• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Distribution Needed

reesek

Many apologies if this has been asked in another thread - my searches were fruitless. <wince>

I had an Australian Shiraz (2001 Serafino) that I loved in BC last weekend. I've done some research, and it seems that the only US distributor is in NY (I'm in Seattle) The distribution rep told me he could send me some - but only if I was a "licensed establishment." It's legal to order/be shipped wine retail in Washington State - any idea why he wouldn't / couldn't sell to me directly?

I've asked my local wine shop if they would order/receive a case for me, but haven't heard back...Now I'm wondering if that was a rude/unusual request.

Does anyone have advice for this particular (or like) problem? What do you do when you read about a great wine, but find it's not available in your area?

many thanks!!

from overheard in new york:

Kid #1: Paper beats rock. BAM! Your rock is blowed up!

Kid #2: "Bam" doesn't blow up, "bam" makes it spicy. Now I got a SPICY ROCK! You can't defeat that!

--6 Train

Distributors are only licensed to sell to other people (stores/restaurants) with licenses, not to the general public.

Keep hounding on your local store to get it for you -- it is probably your only way if you haven't found it elsewhere on the 'net.