• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

my first roast

Chufi

I have always been afraid of large pieces of meat (by large, I mean a size bigger than one portion). I do not know if this is because or despite the fact that I am a butcher's daughter - but that's how it is. I have roasted countless chickens, but the thought of a rib roast or a leg of lamb would just be too scary.

Anyway - one of my resolutions for 2005, is to overcome as many culinary fears as possible. So yesterday I bought a piece of lamb, weight 750 grams, and a meat thermometer. Today I took a deep breath and went to work.

I consulted various roasting charts and settled on Nigella Lawson's. She says to start at oven temp 240 C, after 15 minutes turn doen to 200 C, and cook the meat for 16 minutes per 500 grams if you want it medium. So that's what I did. When the roasting time was up, the thermometer said 70 C. The meat was absolutely beautiful: very moist, slightly pink (which is how I like it) and very very tasty.

Woohoo! I see many more roasts on the horizon! I know this was not a VERY large roast but now I would feel comfortable tackling a larger one.

this was the meat before it went into the oven. It was oddly shaped so I took advantage of that: I spread it with slivers of garlic and chopped thyme and marjoram, before tying it into a more practical shape.

gallery_21505_358_1105642624.jpg

and on the plate, with roasted jerusalem artichokes, and little gem lettuces braised in butter with peas and mint.

gallery_21505_358_1105642865.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Congratulations! May your next roasts be equally as successful!

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

Oh my that is lovely. Think of your meat thermometer as the magic wand that your fairy godmother gave you. You just wave it and all fears disappear. :laugh:

Thank you for reminding me of the lettuce/peas/mint dish. I just found the sticky note where I wrote that down one day while watching the "Two Fat Ladies." I had never heard of that before. Is that a particularly English or Dutch dish?

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Very nice. Remember, roasts are your friend! with not a lot of work, they'll produce a wonderful meal for you every time.

What will you choose for your next roast adventure?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Oh, wow! Good for you! I'm in about the same boat; the largest meat I've ever cooked is a two-pound tenderloin, and I have the same goals as you do. You've given me courage! Good job!

Thank you for reminding me of the lettuce/peas/mint dish. I just found the sticky note where I wrote that down one day while watching the "Two Fat Ladies." I had never heard of that before. Is that a particularly English or Dutch dish?

Boy, that's been a while ago...I had forgotten about it. For about a year, that was my number one "company veggie" dish. It's delicious.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Well, there is petits pois a la francaise but the recipes I have seen, have more peas than lettuce where as I like it with more lettuce than peas.

I was reminded of it because someone in the Fresh Pasta thread mentioned peas and lettuce as a stuffing for ravioli. Ideally, I think, it should be buttery Cobb lettuce and fresh peas... but my little gems and frozen peas were great all the same.

ofcourse, victory leads to new questions.

What's the best thing to do with left over, cold roast lamb?

Make Larb!

It's also good in hash browns, crisped up a bit on salads, or just plain eaten cold standing in front of the open fridge door.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I don't cook lamb often but when we did one time, we made a Middle Eastern "taco" for a refreshing sandwich the next day. Spread the inside of a pita bread liberally with hummus. Stuff it with shredded lamb, add some thinly sliced cucumber, chiffonade of mint, add whatever kind of yogurt sauce you like. Of course, you can add other things as well. For a go-with I fried up some small falafel. I made them thin to get the maximum crispies. Some folks stuffed them in there also. (I had the yogurt sauce and hummus left over from the dinner of the day before.)

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

A leftover lamb roast is also good in the following way, provided you have leftover gravy as well:

Brown some chopped garlic in EVOO,

Toss chunks of the lamb in the garlic and oil,

Coat with some gravy, careful not to let the gravy burn,

Slop on plate, eat with more peas and bread to mop.

I find this very comforting the winter.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Well, there is petits pois a la francaise but the recipes I have seen, have more peas than lettuce where as I like it with more lettuce than peas.

I was reminded of it because someone in the Fresh Pasta thread mentioned peas and lettuce as a stuffing for ravioli. Ideally, I think, it should be buttery Cobb lettuce and fresh peas... but my little gems and frozen peas were great all the same.

I'm salivating. Either of you interested in posting a recipe/general directions for this salad? I have a New Year's resolution to eat more vegetables... and the carrot and celery sticks are just not cutting it. :blink:

ofcourse, victory leads to new questions.

What's the best thing to do with left over, cold roast lamb?

Sandwiches!! With good mustard, peasprouts & the best bread you can find - or just cut bits off & nibble. But then, I love cold roast lamb too much to do anything more to it than just eat it.

Edited by Viola da gamba (log)

Here you go on the peas. But I have to agree with Chufi. I think I will increase the lettuce ratio. I have a nice little butterhead awaiting its fate.

So, Chufi. What is next on the menu? If you eat pork, you might want to try something like this pork loin. It has become a family favorite. In fact, it was voted in for Christmas dinner that I did at my son's house this season. This is yet another opportunity for that meat thermometer to shine. I mess around with the roasting time and temperature a lot, depending upon the oven and my mood. But, as long as I stick with pulling it out for a long rest when its insides reach 140 F, all is well with the world.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"