• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hard Dry Balls of Yeast? [pic included]

I was told this is some type of yeast... :unsure:

Most likely used in Vietnamese, Cambodian, etc cuisine and probably with some form of glutinous rice for desserts.

Never seen them before but willing to use them if someone can steer me in the right direction by way of recipes, etc. :raz:

Any and all insight would be appreciated. :huh: Is there an English name for these? And how is this pronounced in native languages? TIA.

yeast7fw.jpg

Edited by mudbug (log)

This is the yeast we use to make tapai pulut : fermented sweet (glutinous) rice. It was discussed in the Kuih/Kueh thread here. I'll try to look up some more uses for the yeast for you.

Indonesian: ragi

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti

We use them to make glutinous rice wine, which I'm guessing is the close to making fermented rice, but maybe you let it go longer and add more liquid. I think it's pretty Chinese too, not just SE Asian. We buy ours at an medicinal herb store.

regards,

trillium

Thank you for the replies so far... looking forward to your findings spaghetttti.

trillium,

Have recipes for the glutinous rice wine? How would this be used differently than regular rice wine?

Shiewie,

Thanks for the Cantonese pronounciation! I'm wondering if it's used to make Bok Tong Go? :unsure:

art1b.jpg

Hi mudbug!

I absolutely adore Bok Tong Go, mmmm one of my all time favorites! I found a recipe for tape singkong (cassava) that may be of interest to you.

Tape Ketan and Singkong

Here's another: Tape Singkong

Edited by spaghetttti (log)

Yetty CintaS

I am spaghetttti