• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Supermarket Generic Products in NJ

jhlurie

This is kind of a spinoff of this topic in the General forum.

A while into that topic it occured to me that while discussion of private store labels and "house" generic brands is indeed a "national" topic, that's it's pretty difficult to discuss SPECIFIC items in General, because each region of readers has different supermarket franchises locally.

So while I think we can leave discussions about nationwide chains like Walmart, Target and Whole Foods there, as well as the larger issues about house brands, I think we can use THIS thread to be specific to our region, and even more to specific deals. As in... local store X has generic item Y, which costs Z, and is as good or better than national brand Q.

For example, lately I've been buying Pathmark's Natural Peanut Butter. It's in a glass jar, a $1.99 for 16 ounces (verus a minimum of $2.89 for the cheapest national brand, and considerably more for some others). There are two ingredients: Peanuts, Salt. Not much for them to screw up.

Anyone else have SPECIFIC generic items in our local chains they love?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Anyone else have SPECIFIC generic items in our local chains they love?

Well, I'm not a Jerseyite, but since "New Jersey" is the intersection of the set "Philadelphia" and the set "New York" :smile: and most of the chains in the state--Foodtown excepted--can be found in one or the other city, if not both (Pathmark), I suspect that some other neighbors might weigh in.

My prime candidate is America's Choice soy sauce (at A&P stores in North Jersey and Super Fresh in South Jersey). Its ingredients list compares favorably with Kikkoman's--water, soybeans, wheat, salt--and it's about 1/3 lower in price.

Others if I think of them.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

The ShopRite brands of fake breakfast cereals cost almost exactly half as much as the name-brand equivalents and taste almost exactly the same. The Cheerios knockoff -- ShopRite Toasted Oats -- is, to me, indistinguishable from the General Mills product. I also like that ShopRite uses the word "scrunchy" in so many of its cereal product names, e.g., ShopRite Scrunchy Cocoa Meteors.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I used to like those ShopRite cereals until I had to go on a low-salt low-sugar diet. Now it's no-sugar-added Alpen or Familia. Have yet to find a generic equivalent.

I used to like the SR peanut butter too, but they don't offer a no-salt version.

SRTP works pretty well tho.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

WF's store brand salsa (medium) is my 'house' salsa. And every time I serve it, someone comments that it's great! LOVE their (fresh) black bean dip too, 'tho it seems to be a seasonal item.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

WF's store brand salsa (medium) is my 'house' salsa.  And every time I serve it, someone comments that it's great!  LOVE their (fresh) black bean dip too, 'tho it seems to be a seasonal item.

You just reminded me of their excellent Low fat and regular Guacamole..

Shoprite's medium salsa for me. I bought it for work to try out a burrito on the menu and it tastes just like old el paso to me

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Shoprite's medium salsa for me. I bought it for work to try out a burrito on the menu and it tastes just like old el paso to me

T

:raz: Is that a good thing to taste like? :biggrin:

Well, either way it DOES meet the provisions of this topic--meeting or exceeding the standards of a national brand.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

While it's not a food market chain, I find Costco's Kirkland brands excellent. I really love their Balsamic vinegar well worth the price for the quality!

Ambiance CAN be as important as the food!

Pathmark clear plastic bottled water - $1.19

Poland Springs clear - $1.59

Pathmark is superior. Poland Springs has a odd kind of sweetness to it.

SR bacon is good - as far as supermarket bacon goes

SR sour cream is excellent, although there's almost always another brand on sale that's cheaper. Axelrod's is my favorite (thick). Friendship is way too soupy these days.

When I was eating regular ketchup, SR ketchup wasn't bad - not as good as Heinz, but good for the price.

SR Monterey Jack/NY State Extra Sharp Cheddar - excellent

How about Trader Joes? Is Trader Joes a local chain?

SR Monterey Jack/NY State Extra Sharp Cheddar - excellent

How about Trader Joes? Is Trader Joes a local chain?

Oh, also forgot to mention that America's Choice New York Extra Sharp Cheddar is also very good quality--better than anything Kraft produces (which isn't saying much cheese-wise) and the equal of the best widely-distributed New York State cheddar (IMO), Heluva Good.

For those of you in South Jersey: I definitely prefer it to Acme's New York State Cheddar, but will buy the Acme product when it's on sale. (I live just a bit too far away from the nearest ShopRite to go there much.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Unless you have hygiene concerns (I suppose it's a bit hard to know how often, and by whom, those machines are cleaned).

As with any food choice, there's always a threat of contamination. As far as supermarkets go, though, Whole Foods runs a fairly clean ship. Also, the peanut butter machine isn't like the bulk food bins where people can (and do) reach in with their hands. I won't do salad bars (even with screens) but DIY peanut butter - that I'll do.

I don't know if Trader Joe's qualifies for this topic, but certainly 90% of the items sold in TJ's are house label, and a very high percentage of those are terrific products, as good as or better than their brand equivalents. (And much cheaper). But perhaps TJ's is in a league of its own on this matter...

• 2 weeks later...

Spotted today:

Pathmark Cocoa Crunchies ARE Cocoa Puffs down to the last ingredient as far as I can tell and come in a HUGE 32 ounce bag for about three and a half bucks. I'm not sure of Cocoa Puffs exact current price, but I think it's approximately the same price for half that amount.

Someone above mentioned America's Choice New York Extra Sharp Cheddar. Today I got the Pathmark equivalent and it also seems superior to Kraft, at the very least, and far cheaper.

I look at other recent generic items I've bought--saltines, long-grain white rice, even bread and I wonder why national brands get away with higher prices anyway--at least with simple items like these. Are saltines from a major manufacturer really going to be any better? Will MOST non-premium rice be better?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Someone above mentioned America's Choice New York Extra Sharp Cheddar.  Today I got the Pathmark equivalent and it also seems superior to Kraft, at the very least, and far cheaper.

MarketStEl was the member that mentioned the A&P Cheddar. I agree with both of you. I've had Pathmark, America's Choice, Shop Rite and Stop & Shop New York extra sharp cheddar, and, as far as I can tell, they're all exactly the same, and... all excellent cheese - better than Kraft. Obviously for more money there's better cheeses out there (I like Dubliner from TJs/Farmhouse Cheddar from Whole Foods), but as far as it's price range, it's in a class by itself.