• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Creuset

CtznCane

Now that I have Molly Stevens "All About Braising" book, I need an oval one soonest. I have a 2-1/2 quart, which is fine for some things, but not big enough for most things. I noticed that Caplan Duvall has the 5 quart oval on sale (blue) for $91 and some pennies. Will I do better at the outlet store?

I've also noticed that Innova line on Amazon, which is considerably less $. Anyone have a track record with this stuff?

Finally, I checked Marshall's, and they have the made in China stuff, and the lids on the ones they had sure didn't fit as nice as the LC I have.

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Now that I have Molly Stevens "All About Braising" book, I need an oval one soonest.  I have a 2-1/2 quart, which is fine for some things, but not big enough for most things.  I noticed that Caplan Duvall has the 5 quart oval on sale (blue) for $91 and some pennies.  Will I do better at the outlet store?

I've also noticed that Innova line on Amazon, which is considerably less $.  Anyone have a track record with this stuff?

Finally, I checked Marshall's, and they have the made in China stuff, and the lids on the ones they had sure didn't fit as nice as the LC I have.

I just got a 9.5 qt oval at the outlet store for $163.00. Bought the orange cause it was 30% off. It's LC. :biggrin: Think 4 OssoBuco, 4 lamb shanks, 4 turkey legs, 4 whole duck legs. It's the size you need. Small crane when full really helps. :laugh::laugh:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Just after I posted this, my cousin called. She was at the outlet mall, standing in the Le Creuset store. She knows I adore the stuff. They had one 5 quart oval in granite (discontinued color) on sale. 35% off and then an additional 20%. She wondered if I wanted her to pick it up for me. $75.00 including tax. I'll get it when I see her on Tuesday morning. Sounds like I need to braise again on Tuesday!

use in my barbecue, right in the firebox where the temperatures get rather high.  (Reluctant to use my Le Cruset in that extreme heat.)

I ruined my LC round casserole right inside my charcoal firebox last summer. I was reducing a syruppy liquid and left it alone when the coals were burning down. Wrong strategy, as I found a blackened surface , very hard, after two hours of neglect. When removed, abit of the LC enamel comes off as well. When I get it all off, and find the sales receipt, I may take it back to LC if I feel aggressive enough.

In Canada. the Hudson's Bay Co. has Chinese knock offs of LC, at low enough prices. Not as good yet, but if we wait a couple of years I'll bet their product gets much better.

Just after I posted this, my cousin called.  She was at the outlet mall, standing in the Le Creuset store.  She knows I adore the stuff.  They had one 5 quart oval in granite (discontinued color) on sale.  35% off and then an additional 20%.  She wondered if I wanted her to pick it up for me.  $75.00 including tax. I'll get it when I see her on Tuesday morning.  Sounds like I need to braise again on Tuesday!

Glad you got yourself a new LC! At that price, it was indeed an excellent deal!! And isn't All About Braising an excellent book!! Have fun, and let us know which recipe you plan to make in your new LC.

Just after I posted this, my cousin called.  She was at the outlet mall, standing in the Le Creuset store.  She knows I adore the stuff.  They had one 5 quart oval in granite (discontinued color) on sale.  35% off and then an additional 20%.  She wondered if I wanted her to pick it up for me.  $75.00 including tax. I'll get it when I see her on Tuesday morning.  Sounds like I need to braise again on Tuesday!

It's here! It's beautiful! It's lovely! It arrived too late for me to use it tonight, so it's merely adorning my counter. After dinner, and after the kids have done their homework, I'm hunkering down, under an afghan, with Molly Steven's new book to decide just what to do tomorrow.

Best of all, my cousin also got me the large gratin, also granite color, as a gift for taking care of her kids a bazillion times.

Congratulations on the gratin. *happy dance* Those are getting hard to find.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

...[best of all, my cousin also got me the large gratin, also granite color, as a gift for taking care of her kids a bazillion times.

What a sweetie that cousin is! Nothing like a nice gift for the kitchen to make one happy. Enjoy!!!

Hi folks,

I'm a huge cast iron fan. I spent years cooking with Lodge prior to finding out about LeCreuset. I still use my Lodge fry pans all the time but their ovens have been put aside for my LeCreuset.

Reasons? The same as so many others have alreay stated here.

I wanted to let everyone know that I've bought all of my LeCreuset pieces from their factory (outlet) store in Flemington, NJ. I've picked up about one piece a year for the last ten years or so. All were seconds and not one single piece was ever defective in anyway whatsoever. Their seconds are all cosmetic. Any piece that comes out (of the manufacturing process) as defective is destroyed. The worst piece I have is a dutch oven (I forget the size) that has a thin coat on the inside bottom. This hasn't caused any problems for me and it's got about 8 years of (home) use on it. I've got quite a few deals from this factory store and I'd recommend anyone who is interested in LeCreuset to first check out a factory store before shelling out the bucks for either online (or forgive me for saying this - retail store) purchase.

Here's a link to LeCreuset's site (USA) where you can select your state and search for a factory store. near you.

Also, I've used the LeCreuset cleaner for a couple of years and find it to be a great product for cleaning the stains from inside the ovens. I find it similar to "soft scrub" but yet different.

Here's a link for caring and use of LeCreuset enamled cast iron cookware.

Anyway, thanks to all you for your information, especially regarding Lodge's enamled cast iron as I had no idea. More toys to buy... :biggrin:

--Dave M.--

I was in TJ Maxx today in MI and I saw an blue oval( 5qt?) on clearance for

40$ It was marked seconds. I turned it over and there was a weird indentation on the bottom. I didnt buy it because I was driving back to Canada and I was already worried about what I did buy. Ill be back there next week so I might pick it up.

I was in TJ Maxx today in MI and I saw an blue oval( 5qt?) on clearance for

40$ It was marked seconds. I turned it over and there was a weird indentation on the bottom. I didnt buy it because I was driving back to Canada and I was already worried about what I did buy. Ill be back there next week so I might pick it up.

The eternal optimist. :raz:

Edited by winesonoma (log)

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

CaliPoutine -- If the weird indentation says "Le Cruset Made in France" configured in a circle around a number (the pot model number), it is normal. $40 is a good as it's going to get for a 5 qt LC; TJMaxx usually prices the 5 qt LC at about $90. The capacity will be marked on the underside of the lid, if it's LC. Other brands, both French and Chinese, go for closer to the $40 at times.

CaliPoutine -- If the weird indentation says "Le Cruset Made in France" configured in a circle around a number (the pot model number), it is normal.  $40 is a good as it's going to get for a 5 qt LC; TJMaxx usually prices the 5 qt LC at about $90. The capacity will be marked on the underside of the lid, if it's LC. Other brands, both French and Chinese, go for closer to the $40 at times.

No, it was closer to the edge and it was somewhat raised. The lid was inverted and taped down so Im not sure of the size. It was fairly big though.

Ill report back next week.

Richard, Fifi, and Patti: Thanks for your help with my LC problem (I even learned a new word - crazing) - but now I'm  :sad:  :sad:.   I did read the care instruction when I got my LC and have let it cool before soaking and I don't think I've used anything above medium heat.  I'll check into the replacement option and see what happens.  Thanks again for your help!!!  I do love my LC!

It took me a while to send off my 5.3L LC Round Oven and request a warranty replacement due to the crazing. I'm happy to announce that my new LC (5.3L) arrived yesterday by Purolator. I received a reply within 24 hours on my initial email query about where to send my LC for replacement (in Canada). It then took a little under three weeks from when I mailed my LC until a new arrived from South Carolina. I'm one very satisfied customer! :biggrin:

Edited by lemon curd (log)

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

CaliPoutine -- If the weird indentation says "Le Cruset Made in France" configured in a circle around a number (the pot model number), it is normal.  $40 is a good as it's going to get for a 5 qt LC; TJMaxx usually prices the 5 qt LC at about $90. The capacity will be marked on the underside of the lid, if it's LC. Other brands, both French and Chinese, go for closer to the $40 at times.

Well, I went back and it was there. I bought it and they had a lot of others on clearance. I got the 4 1/2qt oval for 40 bucks. I saw some round ones for 56 and 60. It's definatly a second and it has a small hole on the bottom, but it doesnt go all the way thru. I guess thats why it was so cheap.

Now, what else can I make it in besides red meat? We dont eat red meat, but we do eat pork, chicken and fish.

I found some lovely moro oranges (blood oranges) at the middle eastern market today so made this with boneless chicken breasts (skins on).

I used enough oil (grapeseed in this case) to cover the bottom of the pot, sauteed some garlic in the oil then lightly browned the chicken pieces, removed them and set aside.

I then added 1/2 a cup of chopped onion, seasonings, I used a pepper medley, salt, herbes de Provence and some chipotle pepper flakes.

I cooked them in the oil until the onion was beginning to brown.

I then added the juice of 4 (very small) moros.

Then returned the chicken to the pot, covered it and put it in a low oven 275 F, for 3 hours.

gallery_17399_60_63945.jpg

It is moist and tender, great flavor served with couscous.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I found some lovely moro oranges (blood oranges) at the middle eastern market today so made this with boneless chicken breasts (skins on). .  . . 

That looks and sounds delicious. I love blood oranges and they are available in the markets right now. Thanks for sharing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...
Amazon is currently selling one of the 6.75 quart ovens for $130 ($155 plus $25 off any kitchen purchase over $125).  What is the likelihood that I will be able to find this particular item for less at one of the outlet stores?

Broadway Panhandler, according to their ad is selling a 7.5 quart round oven for $140.

--

If you wait Amazon will probably have them for less! I bought a 6.75 qt. oval there for $99 last year, and that included a free $45 demi LC matching teakettle. They also just had a promo where they offered the 2.75 oval free with it! I think it was $150 for both after the $25 off. It might have been with 5 qt. though, as I forget. Anyway I would wait for a better deal there. Caplanduval.com has them for less too. $108.99 for that size. See link below!

6.75 oven

<< Amazon is currently selling one of the 6.75 quart ovens for $130 ($155 plus $25 off any kitchen purchase over $125). What is the likelihood that I will be able to find this particular item for less at one of the outlet stores? >>

Edited by Blondelle (log)

Amazon is currently selling one of the 6.75 quart ovens for $130 ($155 plus $25 off any kitchen purchase over $125).  What is the likelihood that I will be able to find this particular item for less at one of the outlet stores?

If you opt for a discontinued color at an outlet, you can do way better than that.

I'm a newcomer to this thread so please bear with me especially if I've missed something that has been already said... Anyway...

Most of my LC pots are about 30 years old; they were the first pieces I purchased when I moved out from under mom's wings into my first apartment. So yes, I'm a huge fan and envy those of you who find such great bargains on new pieces. Now that you've listed so many good sources I think I'll be doing a bit of e-shopping soon - you can never have too many cocottes or Dutch ovens :biggrin:

I do have a question about cleaning though. Over the years the lovely cream interiors have developped what I like to call a patina, but have I read somewhere here that the original cream colour can actually be restored at home? I have had one of my cocottes re-enamelled for $80 when the original finish simply shattered one day when I was heating a splash of oil - and no, they would not cover it under warranty as they determined it was due to extreme overheating at some point. The only drawback to that option is that the process involved enamelling the entire pot (inside and out) in one colour and the choices were black or dark green :sad: I chose the latter.

I would like to hear more about personal experience with cleaning as opposed to links to the LC web site (I already have that).

Many thanks :smile:

Edited by gourmande (log)

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

I guess that my oldest piece is the 6 3/4 quart oval, about 15 years. I have always just used a 3M green thingy scrubber on it with Dawn. I use it at least twice a month and it hasn't developed a patina that I can tell. My new favorite is my "little white pot" the 2 1/2 quart oval. I use it about twice a week. It has gotten stained with mushroom soup of all things and braises with a lot of paprika. It's interior is white white. I just splash some chlorine bleach in there with cold water and let it sit for about 15 minutes.

Someone up-thread mentioned that the LC cleaner takes care of everything. That is on my list for my next trip to the cookware store. I stray into using ss utensils occasionally (yes, I know better) and I understand that the cleaner even takes care of that. Maybe that would take care of your patina.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

Thanks fifi, I use the 3M scrubber too (used the nylon scrubbers before that great invention) but I'll try the bleach later tonight. I have some short ribs braising in a lot of red wine and port at the moment so that should stain the pot nicely once again.

Since I use my pots many times per week, perhaps I'm actually wearing the enamel down and the cast iron is beginning to show through.

I'll let you know if chlorine does the trick.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman