• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Where to proof in a pilot-less world?

slbunge

In our first house we had a great range from the early 50s with a pilot light that kept the interior a pleasant 80-ish degrees in the winter. Not the most efficient thing in the world but a fantastic place to proof doughs.

Fast forward to a rented condo in Boston with a pilot-less oven, a cold blue-sky day after a snow storm, and a bit of a chill. I need to get some sourdough starter active for loaves of bread this week and am looking for a nice, warm spot.

Some ideas: On top of the clothes dryer which will be used for a load of laundry in a bit. If I could prop the bowl above the baseboards I'd be in business. Perhaps the top of my computer, though it doesn't feel that warm. On top of the water heater?

Anyone else in this same predicament? Any other bright ideas?

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

put a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup (or larger, or another microwavable vessel) full of water in the micro, and heat until boiling. stick the starter in there (leave the steamy warm water in there, if there's room--otherwise just shut the door quick to trap as much warmth and steam as you can)...instant, ersatz, improvised proofer.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

A few suggestions:

Place the bowl on top of your refrigerator; always a warm spot.

Place the bowl under an electric blanket.

Place the bowl on a heating pad set to "Low," cover.

Set your oven to its lowest setting for no more than a minute or two, just long enough for it to start heating and get to above room temperature. Turn off the heat. Place a cup of boiling water in the oven, and your bowl of dough.

In the case of some electric ovens, the oven light is a satisfactory substitute for a pilot.

When your load of laundry comes out of the dryer, place your dough inside and close the door.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

If you're going to be making a good bit of bread over time, try this:

Get a cheap ice chest (either styrofoam or plastic). Lay the chest on its side. Put a 25w or 40w bulb on a clamp socket and put that into the chest. If you have a probe or instant read thermometer, put that in there too. Open, or remove, the lid and use cloth towels drapped over the top and down the front to regulate the heat inside. With practice you should be able to control the warmth within +/- 5 degrees over a range of 75-120 degrees. When you don't need this "mightywonder proofer" just pack it up and store it.

Cheers,

Steve Smith

Glacier Country

Actually, I have stuck it atop the water heater and the temp seems about perfect (just shy of 90 degF). Water heater and boiler are located in a 'closet' with easy access. It is so nice and toasty in there, I should try to figure out how to get my desk in there.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

I made Nancy Silverton's sourdough starter a few months ago and haven't had a bit of problem with the rise process. I take it out of the frig two days prior to baking my bread and start the feeding. The following day I make the dough and let it rise in the oven with just the lights on. I let it rise for an hour and then stretch and fold it on the hour for about 3 to 4 times. Total rise time about 5 hours. I then shape and put the dough in banneton's and put them in the frig overnite. Next day I pull them out of the frig 2 to 4 hours before I want to bake my bread and walla the best bread I ever baked. By the way this sites bakers helped me out in the way to bake bread when you want to, and not when the dough wants you to.

Polack

On my stove, the back left burner vents heat from the stove. If I set the stove to 170F, its lowest setting, and set a pan over the back left burner, the surface of the pan is maintained at 86F. If I set a covered bowl with my dough on top of the pan, it maintains an 80-ish temp inside the bowl. This method is probably not the most energy-efficient one, but it has worked for me.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

put a 2 cup pyrex measuring cup (or larger, or another microwavable vessel) full of water in the micro, and heat until boiling. stick the starter in there (leave the steamy warm water in there, if there's room--otherwise just shut the door quick to trap as much warmth and steam as you can)...instant, ersatz, improvised proofer.

I tried this yesterday and it worked beautifully... thank you, chezcherie! The only change I found I needed to make was to re-boil the water after one hours' time.

At the time, I happened to be using a Panettone recipe in Sherry Yard's The Secrets of Baking... and ran across her interesting suggestion to "run your dishwasher without detergent, turning it into a steam cabinet. Place the bowl or pans of dough inside the machine on the bottom after the rinse cycle has completed. This is the express (and energy-inefficient) way of proofing."

Di