• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese (2005–2008)

chefbrendis

Dave thank you for the tip on using a stronger red wine for the Fleur Du Marquis. Used a cabernet and it really made the cheese taste delicious.

Thanks for tip on leaving the Brie out for 4 hours.  It was slightly runny, but I will leave it out for at 4 hours next time. 

I will try the brebis can you recommend a brand?

Your phots of the Pechegos make me drool!

Linsay Ann, I have looked at the Capriola Farm website.

The ones that interest me are the Wabash Cannonball, Banon, and Sophia.

Can you tell me if you have them as a dessert cheese or a before dinner cheese?

What do you mainly drink with these 3 cheeses?

See here is my case-in-point: I am no expert....meaning - I eat cheese before meals, after meals, and even as meals (with other things, crackers, breads, etc...). I know some experts will say this cheeese is meant for dessert, this one for a pre-meal experience, etc....

I just happen to enjoy cheese (all of them), whenever (I feel like it).

Sorry I couldnt be of more help as to the "when to eat this or that cheese" specifics...this is an area on cheese that I know little of (and dont really care to know anything of- haha).

Best of luck, report back to us! I am waiting (patiently, or trying) on your future attempts with the cheese.

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

LIFES PHILOSOPHY: Love, Live, Laugh

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Dave...I am worried I will never taste that Pechegos again...unless I go to France.

Well, we normally have a spare bedroom or two so what's stopping you?

See here is my case-in-point: I am no expert....meaning - I eat cheese before meals, after meals, and even as meals (with other things, crackers, breads, etc...). I know some experts will say this cheeese is meant for dessert, this one for a pre-meal experience, etc....

Amen! Whenever & wherever you feel the urge (to eat cheese) works for me. For instance:

I'm going to have lunch now. Home made soup. Four cheeses (2 chevre, 1 Vache & the rest of the Pechegos). A nice whole grain bread & a nice bottle of 2002 Chateau Vyella madiran to wash it down with. Linda, Jacques & I will be well satisfied afterwards.

It is a sad sad day - I was planning to endulge in some of my new cheese purchases today - but I was struck by a migraine (I get these a few times a year), the worst I have ever had in my life....ever. I didnt sleep a wink, didnt go to bed until 5PM and slept till 7PM. I am so exhausted that I have no appetite (esp. for cheese). Booo...maybe tomorrow!

"One Hundred Years From Now It Will Not Matter What My Bank Account Was, What Kind of House I lived in, or What Kind of Car I Drove, But the World May Be A Better Place Because I Was Important in the Life of A Child."

hmmm - as it appears if you are eating good food with the ones you love you will be living life to its fullest, surely laughing and smiling throughout!!!

Hey, if that's what you have for lunch, maybe I'll take you up on that spare bedroom!

Whenever! Try my blog below to see what you can get when you go out to a restaurant around here.

Amazing; but the cheeses aren't much at this price

Thanks everyone for your information.

Tried a brebis last night and really like it. The search continues for all the cheese you all wrote about. Unfortunately the Whole Foods in our area does not carry the Capriola Farm cheeses, so after Christmas I will order from them.

I did see the Humbolt Fog cheese yesterday but didn't remember the name of the cheese co. that was recommended, but now have it written down and in my purse so I will pick that up next time. I will also search for a soft pecorino toscano.

Didn't I read somewhere that cheese can be a contributing factor to migraines...? :hmmm:

Si

* I can't hear you!!!*

Kidding around...yes I have heard this Simon and Gariotin, I just don;t listen well. Haha

No for real though, I don't think its the cheese (in my case I mean). I have been told by my doctor (although this was when I was 8 years old, thus 17 years ago) that is was probably MSG in my case. We did testing, food journals linked to my headaches....etc... I therefore TRY to avoid MSG, but at times this ingredient is in things that I would never suspect (I mean its in the liptons french onion soup mix, the one that you can make chip dip with). I def. know MSG is in a lot of prosessed foods, meats (salami's, hotdogs, etc..) so on these common items I check labels.

Yet when at restaurants, MSG is often used (its very flavorful and goes along way, thus saves the restaurants money and they therefore often use it).

I eat cheese daily, yet only get headaches maybe 2-3 times a month (normal headaches), migrains are more sporatic (sp?), sometimes I will go 3-4 months without one, and then I will all the sudden get migraines twice in a month. I would estimate I get around 4-8 a year. Sucks though, when they hit its the most excruciating pain, unlike ANYTHING I have experienced. They can last up to 24 hours (in my case), and I HAVE to be in a dark, cool room with NO noise. Also - when I ahve a migraine I cannot fall asleep, which makes it all the worse. Migraines and headaches are soooo different - you know when you have a migraine,. I wouldnt wish these basterds on anyone, ever....

Okay, sorry to blab on and on! My migraine is all gone though, and after you have one not having one feels so good. Just feeling normal, without pain, is the best feeling ever!!!! :raz::biggrin:

LindsayAnn,

Having experienced a couple of migraines in my life (always preceded by strange eyesight effects) you have my sympathy. However, I'm glad to hear that cheese is most likely not the culprit. That would be just *too* unfair!!

Si

Shar,

Hum...I'm not surprised that the FL WF don't have Capriole, but I'll bet they sell Humboldt Fog - if they have a service case, make sure they cut a piece for you, don't buy a pre-wrapped one if you can avoid it. They may also have some great French goats to try - Le Chevrot, Chevre d'Or, and the little cheeses from Les Saveur des Pyrenees like the aformentionted Gariotin, but also Lingot. Try to befriend some people behind the cheese counter and tell them you are interested in expanding your cheese tasting - they will undoubtedly have some great ideas for you.

I look out on the Atlantic from my little office window south of Boston. We are lucky here to have great selections in our WF, but also several nice small cheesemongers like Formaggio Kitchen, Cheese Shop Concord, Russo's, Shubie's - I'm leaving out so many, but you get the point. Several people on the thread know that I am a ringer - I have been in the cheese business for over 25 years and am passionate about turning people on to good cheese!

Boston, a great city! I envy you.

The cheese person at Whole Foods here was very helpful and offered lots of samples and he was quite enthusiastic about his job. Next week I will return and check out some of the suggestions offered. My list is very long!!

Have you ordered on line, if so, can you recommend a good source?

Boston, a great city! I envy you.

The cheese person at Whole Foods here was very helpful and offered lots of samples and he was quite enthusiastic about his job. Next week I will return and check out some of the suggestions offered.  My list is very long!!

Have you ordered on line, if so, can you recommend a good source?

http://www.artisanalcheese.com/products.asp?dept=1010

Here you are ma'dam....great sight...tons of choices. You can even search by milk type, cheese consistency (blue, fresh and mild, hard, semi soft, soft, stinky, etc....)

And - even wine searches are available...I beleive that they even have the option of recommending wines for pairings.

How's that for a site!

I agree w/Lindsay Ann - Artisinal is a great site, BUT they are probably the most expensive of the bunch. They do have some great items, but I am not always a fan of their affinage. Poke around there though - there are some beautiful cheeses. I have bought from Zingermans (www.zingermans.com) - in fact I shd have a piece of one of my fave British artisinal cheds waiting for me tomorrow when I get home. It is called Lincolnshire Poacher and it is delicious. I know some manufacturers sell to a website called igourmet, so you may want to check them out as well.

Lindsay Ann - assume you have recovered from the migraine and are eating cheese again?

I agree w/Lindsay Ann - Artisinal is a great site, BUT they are probably the most expensive of the bunch.  They do have some great items, but I am not always a fan of their affinage.  Poke around there though - there are some beautiful cheeses.  I have bought from Zingermans (www.zingermans.com) - in fact I shd have a piece of one of my fave British artisinal cheds waiting for me tomorrow when I get home.  It is called Lincolnshire Poacher and it is delicious.  I know some manufacturers sell to a website called igourmet, so you may want to check them out as well.

Lindsay Ann - assume you have recovered from the migraine and are eating cheese again?

You betcha Gariotin! And, you can all call me Lindsay, LindsayAnn was my screen name cause it appeared that Lindsay was taken! And Ann, is my last name :raz:

Thanks for asking though - really! You're too kind

I agree w/Lindsay Ann - Artisinal is a great site, BUT they are probably the most expensive of the bunch.  They do have some great items, but I am not always a fan of their affinage.  Poke around there though - there are some beautiful cheeses.  I have bought from Zingermans (www.zingermans.com) - in fact I shd have a piece of one of my fave British artisinal cheds waiting for me tomorrow when I get home.  It is called Lincolnshire Poacher and it is delicious.  I know some manufacturers sell to a website called igourmet, so you may want to check them out as well.

BAHHH I just checked out Zingermans (I have never heard of it previous to now) and searched for you beloved Lincolnshire Poacher....sold out! BOOOO Both the 1/2pd and the pd are all gone. What shall I do? I wanted to taste this since I got the recommendation from the almighty cheese lord, Gariotin!

So, any other recommendations, oh lord?

They have some of the best customer service in the industry - try to find their phone number on the webpage to give them a call and ask when they might have more coming in. If anyone is inclined, they also have a great "cheese of the month" program - might make a good holiday gift.

"...almighty cheese lord..." - like the ring of that!

"...almighty cheese lord..." - like the ring of that!

Will you still speak to us of cheeses now that you have been so rightly anointed?

Be kind oh Lord of Affinage.

Your humble servant

Yank

You guys are funny!

Now that I've thought about it, I think The Cheese Queen is a better moniker.

For supper tonite, I plan to have a nice green salad, baguette and cheeses. Oh, of course wine too!

I have to clean out the little pieces in the cheese drawer:

Chevre Noir - wonderful, aged goat cheddar from Tournevent in Quebec. Consistent winner at the American Cheese Society competition and nothing at all like young ched.

Roquefort - couldn't get Carles, so it will be Societe - not my fave, but pretty darn good

Sottocenere - wonderful Italian w/ash-rubbed rind.

L'Edel de Cleron - yummy, unctuous soft ripened

Just enough of each for a little taste - yum!

I so associate Dave w/the cheese thread, that I posted this on this interesting walnut oil topic. It is obviously so cheese related! Found out that he lives close to the town of Roquefort...

So if you are so close to Roquefot, what brand do you prefer? I am a Carles girl, myself, but I am appreciating a new one from Gabriel Coulet called "Le Petit Cave" - I think it is a "special" aging for the US, which means it is the same old stuff. I hear the village itself is quite small? I would love to go someday - your link was VERY interesting!

That is a sad, but unfortunately worldwide, story of vanishing farms. Here in New England, they are folding like cardtables. While some of us want to get closer the the food source, it is truly harder and harder to do.

Am planning a nice cheese course for Xmas dinner, which will be butterflied leg of lamb w/herbs, garlic & lemon in the center, potato gratin provencale w/olives, tomatos, chevre, and quick sauteed broccoli rabe w/fruity olive oil and garlic. Sophie (daughter who works at Whole Foods cheese dept) will bring a soft-ripened, goat, and blue of her choice. I will augment w/the Lincolnshire Poacher I got from Zingermans and some leftover samples from the Fine Cheese Co in Bath, England. Anyone on this thread know them? One of the most beautiful cheesemongers I have ever visited - they buy small, artisinal production much like Neal's Yard. One is called "Lord of the Hundreds" - it is a cheddar - another is Sharpham Rustic, a beautiful cow's milk, formed in a basket. Comes plain (cow's milke) or with herb and garlic. This came about by accident - cows were grazing and eating wild garlic. Milk was full of it and cheesemaker was dumping. Had an Eureka moment - aha, why not make garlic-flavored cheese? The rest is history.... Last one is Cornish Blue - a VERY nice, award-winning blue...obviously from Cornwall. So is Christmas dinner...

It is the holiday season, so I hope you and Rupert will forgive me. Look forward to more cheese discussions in '07. Oops, wrong thread! Thought I was supposed to rhapsodize about cheese!

Lindsay, gfron, Chufi, Dorine, Lori, et al...any interesting cheese plans for the holidays?

LAST farmers market for for the year (and until May actually!) tomorrow. I will be bringing my camera for this special occasion (If I remember....my fiance jsut got me a new digital camera for my 25th birthday yesterday! One that actually works!). He also got me a chuck of stilton blue...haha. He told me he went to the corner shop on the way home to get me birthday flowers (a gormet food/coffee shop in chicago right by house condo), and grabbed some flowers...he saw a cheese selection at the counter, and told the owner "my fiance is a 'cheese snob', she likes the strong cheeses too....what do I get her?". He was told: "AH you gotta get her this, she'll love it, its an award winning blue...."

And - home he came with a stilton blue! He was right, I do love it (and I already had a small sliver of it leftover in the fridge...hehe,

Greg, the fiance, told me "I cannot believe I am getting you this, I hate this smelly crap"....supposedly my cheese hs smelled up our fridge...Greg cant stand the stuff, but puts up with it for me!

Okay, so anyway, tomorrow, farmers market...and guess who will be honoring us with their presence for this last occasion? CAPRIOLA FARMS!!!! AHHHHH YES! The camera will surely be tagging along with me in my purse, and I will post pictures tomorrow morning sometime...I hope I remember how to....can someone give me the run down on how to post them? ( I know I will screw it up)

Found the Humboldt Fog and it was delicious.

Today my order arrives from Capriole Cheese.  Couldn't wait until after Christmas to order!

Shar so happy to hear you ordered from capriola....what did you order again?

Humboldt fog is great, I agree...

I will see the owners of capriola today at the market...and I am taking pictures!

gallery_45216_4028_349030.jpg