• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Re-using pickling liquid

bloviatrix

Can I re-use pickling liquid? I've got several cups sitting in the container from my last batch which was devoured and we were wondering if it's safe. The recipe contained white vinegar, water, sugar, garlic, dill and pickling spices.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

uh... you have liquid leftover? :unsure:

i tend to drink it after the pickles are gone

<hangs head and tucks it under her wing in shame>

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

i tend to drink it after the pickles are gone

I had a chef friend and fellow worker who used to swear it was a hangover cure( pickle juice), it must have worked for him because he did it all the time, It was a resort after all so what else do chefs do but work and drink.

steve

Cook To Live; Live To Cook

Definitely works great for eggs, carrots, etc. My advice would be to consume quickly. You could also reinvigorate the brine with some more vinegar. However, if you're planning on actually using this as a preservative, you ought to re-pack (i.e. pressure/water pack) using new tops on the jars. You can reuse the rings, though.

Just, don't expect it to preserve things. However, as a condiment/quick pickle it would be a fabulous use. It also goes really well in bloody marys.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I reuse it, however I usually bring it to a boil and add more vinegar and sugar. I've never had a problem, however I keep the pickles in the refrigerator.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I've reused pickling liquid often...but think it doesn't pack

the original wallop. I make pickled beets from plain canned

beets and have used the pickling liquid from that...but

quickly and not actually canning with it...just in the fridge.

lkm

Well, I tossed the old liquid and made a fresh batch. But, Blovie is intrigued at the idea of using the pickling liquid in a bloody mary. He's going to try that after we eat the new bunch of pickles.

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

Well, I tossed the old liquid and made a fresh batch. But, Blovie is intrigued at the idea of using the pickling liquid in a bloody mary. He's going to try that after we eat the new bunch of pickles.

That is one hell of an idea.

Stephen Bunge

St Paul, MN

Dirty martinis also put brine to good use. :wub: It doesn't have to be olive brine; anything salty works.

Nikki Hershberger

An oyster met an oyster

And they were oysters two.

Two oysters met two oysters

And they were oysters too.

Four oysters met a pint of milk

And they were oyster stew.