• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long will a Buche de Noel keep?

Suzi Edwards

Hi there,

A friend of mine was kind enough to bring me back a Buche de Noel from Pierre Herme but forgot to ask how long it will keep for. It was purchased on Saturday...any ideas?

I'd ask about the macaroons as well but I doubt they'll last beyond lunchtime :-)

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Keep it in the fridge below 38°F. and it should last at least 2 weeks....

In my experience one should be careful with Pierre Hermé products, they don't keep well. I know of some people who had to take back to the shop the macarons they had bought the evening before (and brave a totally incredulous greeting).

My personal advice is that you should eat this bûche right away (as a pre-Christmas treat) and get another bûche for the real Christmas. After all, it's only a bûche. It's not sacred.

tarka had posted some more details on my blog. We're talking about a Pierre Herme Plenitude buche de noel - all chocolate - no fresh fruit or rose petals. They say it will hold well for about 48 hours. I say keep it in the box - in the bottom back part of your fridge - where it's coldest. Take it out - out of the box, onto a plate - at least one hour before serving. For macarons, do the same.

Well despite being past its best the Buche Plenitude was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. I had it as my birthday cake yesterday and I'm currently more popular than I have ever been in the office.

Suzi Edwards aka "Tarka"

"the only thing larger than her bum is her ego"

Blogito ergo sum

Well despite being past its best the Buche Plenitude was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten. I had it as my birthday cake yesterday and I'm currently more popular than I have ever been in the office.

Happy Birthday dear Suzi - :smile:

We very much enjoyed our buche de Noel on Christmas eve, and discussed going back to get another. This year with the family it was a cream bouche with mangoes at the bottom. Unfortunately after Christmas there's nothing left, and they just don't make more after Christmas, even if you ask. The bouche at Mamy's at Christmas dinner which was all chocolate, very rich with a croustillant base, but I doubt it came anywhere close to the one you had. :rolleyes:

For the decorations on top, did your bouche include the meringue mushrooms, the axe, and the trees, or have they done away with that on the Hermes bouches? We had several different decorations, including white chocolate balls which contained scenes and looked like they'd been smashed open by the axe, a kind of gnomey looking santa, a fence, an evergreen, and of course the meringue mushrooms.

Holiday greetings to all.