• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

hot chocolate shake

glenn

I was told I'd have better luck posting this here - sorry for any duplication.

I'm trying to develop a drink for the cold months but I can't seem to get past first base. Perhaps this a moronic question, but what temperature should a hot milk shake be?

My idea which I tried and like - is to make a spicy hot chocolate and chocolate milk shake separately. The milk shake is made with just enough milk so it blends somewhat smoothly, i.e., about 3 oz. of milk and 6 oz. of ice cream (as well as chocolate syrup.) The hot chocolate was about 7 ounces, so the yield totaled about 16 oz. I first poured the hot chocloate in the glass and then added the shake. So it was hot on bottom and cold on top when served.

Is this what is meant when people refer to hot chocolate shake? Someone (Holly?) came up with the following.... A black and white shake with marshmellow fluff on top or mixed in. If she's reading this, can you expand on the recipe? Thanks.

No, not anything frozen. I need a special winter drink. The only reason I asked about a hot chocolate milk shake is that I saw it on the menu somewhere and it sounded perfect for my (hopefully) upcoming new place (which will feature milkshakes among other items.)

I'm totally open to ideas. In keeping in line with milkshakes as a primary item, I thought a hot milkshake sounded like a nifty idea - I'm just having trouble envisioning exactly what it is :-)

In Florence Italy.. we serve a hot chocolate... made thick.. by adding chopped chocolate pieces...and they melt in the milk..

perhaps if you used Ice cream...and the chocolate..and heat it.. it is a hot shake???

We also do a ice cream and expresso.. but the ice cream cools down the expresso and we drink it cold.

the recipes are on my site..

Good luck!

Thanks Divina.  I'll give that a shot, the hot chocolate that is with ice cream instead of chocolate.  Seems so obvious but I never thought of it.

Depending on how fast your service is, the ice cream might still be viable when served -- plus the meling ice cream subsequently makes a beautiful crema on top... I do it with coffee ice cream and it is my absolute favorite in the winter.

Another thought on your hot chocolate shake might be the idea of making Mexican Hot Chocolate which is made like Divina said - chunks of Mexican-spiced chocolate blended with hot milk that makes big, foamy hot chocolate. Make THAT with extra-hot milk THEN add a scoop of ice cream. Yum!

Another thought on your hot chocolate shake might be the idea of making Mexican Hot Chocolate which is made like Divina said - chunks of Mexican-spiced chocolate blended with hot milk that makes big, foamy hot chocolate. Make THAT with extra-hot milk THEN add a scoop of ice cream. Yum!

Oooh... <slurp... please excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin>

That sounds delightful. :wub:

...wine can of their wits the wise beguile, make the sage frolic, and the serious smile. --Alexander Pope

My idea which I tried and like - is to make a spicy hot chocolate and chocolate milk shake separately. The milk shake is made with just enough milk so it blends somewhat smoothly, i.e., about 3 oz. of milk and 6 oz. of ice cream (as well as chocolate syrup.) The hot chocolate was about 7 ounces, so the yield totaled about 16 oz. I first poured the hot chocloate in the glass and then added the shake. So it was hot on bottom and cold on top when served.

I was watching Michael Chiarella the other day while in the kitchen making dinner and he had what I think is a great idea that might fit here. His used a hazelnut/coffee gelato and espresso, but it could easily be adapted.

In a coffee mug, place a piece of biscotti and a generous scoop of the gelato. Top with very frothy hot steamed milk. Bring to the table with a pitcher of espresso and let the guest pour the espresso over the top.

Substitute the espresso with hot chocolate, maybe nix/replace the biscotti, and vary the flavors of the gelato and you've got something that is very versatile and definitely unusual.

:Clay

Clay Gordon

president, pureorigin

editor/publisher www.chocophile.com

founder, New World Chocolate Society

I am not sure if I would even use ice cream at all...because when you say hot milkshake, I am envisioning something with the thickness of a shake, but the temp of hot chocolate...so what I would do is start with an egg-based ice ceam mixture that is cold and temper it with the hot chocolate, and whip it up until it is nice and thick....sort of like a thin custard...Might be kinda rich, but it would be damn good.

I dunno...I'm interested to see what you come up with.

"Make me some mignardises, &*%$@!" -Mateo

In my opinion, you are going to have an ice cream soda, rather than a milkshake!

I suspect that the reference made in this thread to the gelato-&-coffee drink is for affogato al caffé – which I have made by combining vanilla ice cream in a glass with hot espresso. A hot espresso-&-chocolate beverage is called Barbajada.

You may like to consider serving your milkshake with fresh bomboloni (doughnuts).

Of course, you’ll be using your own in-house chocolate syrup? (For example: 1½ cups granulated sugar; 8 fl. oz. water; ½ cup Dutch-processed cocoa; 1 tsp vanilla.)

"Dinner is theater. Ah, but dessert is the fireworks!" ~ Paul Bocuse

I am not sure if I would even use ice cream at all...because when you say hot milkshake, I am envisioning something with the thickness of a shake, but the temp of hot chocolate

That's what came to my mind too. Theres been several really good ideas mentioned. The warm thick shake is definately a twist and a good idea for a ice cream shop in the winter. I bet you could even get a little local media attention on it.

A favorite ice cream shop of mine is called Whitey's. My husbands favorite ice cream treat is their hot fudge chocolate malt. It's just adding hot fudge into the ice cream, verses a cold fudge or syrup.........so really theres no rules.

This has been bugging me all weekend long; I knew I'd seen something similar awhile back on the Food Network.

It finally came to me... Serendipity, New York City. They describe their Frrrozen Hot Chocolate as, “a blend of 14 exotic cocoas that when mixed in a blender with milk and ice and topped with whipped cream and shaved chocolate create a devilishly delectable treat”.

Di

try using sifon or lecithin

for sifon 200 chocolate 65%

150 milk

120 egg whites

Maintain sifon in bainmarie/roner at just below 65, or up to 82, shaking contantly.

Alternatively 1l milk, 400 chocolate 5 lecithin enjoy with bermixer