, quite likely once I get Vince and Aaron over here for a tasting.

My 27-year-old platform bed is falling apart, so last Saturday, I headed down to Ikea, where one of their bed frames was on sale. I left with the bed frame, a splatter guard, a small box of snack crackers, two bottles of Swedish sparkling juices and some cheese.

Ikea stores in the US function as small Swedish trade fairs now, thanks to the presence of a food section just past the checkouts. (You have to either go back through the checkouts to pay for your purchases or pay for them at the bistro next to the food display.) The food section has a variety of Swedish products, with lingonberries featured prominently. Among them are cheeses from Sweden, both non-native (there is a mild Swiss--not Jarlsberg, which IIRC is Danish anyway) and indigenous, like these two:

gallery_20347_2076_75264.jpg

"Grandfather's Style Snapcheese," says the English translation on the back. After looking at the Falbygdens web site and finding nothing useful in the English-language version, then translating "Brännvin" separately, I think that that last word should be "schnapps cheese," for this semi-soft cow's milk cheese is injected with aquavit -- or what would probably be called "schnapps" in the US.

gallery_20347_2076_81549.jpg

According to the igourmet.com Encyclopedia of Cheese, Herrgårdsost is the second-most-popular variety of cheese in Sweden, a semi-soft cheese that comes in large wheels with tiny holes and is similar to Gouda in character. According to recipetips.com's Glossary of Kitchen and Food Terms, Herrgårdsost has a soft supple texture, lots of tiny holes and "a nutty, tangy flavor, very similar to cheddar, that intensifies with age." So what's this cheese like -- Gouda or Cheddar? Tune in again tomorrow for the next installment of As the Wheel Turns.

I also picked up one non-cheese item, mainly for the humor value. Some of you will get it:

gallery_20347_2076_61132.jpg

At only $2.79 for the jar, this can't be all that fancy a delicacy. I just hope that "Mamma Mia" doesn't start playing when I open the box.

It looks as if Ikea has a one-price policy for the cheeses they sell. All of them were $6.99 a pound.

This is a teaser rather than a report, as the pictures will make clear.  The report will come once these have been eaten, quite likely once I get Vince and Aaron over here for a tasting.

My 27-year-old platform bed is falling apart, so last Saturday, I headed down to Ikea, where one of their bed frames was on sale.  I left with the bed frame, a splatter guard, a small box of snack crackers, two bottles of Swedish sparkling juices and some cheese.

Ikea stores in the US function as small Swedish trade fairs now, thanks to the presence of a food section just past the checkouts.  (You have to either go back through the checkouts to pay for your purchases or pay for them at the bistro next to the food display.)  The food section has a variety of Swedish products, with lingonberries featured prominently.  Among them are cheeses from Sweden, both non-native (there is a mild Swiss--not Jarlsberg, which IIRC is Danish anyway) and indigenous, like these two:

gallery_20347_2076_75264.jpg

"Grandfather's Style Snapcheese," says the English translation on the back.  After looking at the Falbygdens web site and finding nothing useful in the English-language version, then translating "Brännvin" separately, I think that that last word should be "schnapps cheese," for this semi-soft cow's milk cheese is injected with aquavit -- or what would probably be called "schnapps" in the US.

gallery_20347_2076_81549.jpg

According to the igourmet.com Encyclopedia of Cheese, Herrgårdsost is the second-most-popular variety of cheese in Sweden, a semi-soft cheese that comes in large wheels with tiny holes and is similar to Gouda in character.  According to recipetips.com's Glossary of Kitchen and Food Terms, Herrgårdsost has a soft supple texture, lots of tiny holes and "a nutty, tangy flavor, very similar to cheddar, that intensifies with age."  So what's this cheese like -- Gouda or Cheddar?  Tune in again tomorrow for the next installment of As the Wheel Turns.

I also picked up one non-cheese item, mainly for the humor value.  Some of you will get it:

gallery_20347_2076_61132.jpg

At only $2.79 for the jar, this can't be all that fancy a delicacy.  I just hope that "Mamma Mia" doesn't start playing when I open the box.

It looks as if Ikea has a one-price policy for the cheeses they sell.  All of them were $6.99 a pound.

Ha - Caviar from Lumpfish!! So they are saying its not really caviar at all! What are they trying to slip past us? Ain't gonna work on this broad!!!

2.79 for caviar...what? That seems CRAZY....oh yeah it would be crazy because its really 2.79 for lumpfish~

:raz:

Ha - Caviar from Lumpfish!! So they are saying its not really caviar at all! What are they trying to slip past us? Ain't gonna work on this broad!!!

2.79 for caviar...what? That seems CRAZY....oh yeah it would be crazy because its really 2.79 for lumpfish~

Remember, Lindsay, this is Ikea. Actually, the "caviar" is lumpfish veneer over particle board. :biggrin:

Love your life's philosophy and attitude, BTW.

LindsayAnn - Justement as we say over here. Calm down. They clearly say it isn't 'caviare' and it isn't. \

BUT ,,, its not bad at all. Lump fish eggs (caviare being Sturgeon eggs) taste pretty good and can do very well as a substitute for the real thing.

Retired cheapskates can't always afford the real stuff & don't necessarily want to support Mr. Putin so use lump fish.

For those that are having difficulty cutting cheeses, you might consider using a cheese wire.

I have several just like this $2.95 inexpensive ones you can get at Fantes.

cheese wire at fantes.com

Superior Kitchen Gadgets has one.

There are several more on ebay, one is 28 inches long.

Joe's Basement will make them to order up to 48 inches.

If you have a large wheel and don't want to cut all the way through it, stand it on its side, securing it so it won't roll or tip over, and cut down toward the center as far as you wish, remove the wire and cut down again to remove a wedge.

The technique I use is to start the cut close to one handle and drag that handle away from the cheese as I put downward pressure on both handles.

For very hard grating cheeses I use a Wusthof parmesan knife and a mallet with a rawhide head.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

For those that are having difficulty cutting cheeses, you might consider using a cheese wire.

I have several just like this $2.95 inexpensive ones you can get at Fantes.

cheese wire at fantes.com

Don't you just love the 'Net?

I'm sure the folks at Fante's do too, for that way, they can sell stuff to you all the way across the country as easily as they can to me about a half mile from their store.

Sandy,

tell us about the Swedish cheeses you bought at Ikea. I'd like to hear if the one washed in aquavit had an interesting flavor.

Lindsay, I actually like lumpfish caviar - I love all salty fishy things like chovies, sardines, smoked mussels, etc. You just can't compare it to the real thing - it is what it is. It's fun for those little hollowed-out new potato appetizers w/sour cream - at $ 2.79, you can use liberally for color and salty tang.

Sandy,

tell us about the Swedish cheeses you bought at Ikea.  I'd like to hear if the one washed in aquavit had an interesting flavor.

Lindsay, I actually like lumpfish caviar - I love all salty fishy things like chovies, sardines, smoked mussels, etc.  You just can't compare it to the real thing - it is what it is.  It's fun for those little hollowed-out new potato appetizers w/sour cream - at $ 2.79, you can use liberally for color and salty tang.

The cheese remains under vacuum-wrapped seal in the fridge. Neither partner nor roomie are big cheeseheads, and I really want to have someone else who is on hand when I try these for the first time. Not to worry, though -- as soon as I do, I'll have a full report, illustrated.

But in the meantime, those appetizers sound interesting; perhaps you can tell me how to make them?

I can tell you, however, that the bed is attractive, and the materials used quite sturdy, having finally assembled it today. :biggrin:

Edited by MarketStEl (log)