• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

ITV cooking program - Chef Versus Britain

I see, so how old are you if you don't mind me asking?!

Where would you think of opening a resturant?

well i'm 28 I plan to open my restaurant when I hit 30

so it still quite a long way down the line but initial plans are to open somewhere in West London as i know the area well.

I would like to open in central london but rent is too high and its a lot more complicated, costs and competition.

Also for my first attempt planning to do it relatively small and simple

max I think would be a 30-40 seater restaurant and very simple decor.

The food will be authentic pacific rim stuff and it will be what I would call casual dining.

Just an aside, but there is a saying that if you don't do it by the time your 30, you will not do it.I made it by 3 weeks :laugh:

Edited by Basildog (log)

Origami, ever heard of kakonda? sp.>?? A fijian dish, meant to be great...

Any egulleters got some further info?

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Origami, ever heard of kakonda? sp.>?? A fijian dish, meant to be great...

Any egulleters got some further info?

nope never heard of it :huh:

but a quick google turns up a page saying kakonda is the fijian version of ceviche.

hope that helps

"so tell me how do you bone a chicken?"

"tastes so good makes you want to slap your mamma!!"

Just got back from the FOOD LOVER'S audition.

kinda a waste of time compared to the other shows I went for.

Got there at 4pm at the Holborn Hotel walked into a waiting room of about 30 mixed fruit and nuts all with big stickers stuck on there tops with a number.

I was number L189A.

(I am not a NUMBER I am a free man!!)

It was a pretty mixed crowd a cross section of ages and races and I wasn't the only chinese person there this time.

There were two quite cute chinese cookiess there, shame they smoked :hmmm:

anyhoo waited a whole hour before they saw me. :angry:

Walked in stood up in front of the camera and and stated my name, rank and serial number ( name, age, occupation, my application number :raz: )

and then they asked me 4 questions

Q1.Why do you want to be on TV?

A1. I'm only interested in cooking programs as i like to think i am a good cook and its something i love. I grew up in a kitchen and its in my blood.

Q2.Where do you see yourself in 5 Years?

A2.Hopefully be running my own restaurant serving a selection of the best and authentic oriental and pacific rim dishes.

Q3.How do you take criticism at work?

A3.If its constructive, valid and reasonable no problem if its unreasonable and rude

will get revenge!!!! :cool:

Q4.How do you feel about working in a restuarant kitchen for 2 weeks?

A4.I swap 2 weeks in a western kitchen anyday compared to 2 weeks in a chinese takeaway restaurant.

and that was it!!

I audition too... @ 2:00

My audition went really well.. I had two of them.... :biggrin: The first one audition was like orgami's, but they asked me alot more questions. Then was asked to stay around for a second one.

They are looking for charismatic and real food lovers people to appear in a reality show where 10 people (amature & professional) work in a kitchen under a head chef, with one winning.

They would not confirm that it was Hell's kitchen.

The'll be letting us know in march.. fingers crossed :biggrin:

I audition too...  @ 2:00

My audition went really well.. I had two of them.... :biggrin:   The first one audition was like orgami's, but they asked me alot more questions. Then was asked to stay around for a second one.

They are looking for charismatic and real food lovers people to appear in a reality show where 10 people (amature & professional) work in a kitchen under a head chef, with one winning.

They would not confirm that it was Hell's kitchen. 

The'll be letting us know in march..  fingers crossed  :biggrin:

welcome

yeah the question set looks like a hell's kitchen type thing.

just thought it was a little bit suss as they didn't ask me about food or cooking?

What questions they ask you in the second interview?

btw good luck :)

keep us updated and start a thread if you get on to the show.

Edited by origamicrane (log)

:hmmm: not so good...

looks like oriental city shopping centre fallen through.

Tv people have decided to shoot it at a Westminster Kingsway College Cooking School. It actually held the Chinese masterchef cooking competition last year so at least I don't have to worry about the kitchen equipment.

But it looks like the producer is really just driving the show down the path to a purely chinese cooking competition, which unfortunately is of little interest to me :sad: mainly cause chinese take away cooking is like burgers and chips to me.

oh well as i said before if it turns into a farce I will treat it as one.

I'm actually just waiting for the producer to turn round and say "can you make chow mein?" or "sweet and sour chicken" :angry:

• 3 weeks later...

morning all!!

filming for Chef V Britain tomorrow and saturday

aka Sam versus Gino in the chilli crab and sticky rice cook off. :wink:

It should be fun, will write up something about it on sunday.

If they let me take photos and stuff of the show I will post them online.

Also The FOODLOVER'S program is HELL'S KITCHEN had a look in London's

Metro newspaper today and there was an ad for Hell'sKitchen with the application email address of FOOLOVERS@ITV.COM.

They are still doing auditions around the country during March

so if you wanna be a wannabe

or you wanna be abused by 'ole Gordon Ramsay then apply.

Ukfoodie you had any feedback from the program yet?

They are still doing auditions around the country during March so if you wanna be a wannabe or you wanna be abused by 'ole Gordon Ramsay then apply.

Ramsay isn't doing this series because of his golden handcuffs deal with channel 4. Its going to be JC Novelli.

They are still doing auditions around the country during March so if you wanna be a wannabe or you wanna be abused by 'ole Gordon Ramsay then apply.

Ramsay isn't doing this series because of his golden handcuffs deal with channel 4. Its going to be JC Novelli.

According to Digital Spy they are replacing Ramsay with Novelli and Marcus Wareing. No indication of whether or not if one of them is notionally in charge, or if there might be someone else involved.

Wareing and Novelli - now there's an unlikely pairing. In the original series you had Angela Hartnett working alongside Ramsay, but as she works for him in "real life" there was no issue about who was going to head up the kitchen. With these two, there is no such established hierarchy and there is a real possibility of a power struggle. Maybe that's the point. (I know who I'd appoint as head chef though.)

I'm going to to see if i can plug egullet on the tv program

not sure if it will make it into the finished show but i will try.

but how would i describe egullet?

foodie website? website for culinary arts and letter? :unsure:

Try "food meta-site" and see how far that gets you! Maybe our statement of purpose will help. Or maybe not.

I always have difficulty summing up eGullet in a just a few words in a meaningful way, especially to people that are not internet-savvy. How about "its where the world goes to talk about food online."

Try "food meta-site" and see how far that gets you! Maybe our statement of purpose will help. Or maybe not. 

I always have difficulty summing up eGullet in a just a few words in a meaningful way, especially to people that are not internet-savvy. How about "its where the world goes to talk about food online."

online food forum?

morning all!!

filming for Chef V Britain tomorrow and saturday   

aka Sam versus Gino in the chilli crab and sticky rice cook off.  :wink:

It should be fun, will write up something about it on sunday.

If they let me take photos and stuff of the show I will post them online.

Also The FOODLOVER'S program is HELL'S KITCHEN had a look in London's

Metro newspaper today and there was an ad for Hell'sKitchen with the application email address of FOOLOVERS@ITV.COM.

They are still doing auditions around the country during March

so if you wanna be a wannabe

or you wanna be abused by 'ole Gordon Ramsay then apply.

Ukfoodie you had any feedback from the program yet?

Good luck with this Chef vs Britain thing. Can't see how a very dyed in wool Itailian/Meditteranean chef is going to be able to compete in a head to head with an expierenced oriental cook cooking oriental food, but then we will have to wait and see. I can't see that the production company or Gino himself is going to want to be made to look a mug on TV. looking forward to the Sun dried tomato & mozzarella spring rolls :raz:

Can you tell me the difference between Red, Yellow & White Miso paste, and why i would use each different one, i am ccoking a recipe with sea bass that just calls for miso paste, so i went to the new moon loon supermarket in gerard street and was presented with these choices. ( i picked red because i am an arsenal supporter :laugh: )

I'm going to to see if i can plug egullet on the tv program

not sure if it will make it into the finished show but i will try.

but how would i describe egullet?

foodie website? website for culinary arts and letter?    :unsure:

food geek website works for me.

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

online food forum?

*puts forum host hat on*

Actually, it's the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts and Letters. There's much more to the site than just this bit (unbelievably) but you could say "the eGullet Society forums".

Andy paid me to say that.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

wow!! finally finished filming!! :cool:

Thanks marky!!!

really not worried, i got nothing to lose hahaha :laugh:

I get to cook one of my favourite dishes, get to plug my takeaway, get on tv and have some fun. :wink:

The tv show should be on in May.

its surprisingly knackering work!!!

Got up today for a 7am start it took over an hour to get a few miles to my archery club because of the heavy snow.

Its strange taking several takes of one conversation. repeating the same conversationover and over again!!! especially as i watch groundhog day lastnight

Its strange taking several takes of one conversation. repeating the same conversationover and over again!!! especially as i watch groundhog day lastnight

:raz: hahaha!

Anyway filmed me chatting to Claire Sweeney about my cooking, issuing the challange to Gino ( who will be referred to as Joey from this point on :wink: "how you doing?" ).

Then went to Loon Fung chinese supermarket in Alperton to film me walking back an forth like a rabid rabbit pretending to buy stuff etc.

While Joey and Claire actually went to oriental city to buy stuff!

Then back to my shop to film me and my parents for the family shot.

Then home to film me making sushi for a couple of friends and just chilling out.

The surprise star of the show will be my friends french bulldog who the camera crew spent about an hour filming!! :wink:

Can you tell me the difference between Red, Yellow & White Miso paste, and why i would use each different one, i am ccoking a recipe with sea bass that just calls for miso paste, so i went to the new moon loon supermarket in gerard street and was presented with these choices. ( i picked red because i am an arsenal supporter :laugh: )

marky

not really an expert on miso torakris on the japanese forum would be a better person to ask, but the difference from my point of view is the saltiness and if it is a fish dish you are making i believe you should have went for the white stuff as its less salty and red is the most salty. What dish are you making?

wow!! finally finished filming!!  :cool:

Thanks marky!!!

really not worried, i got nothing to lose hahaha  :laugh:

I get to cook one of my favourite dishes, get to plug my takeaway, get on tv and have some fun. :wink:

The tv show should be on in May.

its surprisingly knackering work!!!

Got up today for a 7am start it took over an hour to get a few miles to my archery club because of the heavy snow.

:raz:  hahaha!

Anyway filmed me chatting to Claire Sweeney about my cooking,  issuing the challange to Gino ( who will be referred to as Joey from this point on  :wink:  "how you doing?"  ).

Then went to Loon Fung chinese supermarket in Alperton to film me walking back an forth like a rabid rabbit pretending to buy stuff etc.

While Joey and Claire actually went to oriental city to buy stuff!

Then back to my shop to film me and my parents for the family shot.

Then home to film me making sushi for a couple of friends and just chilling out. 

The surprise star of the show will be my friends french bulldog who the camera crew spent about an hour filming!!  :wink:

marky

not really an expert on miso torakris on the japanese forum would be a better person to ask, but the difference from my point of view is the saltiness and if it is a fish dish you are making i believe you should have went for the white stuff as its less salty and red is the most salty. What dish are you making?

2 fillets of sea bass, Skin side of each smeared with Mison and ginger & spring onion sandwiched between the 2 fillets, on a bed of stir fried mangetout with black Beans.

Simple, but oh so tasty!! :biggrin:

hi guys

damn i'm knackered!!!

just got back from the filming.

sorry Andy i didn't kick his butt!!

I lost!! :shock::shock::shock:

anyway photos first talk later

gallery_18280_843_60343.jpg

my work area

gallery_18280_843_39438.jpg

my cameraman simon

gallery_18280_843_13786.jpg

a nice home economist named catherine who was helping me with pots and pans etc

gallery_18280_843_4545.jpg

yours truly looking rather bemused

gallery_18280_843_40601.jpg

crab killing factory

gallery_18280_843_55068.jpg

chilli crab 1

gallery_18280_843_72017.jpg

chilli crab 2 its a lot isn't it?

gallery_18280_843_52519.jpg

chilli crab 3 yet more !!!

gallery_18280_843_45711.jpg

all ready to serve

gallery_18280_843_34390.jpg

a side of sticky rice

gallery_18280_843_46373.jpg

my consolation prize a 20 cm wusthof knife :wink: nice

and this time i learnt from marky and i nicked the apron!!! :laugh: hahahha

gotta love that five finger discount

gallery_18280_843_24597.jpg

my doggie bag of all the crab that i made extra :wub: the best prize!!

ok so here's what happened.

9am arrive put the crabs in the fridge, have some make up

10am film us outside the college and intro to the cook off

11am start filming me cook the filmed dish ie: this is the one where they do mulitple takes of etc. every so often claire would pop in to ask questions about the ingredients and the cooking.

2pm we finish my section and break for lunch

3pm they start filming joey's filmed dish while i do the real cooking for the judged dishes.

At 5.45pm we plate up and serve

6pm the votes are in

6.30pm we all gather in the dining room and the winner is announced.

7pm we do a really cheese outro where joey has an apple on his head and i take my bow and pretend to shoot him with an arrow

7.30pm its a wrap i go home

8pm i'm at home tucking into curry crab and rice :wink:

ok so why did i lose?

1. they had rejected all my signature dishes and at the end i just plumbed for chilli crab that i only ever cooked once before.

2. the dish was singaporean chilli crab and i made a pretty authentic version of it.

Joey on the other hand made crab cakes!!! and a chilli sauce.

3. the real reason i lost is i didn't cater to my clientele!!! the judges didn't know how to eat crab that is still in its shell!!! mofos!!!! and they call themselves cooking students!!! :wacko::shock:

I was confident i was going to win in fact even joey thought i was going to win as he said so in his popvox before the verdict!!

well i guess its what i deserve for being such an overconfident so and so!!

honestly this defeat has been kinda humbling in the sense that i really have to cook for my customers and not myself.

After my defeat had a chat with some of the judges and they said that none of them wanted to use their hands to eat the crab as they were being filmed!!

what the ??!! :wacko: stillborn or what??!!

oh! well at least i got a nice £50 wusthof knife to add to my collection

which is much more then masterchef and this time i took the apron too :wink:

also the producer said he keep my number and asked if i be interested in doing any other cooking programs in the future :wink: which was nice even if he didn't mean it :laugh:

so

did i enjoy myself? yes! definitely i was grinning the whole day!!

did i learn anything? yes! remeber to cater for your clientele and never overestimate their taste or dexterity :wink:

am i disappointed? kinda for the fact that the judges didn't know how to eat crab!

am i humbled? only for today hahaha!! failing is part of life the important part is to recover and bounce back quickly

anyhoo next!!!

hell's kitchen!!

should know if i get on that one at the end of the month!! :wink:

as i said before let is never be said i'm not persistent. :wink:

Edited by origamicrane (log)