• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baking for 100

nice_guy1812

OK. I need to make something for about 100 people here at work. Since I'm going off to culinary school for a pastry program, I'd like to showcase my baking talents :rolleyes: . I need to make something thats not to hard, not too expensive, and is somewhat impressive. Oh, something thats individual, as opposed to a cake or something, is preferred. I was thinking of doing pain au chocolats (well, not true pain au chocolats since I'd be using puff pastry instead of croissant dough). Any other suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

Thanx!

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"

-Presiden Muffley, Dr. Strangelove

How about eclairs? You could mix up the fillings: do some with plain pastry cream, some coffee, some chocolate, and vary the top coating as well. For a real bit of panache, add a dusting of gold dust (available at a cake decorating place).

When do you start pastry school? Are you quitting your current job for it? (I start next Monday, but as it's part-time, I will continue working).

Edited to ask about pastry school.

Edited by jgarner53 (log)

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

Hey, great idea!

I'm starting school in 2 weeks. I'm going to the Cordon Bleu in Ottawa. It's full time and far away from where I live, so I am quitting my job. I wanna work part-time when I'm at school though. I'm so excited!

I think pate a choux is your friend. Besides the profiteroles and eclairs already mentioned, you could make mini paris-brests.

I am a big fan of the bite-sized tartlet. Properly executed tartlet shells are more difficult than choux paste, and you can go crazy with different fillings and garnishes (lime curd and tropical fruits, ganache and candied orange peel, etc). But only do those if you have a tartlet pan and if you have time to do them well--the pate a choux will take a lot less time and be just as impressive.

Thanks for all of your suggestions. I went with the eclairs because i could make a lot of them in not too much time. They were a hit too! I would've loved to make individual tarts, or even a few big ones, but I didn't have enough time to do that.

On something completely off-topic, yesterday and today I made my first croissants! Ever since a bad experience with home-made puff pastry a few years ago I have avoided making it, and croissants, for the longest time...but these are the best croissants I've ever had! I just felt the need to brag about it somewhere (insert ear-to-ear grin emoticon here. why won't the emoticons work?)

I made my first croissants!

Congratulations! My first croissants were a leaky, buttery mess, so my hat's off to you! Did you find it easier this time? How did you approach it to get over your fear of laminated dough? I've found that the gluten development in croissants makes them harder to roll out (mind you, this is my one and only attempt to date) than puff pastry. Did you also find that to be true? Which recipe did you use?

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries