• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tony Luke's Old Philly Style Sandwiches

herbacidal

According to Andrea Strong's email newsletter, a friend/business partner/protege of Tony Luke's in Philadelphia is going to open a branch on 9th between 41st and 42nd December 8th.

Me hopes the migration will of roast pork, chicken cutlet, and cheesesteaks will be better than what BB's and that midtown place have been for cheesesteaks.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

Hmm... I just hunted down the Tony Luke's webpage (which strangely enough, was at http://www.tonylukes.com/) and they mention it on their front page too.

I never made it out to TL's - I'd always get distracted by something shinier and easier for me to get to. (ooo, Dinic's!). Are the sandwiches any good? Though really, after a year away, I think I'd go into a victorian swoon if I smelled actual cheesesteak.

Tony Luke sandwiches are indeed excellent. But the last time they tried to expand - to Center City Philadelphia - it was less than a success. Ambience was way too bland to be a "Tony Lukes."

As good as Tony Luke's food is, what really makes the place are the people behind the counter, the building, the location way deep in South Philly, and, especially, the clientele. That just doesn't translate to a midtown Manhattan store front.

If New Yorkers merely want a great cheesesteak or pork sandwich, they will get it. But if they are looking for the Tony Luke's experience they will have to go to Oregon Ave. in South Philly.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Tony Luke sandwiches are indeed excellent.  But the last time they tried to expand - to Center City Philadelphia - it was less than a success.  Ambience was way too bland to be a "Tony Lukes." 

I guess Tony sold the 18th St. store?

I note the web site explicitly denies any connection to what is now called "Tony Jr.'s" on 18th Street.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

I guess Tony sold the 18th St. store?

I note the web site explicitly denies any connection to what is now called "Tony Jr.'s" on 18th Street.

Yes Tony Lukes is no longer associated with the store now know as Tony Jr's

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...

Holly

You might be able to answer this question since we are talking about Tony Lukes, although this might end up in the Philly thread. I noticed alot of changes at the Philly Tony Lukes, some construction, new menu, new staff, and some old staff gone. I also noticed on the sign and take out menu

"Owned and Operated by the LUCIDONIO FAMILY"

Is that new owners, I can't recall if that was Tony Luke's last name but i dont think it is. If there was a change in ownership, quality has remained the same.

• 5 weeks later...

I am eating the Roast Pork Italian as we speak. Having not been to the Philly location, I can't judge against it -- but this sandwich is very, very f-ing good.

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

I tried the cheesesteak hoagie with sharp provolone and it was just as good as the original Tony Luke's. According to the man behind the counter all of the ingredients are brought in from Philadelphia.

The New York franchise is, however, much cleaner and better looking. No marble topped counters at the Oregon ave. stand.

I will have to try Carl's now and see if Tony Luke's is the best cheesesteak in NY.

If New Yorkers merely want a great cheesesteak or pork sandwich, they will get it. But if they are looking for the Tony Luke's experience they will have to go to Oregon Ave. in South Philly.

whimsity

I am sure that, given the proximity to the bus station, "Tony Luke's NY" will develop its own special character.

I tried the cheesesteak hoagie with sharp provolone and it was just as good as the original Tony Luke's.  According to the man behind the counter all of the ingredients are brought in from Philadelphia.

The New York franchise is, however, much cleaner and better looking.  No marble topped counters at the Oregon ave. stand.

I will have to try Carl's now and see if Tony Luke's is the best cheesesteak in NY.

whimsity

I am sure that, given the proximity to the bus station, "Tony Luke's NY" will develop its own special character.

Marble topped counters wouldn't be appropriate at the One-and-Only-Original-Tony-Luke's. In fact I suspect the clientele would be amused by any such attempts to "gentrify" the place. Holly is definitely correct about the ambiance being very distinctly South Philly and that can't be transplanted. If you ever want to amuse yourself you can shout out "Ant-ny" or "Joe-ey" at the Oregon Avenue Tony Luke's and see at least half of the guys in there turn around. :biggrin:

If everything in the shop is indeed being brought in from Philly (most importantly the bread), then there's no doubt it's the best cheesesteak in New York. It would be by definition. I don't think you even have to bother with comparisons.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 4 months later...

Has anyone been to the TOny Luke's in NYC - if so how is it? Also does anyone have any pictures or links of the sandwiches from this place - I want to compare to the photos from Philly Lukes! THanks!

Marble topped counters wouldn't be appropriate at the One-and-Only-Original-Tony-Luke's.  In fact I suspect the clientele would be amused by any such attempts to "gentrify" the place.  Holly is definitely correct about the ambiance being very distinctly South Philly and that can't be transplanted.  If you ever want to amuse yourself you can shout out "Ant-ny" or "Joe-ey" at the Oregon Avenue Tony Luke's and see at least half of the guys in there turn around. :biggrin:

Yo, Kay-TEE!

You must take me on the Cheesesteak Tour when I manage to haul my carcass out to Philly. I've been known to walk seven or eight miles a day while traveling, so we can hit all the fine joints without me ballooning into Junior Samples-size pants.

And I definitely want to visit Chickie's for the veggie sub with "(A)ged provolone that smells like feet." :laugh:

There are two sides to every story and one side to a Möbius band.

borschtbelt.blogspot.com

• 3 weeks later...

Made it out to Tony Lukes in NYC and it was excellent - I have never been to the one in Philly (I have to make it out there) so I can not compare the two.

We got the chicken parm hero with sharp provolone and extra gravy. What an amazing sandwich, just packed with flavor, and might I add it is quite filling. Next, we got a cheesesteak with wiz and onions. Very good sandwich and has the potential to be a great sandwich, next time we'll get the onions fried and have a little extra wiz.

Overall, an excellent place - will be back numerous times!

Made it out to Tony Lukes in NYC and it was excellent - I have never been to the one in Philly (I have to make it out there) so I can not compare the two.

We got the chicken parm hero with sharp provolone and extra gravy.  What an amazing sandwich, just packed with flavor, and might I add it is quite filling.  Next, we got a cheesesteak with wiz and onions.  Very good sandwich and has the potential to be a great sandwich, next time we'll get the onions fried and have a little extra wiz.

Overall, an excellent place - will be back numerous times!

You didn't get a Roast Pork Italiano with Greens and Provolone???!!!??? :shock:

You still haven't had the best sandwich there...

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

As good as Tony Luke's food is, what really makes the place are the people behind the counter, the building, the location way deep in South Philly, and, especially, the clientele.  That just doesn't translate to a midtown Manhattan store front.

interesting point. i finally managed to get to the 9th ave location today and ordered a "provolone wit". the lady behind the counter gave me a blank stare so naturally i clarified my order. a damned fine sandwich to be sure, but yeah, something was missing on the personnel front.

After looking at the website for Tony Lukes, it appears that they also have breakfast sandwiches, can anyone comment on how they are - what did you get?

As good as Tony Luke's food is, what really makes the place are the people behind the counter, the building, the location way deep in South Philly, and, especially, the clientele.  That just doesn't translate to a midtown Manhattan store front.

interesting point. i finally managed to get to the 9th ave location today and ordered a "provolone wit". the lady behind the counter gave me a blank stare so naturally i clarified my order. a damned fine sandwich to be sure, but yeah, something was missing on the personnel front.

After looking at the website for Tony Lukes, it appears that they also have breakfast sandwiches, can anyone comment on how they are - what did you get?

[

Roast pork isn't breakfast food?? :raz:

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

i could justify eating roast pork for dinner, but what i was referring to are the egg and cheese sandwiches with steak - anyone hwave one - how are they???

[

Roast pork isn't breakfast food?? :raz:

• 1 month later...

Went to Tony Luke's today.. I was very disappointed with my Roast Pork sandwich.. The pork was no where near as good as the one in Philly.. It was sliced really thin and just thrown on, was no where as sweet and flavorful as Phillies.... The roll wasnt as good either.. It was too toasted, maybe it was because of the over toasting, but i think they are using a different roll. The brocoli rabe was way too garlicy and completely drowned out the sweetness of the pork.. The cheese was a good sharp provolone... All in all it was just an average sandwich.. No where near what I was expecting.. Would i go back.. Yes.. If I wasnt expecting the standards from the Philly branch It would have been better.

gallery_15057_1519_27013.jpg

Edit to add: The place itself is inside what looks like a former garage.. Inside there are very few stools lined up along a thin counter thats flanking the small box of a place.. The staff was completely with out character or interest in being there..

Edited by Daniel (log)