• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chufi - Shopping and cooking in Amsterdam

Chufi

We went out to dinner, to restaurant De Compagnon, a very small restaurant in a little alley just off the Warmoesstraat. Here's what we had:

gallery_21505_358_9594.jpg

brill with truffle sauce and truffles

gallery_21505_358_4882.jpg

crisp fried sweetbreads on celeriac mash

gallery_21505_358_55939.jpg

porcini crusted scallops

gallery_21505_358_3767.jpg

steak with roasted garlic sauce and wild pigeon with truffle sauce.

It was a lovely dinner, full of good, classic flavours. With it we had a Cote Rotie 1997 that made us very happy:

gallery_21505_358_56871.jpg

And afterwards, a chocolate mousse that ended up looking horrid in the picture..

After that we went to one of my favourite cafe's. If you love beer, and if, like me, you think that tap-beer is superior to beer from a bottle, this is the place to visit: In de Wildeman:

gallery_21505_358_21756.jpg

this is the display with all the beers they have on tap:

gallery_21505_358_33827.jpg

So, this is the end to my week of blogging. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did!

I love my city and I loved showing you some aspects of life here in Amsterdam - and how wonderful it is to be able to live, shop, eat and cook here.

Thanks for sharing my life this week!

this is me.. this evening after dinner.. blurry but happy which is how I feel right now:

gallery_21505_358_4426.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

I'd like to add my voice to the thank-yous as well.

I forgot to mention earlier that there is another Europe-centered blog in the works. Look for it during Easter Week....only eight weeks away. No, I'm not hinting which country. That'd be too easy. :wink:

Soba

Oh Chufi, thank you so very much for this blog. I have come to realize how much work a blog is, and yours came at the right time: it was like a mini-holiday! I really enjoyed the drink-music link also. It IS important!! Again, merci!!! Hope you post the outing you were to have somewhere when it happens. I'll be watching.

OK get a grip everybody!! There really is more to Amsterdam than fries  :biggrin:  :biggrin:

Well of course there is, there is the beer, and the pot, and, umm, the beer and the pot ;).

Still, awesome blog, even if it was lacking in debauchery ;).

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

Chufi,

I have followed your blog with great delight. I have never visited Amsterdam but now I feel that my life will not be complete unless I see your lovely city and taste some of the amazing foods that you have shown in your photos.

You are truly a wonderful ambassador for your city and country.

Thank you so much for letting us visit with you for the week, it has been absolutely inspiring.

Andie

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett