• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are you drinking New Year's, New Year's Eve?

Rosie

Egly-Ouriet Ambonnay Grand Cru

Bollinger

and whatever other bubbly comes my way...

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Not being a bubbly fan, I'm lining up some wine bottles. I have a half-case of 1989 Chateau Tracey (a white wine I have enjoyed for many years), a bottle of Pauillac (a recent birthday gift in a Fortnum&Mason wooden case which I haven't even opened yet) and a half-case of Lirac (another unopened gift). I've never even heard of Lirac, but I'm assured by the donor (whose judgement I trust) that I'll like the wine.

So that's 13 bottles so far, now I need to go look at my reserve stock in the garage :)

I expect to be drinking Brugal or Barcelo rum, served in quantity, over ice, in large paper cups, chased by chilled Presidente cerveza from the larger sized bottles.  I will be standing in a street in Santo Domingo, and with any luck will have lined my stomach with a couple of pounds of perniz (spelling?), a marinated, slow baked pork dish.