• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frozen chicken stock

viaChgo

I've got some chicken stock in my freezer that i found buried under some other stuff that was from February. Normally, it would have been used up if it wasn't hiding. How long does is keep in the freezer? I would think it's fine, but I always read/hear that it should be used within 3 months or so.

As previously mentioned, it should be safe to eat but may be compromised from a flavor perspective. Freezer burn is a good sign of deteriorated flavor. If I have stock that's been in the freezer for quite some time and/or showing some freezer burn, I'll take the frozen chunk and wash it under luke warm water, taking off the outer 1/8" or so. What's left after the rinse is just as wonderful as the day I froze it.

I have actually found stock lost for two years or more and rinsed off any dehydrated top layer and it was just fine.

Linda LaRose aka "fifi"

"Having spent most of my life searching for truth in the excitement of science, I am now in search of the perfectly seared foie gras without any sweet glop." Linda LaRose

As previously mentioned, it should be safe to eat but may be compromised from a flavor perspective. Freezer burn is a good sign of deteriorated flavor. If I have stock that's been in the freezer for quite some time and/or showing some freezer burn, I'll take the frozen chunk and wash it under luke warm water, taking off the outer 1/8" or so. What's left after the rinse is just as wonderful as the day I froze it.

I've given up using plastic containers in favor of ziplocks. This has cut waaay back on freezer burn and all but eliminates contact with air. I find this way I can do it in 1,2,4, etc. cups quantity. It allows me to break off a few Tbs worth of stock if needed (whack it against the edge of the counter and it breaks inside the pastic into smaller bits) or to defrost larger amounts very quickly by immersing in warm water.

I freeze them very flat on sheet pans, then when frozen I collect them in larger baggies so they don't get lost so easily (chicken collected in one, beef in another, etc). They stack horizontally or upright much like file folders. It works really well for me.

edited for typos

Edited by Mottmott (log)

"Half of cooking is thinking about cooking." ---Michael Roberts