• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's a good wine to give?

yushoe

In midst of the holiday season, I'm sure many of you bring wine as a gift to dinner parties. I'm going over to my boyfriend's house for dinner for the first time next week and would like to bring a bottle of wine. The problem is, I have never purchased a bottle of wine in my life...

I'm hoping for something versatile, relatively inexpensive and not neccesarily to be served at dinner (which will most likely be Korean food). Also something I would be able to find at a local liquor store.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

In midst of the holiday season, I'm sure many of you bring wine as a gift to dinner parties. I'm going over to my boyfriend's house for dinner for the first time next week and would like to bring a bottle of wine. The problem is, I have never purchased a bottle of wine in my life...

I'm hoping for something versatile, relatively inexpensive and not neccesarily to be served at dinner (which will most likely be Korean food).  Also something I would be able to find at a local liquor store.

One can never go wrong with Champagne! :laugh::laugh::biggrin::biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

I'm hoping for something versatile, relatively inexpensive and not neccesarily to be served at dinner (which will most likely be Korean food).  Also something I would be able to find at a local liquor store.

I can't recommend a specific wine. My suggestion is to go to a wine shop/liquor store with a knowledgeable staff and ask for their assistance. If you don't have a favorite local retailer, ask your friends to recommend a shoppe. Any store worth frequenting should be able to give you many suggestions. If they don't ask you questions about your price point, what kinds of wine your friend has liked in the past, what type of food does your friend like, etc., then go someplace else.

Bill

"I'm trying to think but nothing happens"

Smoking Loon, Covey Run, Pepperwod Grove, Aquinas-all good West Coast wines and inexpensive-try to stay away from Yellow Tail-it's really not that good. Also, the Gallo import Red Bicyclette(sp), is OK-should be everywhere. All under $10. A bottle of Cordoniu Cava is also nice-sparkling goes with spicy food, and also great before you eat-about $10. Enjoy!

Edited by Miami Danny (log)

How about a Late Bottle Vintage Port, for after dinner? Goes especially well with anything chocolate, or when sitting around a fireplace! Graham and Dow's are two good brands.

I know a man who gave up smoking, drinking, sex, and rich food. He was healthy right up to the day he killed himself. - Johnny Carson

Yushoe:

Korean food is spicy and heavy on the garlic, it really depends what exactly you are eating and you will need a wine to stand up to that. If its a meat meal -- as in red meat, like bulgogi or kalbi, I would go with a red wine, perhaps a Pinot Noir (domestic or imported) or a Burgundy. Sangiovese is another good red wine varietal that stands up to meat as does Primitivo and Barbera. Beaujelais Nouveau might not be bad either because its the time of year for it.

If its a seafood/fish/poultry/pork meal I would go with a white like a Riesling Kabinnett (Dry) or a wine from the Alsace region of France such as Gewurztraminer or Pinot Gris. These are all high acid wines that will stand up to garlicy spicy food.

I also agree that sparkling wines are nice things to bring over, but they work best as a before-dinner starter and not an accompaniment to Asian cuisine, the rare exception being Sushi or a light cuisine like Vietnamese salads and stuff. They also go well with fried food so if you have a fried appetizer of some sort, that will work.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Since you are on the east coast, you can get European wines cheaper than I can, out here in California.

One wine I've had that really stood up to spicy foods is the Austrian Gruner Veltliner. It's a white wine, very minerally and flavorful (generally), and by golly, it's got a spine.

I've had several different labels, so can't guess what you will have available to you locally, but ask at your wine shop.

• 3 weeks later...

So what did you choose? Did they like it?

If I had seen this earlier, I would have suggested a Gewurtz or Pinot Gris - preferrably from Navarro Vineyards in the Anderson Valley. Perfect with the spicy flavors. Unreal bargains, too.

Though going with Sparkling would have been the more festive choice.