• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Party Mix - The Cereal Stuff

fifi

One of the Thai restaurants in Lancaster makes it for the holiday season and puts a little dish on the table for snacking.

They make it with the fermented fish sauce and some kind of hot sauce.

It has quite a kick. Not to my taste but a lot of their patrons seem to like it.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Except for the Maggi, it sounds like a nice Southwestern/Tex-Mex Mix.

Ah . . . But Maggi is a very common condiment in Mexico. A bottle of it is a regular resident of the tables in small cafes.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

The recipe for "Muddy Buddies®" is here.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

All the chex cearal varieties

planter's mixed nuts

butter

brown sugar

maldon sea salt

roughly chopped fresh rosemary

cayenne pepper

we go a bit insane when we eat this. CANNOT leave any for the next day, we eat until its gone and our stomachs are about to burst. fingers, tongues and roofs of mouths are burned because we can't wait for it to cool. too damn addictive.

When I make trail mix, I must have Sesame Sticks. It's my favorite ingredient. I wonder how it would work in the party mix.

Damn, I can't ever leave this site without an envie for something good to munch on.

Dear Food: I hate myself for loving you.

Despite my usual abhorrence of processed foods I find Chex Mix to be one of the most addictive foods on the planet. I like to stick to the classics. To me this means Corn Chex, Rice Chex, Wheat Chex, pretzel sticks, Cheerios, and Planters Mixed nuts. Mixed with oil, Worcester, Lawry's Seasoning Salt, garlic and onion powders. Of course, the proper ratio is 1 large box of each cereal to 1 big bag of pretzels to 2 cans of nuts. Baked in a couple of paper grocery bags in the oven, shaken and turned every 15 minutes. Unlike others on this thread, I think that the Wheat Chex and Cheerios are the most valuable of the mix, because they soak up so much of the oil and seasonings and can blacken in the 250* oven.

You could win $50,000.00 if you follow the direction in this sweepstakes entry.

Chex & Lea & Perrins Party Mix Sweepstakes

at this site.

The contest runs until 10/31/05.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I just noticed a TV commercial on this stuff. It is shot to simulate an old home movie from way back, 50s or 60s maybe. They made one big mistake that just jumped out at me. The "mom" is stirring the stuff with a red silicone spatula, that didn't exist back then. It just struck me as funny that they worked very hard to make the ad look like a period piece and then they made that kind of boo-boo.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

Ha! I noticed that too the other day, fifi! :blink::laugh: What were they thinking? Must be an "Adman" (no gender bias here) that's younger than you and me. :raz:

And Patti, I like the sesame sticks too, could be very good in this -- much better than pretzels for me! Be really nice with a curry/garlic/soy/worsterchesire sauce combo with cashews I bet.

I also like to toss with Kosher salt at the end as it comes out of the oven instead of salting the whole mix. Gives little bursts of salt throughout.

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite