• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Digest: Twin Cities Food Media Round-Up

ronnie_suburban

Friday, March 10, 2006

From the Strib's Entertainment section:

A long overdue review of Peninsula. I know several people who have been and who have all loved it. They have some Thai dishes on the menu, as well, and reportedly they include some things that are not commonly found in the Twin Cities.

In Counter Intelligence, Blaine gets glam, and Udupi is back in business.

In Now Open, Margaux is now in downtown St. Paul.

Over in the Taste section:

Unbottled passion pours into wine -- a chat with "Mark Vlossak president of St. Innocent Winery, founded in 1988" while he was in Minneapolis.

An article on Lettuce Wraps, complete with links to recipes.

Lynn treats us to comfort food, and news about meat.

A review of a book -- The One-Dish Chicken cookbook. Hmmm. Better request this one from the library!

Over at the Pioneer Press's Reastaurant section:

Kathy Jenkins gives us a Dining Dictionary. Help for navigating menus and the terms that are unfamiliar to many.

In Small Bites, Kathy visits Matty B's.

Over in Restaurant New, sad news in deed that Duff's will no longer be selling dogs in St. Paul. Call it competition from a sub shop and a couple of steak places, but a good hot dog is indeed a worthy lunch. And neat to eat while walking around (weather is beautiful today!).

In Citypages, Dara is back, with a review of Salut in Edina. Her review is consistent with the other ones I've seen.

Not on-line, is the new Minneapolis-St. Paul -- their annual food issue. They have absolutely the lamest web site. No update of the current issue. No photo, no table of contents, no nothing.

That's it for this week! It's almost 60, so we all have spring fever. A couple of bikes even came down off their hooks today!

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Updates from some Twin Cities media outlets, which do not 'go to press' by Friday each week, may be edited into each week's post as they become available.

Please do not reply on this thread. For discussion of any stories which are linked here, please feel free to start a new thread or contact the forum host or the "digester" who will be happy to do it for you.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 3 weeks later...

Friday, March 31, 2006

From the Strib's Eat+Drink section:

Small Bites, Big Flavors

"The pleasure in most foods is in the first few bites."

This includes a few recipes.

Also, a nice review of Magraux, new to downtown St. Paul. Let's hope this one succeeds; so many restaurants seem to flail in our capital city.

In Counterintelligence, good news of take and go from Tria. Reminder to self. Get there soon on a day that is so busy it prevents a home-cooked meal!

Somewhat food related (hey, what goes in must come out, right), an article on The Best Nightclub Bathrooms.

Over in the Strib's Taste section:

An odd article titled Spring Break, celebrating tropical fruit. Now, when I think spring, I think of racing out to the garden to see if the strawberry and raspberry plants are setting up shoots, but since I can find nice, ripe mango, why not?

In the Spoils of the Hunt... a reminder that that game in the freezer needs to be used up. The freezer, after all, is not a safe deposit box!

Over at the Pioneer Press's Restaurant section:

Kathy Jenkins does Sandwiches, picking the 10 best in the Twin Cities. She includes ones from Magraux and Tria, both of which were mentioned in the Strib this week.

Over in Restaurant News, belated news that People People Eatery is gone, but VERY welcome news that Taste of Scandinavia is opening another location, but about a mile and a half away from me, and between my Cub and Costo. It is just making me smile.

Over at the Citypages, Dara talks about March Madness -- something that is familiar to all of us. But, Dara takes us to Peninsula. I am off to lunch at Peninsula this week, and will report back.

Mpls. St. Paul magazine has yet to update their web site, so no report from them.

<><><><><>

Media Digest Notes...

Updates from some Twin Cities media outlets, which do not 'go to press' by Friday each week, may be edited into each week's post as they become available.

Please do not reply on this thread. For discussion of any stories which are linked here, please feel free to start a new thread or contact the forum host or the "digester" who will be happy to do it for you.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"