• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

green veggies

amccomb

Broccoli or Zucchini with Browned Butter and Toasted Walnuts: Any vegetable with browned butter is special.

Green Beans with Celery and Green Onions: You can't imagine what these simple vegetables do to flavor each other. Blanch green beans and refrigerate up to 5 days ahead; just before serving, saute celery in butter, then add onions and toss, add beans and heat. Add a little more butter at end.

Artichoke Bottoms filled with a tomato-onion mixture. Another time when you're not concerned with cream, fill them with creamed spinach.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

• 2 weeks later...
In  Nigella Lawson's new cookbook, there's a recipe for brussels sprouts with pancetta, chestnuts, and parsley.  If that's not special, I don't know what is.  But then, I love brussels sprouts.

Well, if your're going to bring bacon into it for crying out loud. Thats cheating. :laugh:

Giada De Laurentiis did something similar on FoodTV:

"Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta"

And Emeril has his pork-related green veggie recipe:

"Roasted Asparagus with Tasso"

And if you can't find pancetta or Tasso, I am sure bacon :wub: can be substituted.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver