• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2002

Priscilla

J Acord -- When you have a chance, could you discuss whether the fish sauce might have been garum, traditionally prepared?  :shock:

Nah, I really couldn't be bothered with fermenting all those fish guts (I didn't want every cat in the neighbourhood hanging around outside the house) so I just used ca com or thai fish sauce instead.

Sorry to disappoint :sad:

Conchiglie pasta salad with Sicilian black olives, congo peas, and fava beans with shavings of parmigiano; slaw of savoy cabbage and wilted white onion; microgreen salad with roasted mushroom vinaigrette; plum tomato halves filled with ricotta cheese; tomato water with cucumber confetti.

It's hot hot hot.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Grilled freshly made merguez (bought at my favorite middle eastern store - Oriental Grocery on Atlantic Ave.)

rice

fatoosh salad (lots left over, made gazpacho this morning)

humus, baba, olives, pickles

peach sorbet

perfect summer meal

Spent the weekend decorating (ie tired, covered in paint, irritable, with nowhere to sit down or put a plate) so kept everything REALLY simple:

Saturday: linguine with wild mushroom ragu (one of my rainy day sauces from the freezer), ricotta and a zap of sambal olek

Sunday: scrambled eggs with Spanish chorizo and chopped fresh coriander on toast

Exhausted and slightly sun-charred, I wanted a very fast, light supper last night. Some little escalopes of beef from the supermarket, seasoned and seared quickly in butter. Deglazed the pan with a shot of calvados. Glugged in a little heavy cream. It bubbled almost immediately down to a perfect consistency for a sauce. Swept in a few peppercorns. Escalopes de boeuf au poivre in less than ten minutes.

Miss J, ricotta and sambal is great! I've done in a salad of shaved peppers and onion.

edit:

Nina, fatoosh is a panzanella, right? What did you do with it in terms of the gazpacho? Just together with?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Lavash with assorted dippy things (baba ghanouj, fava bean/goat cheese, harissa cream)

Grilled butterflied leg of lamb

Heirloom tomatoes of various sizes and colors

Roasted Yukon Gold and Red Norland chunks

Sugar snaps with gomasio (where has this marvel been all my life??)

Chocolate cake

Mixed berries tossed with raspberry coulis

Miss J, ricotta and sambal is great! I've done in a salad of shaved peppers and onion.

edit:

Nina, fatoosh is a panzanella, right? What did you do with it in terms of the gazpacho? Just together with?

Fatoosh is indeed a bread salad. , but it's mostly vegetables. I just threw the whole thing in the food processor, added some more veggies - onion, garlic - and vinegar, some hot sauce, some olive oil, and whooosh.

Nina, I see. Whooshing is great, isn't it?

CathyL, gomasio is splendid. I eat spoonfuls of it while it's still hot.

Sunday: Broiled spicy Italian sausages, w/roasted sliced potatoes, red/yellow/orange bell peppers, Italian frying peppers, grape tomatoes, red onions. Drizzle of EVOO. Splash of raspberry vinegar. Lots of bread to soak up the juices. Nectarine sorbet that a friend brought over. Perrier.

SA

Beyond splendid - so did I.

Making it was a very pleasant experience as well. The aroma, the color, the sound and feel of the little seeds crunching under the pestle...

Jinmyo, may I ask what proportion of sesame to salt you favor? And what kind of salt do you use?

CathyL, about 6 to 1 or less. Easy to add a bit more salt, hard to take it out. I usually use just kosher sea salt. Sometimes something like Brittany black salt or Hawaiin red just for the visual and textural effect with certain dishes.

CathyL, one last thing: Always hand grind with a surabachi or at least a mortar and pestle.

I make about 6-8 cups of gomasio at a time, every few weeks, and keep it refrigerated until the new batch.

CathyL, one last thing: Always hand grind with a surabachi or at least a mortar and pestle.

I make about 6-8 cups of gomasio at a time, every few weeks, and keep it refrigerated until the new batch.

Yes, I used a marble mortar (motor & pistol, a friend used to say) but thought a suribachi would have been even better. I grind enough spices to make owning one worthwhile.

I appreciate the advice, Jinmyo. :biggrin:

CathyL, always welcome. And to disregard entirely as mad ravings as well.

Adam, you reminded me of some duck breasts in the freezer. Tomorrow with slices of huagu (flower mushroom) I think. Thanks as always.

venison hamburgers with homemade basil mayo, romaine lettuce, yellow tomatoes fresh from the garden, on wheat buns

homemade fries and ice-cold sapporo silver reserve

There's a yummy in my tummy.

Adam, huagu is I suppose a kind of shitake or as the Chinese would have it, "black mushroom". Crackled in white on the brown or grey surface, about as big as my hand, some just from wrist to first knuckle. These are dried, brought by an accomplice from Kunming, I believe.

And you both have reminded me that there is the dregs of a chocolate sorbet in my freezer, which, while successful in its time is now certainly beyond stale and which I will chuck, forthwith. Thanks as always.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Adam, huagu is I suppose a kind of shitake or as the Chinese would have it, "black mushroom". Crackled in white on the brown or grey surface, about as big as my hand, some just from wrist to first knuckle. These are dried, brought by an accomplice from Kunming, I believe.

As big as you hand? Do you have a micro-hand or are these big mushrooms? The largest shiitake I have seen are about two-three inches in diameter. Are these a special type?

Nina, I see. Whooshing is great, isn't it?

What exactly is gomasio??? Is it some kind of sesame and salt paste?? What do you use it for?? I'm very interested in knowing.

Thanks

FM

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog