• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Ft. Lauderdale/Boca dining

Rosie

There is a great seafood restaurant in Ft Lauderdale.  Check out their website.

http://www.sunfishgrill.com/

I ate there a few days ago and loved it.  Excellent quality, service and good value.  Entrees range from $24 to $32 and include two sides - starch & vegie or two vegies.  I got a side of sauteed swiss chard and a side of asparagus.  They were delicious and they did not charge xtra.  They also offer a mixed green salad for $7 extra with an entree.  It sounds high, but he salad was the best mixed greens, awesomely fresh - no slimey lettuce strands, and the size was huge - definitely enough to share.  Warning the focacia basket that comes before the meal is addicting and will ruin your appetite.  I had to take over half of my entree home because I ate too many of the focacia slices!  ...and they kept refilling it!  I know I could have said no thank you, but they don't ask, they just refill - fresh from the oven too!  Yum!  I want to go back and try the desserts which looked fabulous.  The lady next to us was moaning with each bite she took of her egg nog creme brulee.  Then she tasted her husbands apple crisp and gasped with delight.  It was definitley a "When Harry Met Sally" moment!

Thanks Mike, I told Dave you might come over and chime in.

• 2 weeks later...

Again, may thanks to all of you who contributed information to help us with our stay in the area.

Thanks especially to CaliPoutine who has been a font of helpful knowledge.

Less than two weeks before we're off.

Any further thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
As someone stuck in Highland Beach due to a family issue, this thread is proving invaluable.

Thanks!

Do you mean Hallandale Beach?

Nope, Highland Beach, just north of Boca.

Anyone try Smitty's Meats in Fort Lauderdale for steak? I can only find Choice beef around here and would kill for a dry-aged prime sirloin.

• 2 weeks later...
Dave, I'm dying to hear where you ate.  Please spill!!

Cali & all others who tried to help here's my non-report.

We didn't go! A matter of two minor strokes on my part just before we were due to head out. They wouldn't let me fly. Fortunately, the strokes were minor and I'm OK except for a bit of fuzziness in one eye.

Our in-laws did go ahead & when they get back I'll find out if they used any of the good advice.

As for me its a strict diet and working on new menus that keep my weight & blood pressure down. (I'll be telling that tale on my new website/blog at www.frenchfoodfocus.com) No cheese & very little wine is going to be tough, but I guess its better than the alternative.

Here's my weight loss tip. (I've lost 12 pounds) Spend 5 days in a French hospital then travel to England and spend 5 days in an English hospital. You WILL lose weight.

• 3 weeks later...

We don't get up to Fort Lauderdale for dinner often, but we were meeting family this weekend and had a nice dinner at 3030 Ocean in the Marriott Harbor Beach. Chef Dean James Max was recently nominated for a regional James Beard Award, and the restaurant features lots of fresh seafood, produce and other artisanal products, with a focus on local purveyors. The menu when we visited had local red snapper, pompano, wahoo and cobia, as well as exotic items like wild striped bass, walu and monchong. Interesting preps, and many good non-seafood items like a great salad topped with thin slices of Benton's smoked ham. The setting is typical hotel dining but the food was anything but.

More info on our meal here.