• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mountain Dew Pitch Black

Andrew Fenton

Glutton for punishment that I am, I picked up a bottle of Pitch Black at the grocery store this weekend. My wife asked how it was after I tried it, and I said, "It was . . . interesting." :hmmm:

I didn't think it was quite as bad as Dimetapp or other grape cough syrups, but my first impression was that it tasted like grape soda with a Mountain Dew base.

Probably not a probable repeat purchase like Pepsi Edge, but not horrifically bad either.

Fred Jauss

Rockville, MD

I think Pepsi missed the boat with Pitch Black. I would have introduced it for

Halloween , wherein it could be served in cheap plastic goblets at midnight for the purposes of birthing a moonchild.....Or how about the Goth market? They could change the name to 55 chevy crankcase and sell it in cans? :wink:

• 11 months later...

At the U today I saw Mountain Dew Pitch Black II "A blast of grape flavor with a SOUR BITE".

It is definitely sour.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

They're still teaching that in grade school, right? Of course, it's not like it's Mountain Dew Pitch Black MCMMLXXXVII

Yet, that is. This also says "limited edition". Probably using up a batch of cheap syrup.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

• 4 weeks later...

It's baaaaaaaack. :shock:

Yesterday I bought a small bottle of the stuff as an impulse buy at the grocery store checkout counter.

I'll give it a try this weekend.

edited to add: I was mistaken. It's not Pitch Black. It's Pitch Black II. The label mentions the grape flavor but now it has a "sour bite" to it. Is this a good thing? :blink::raz:

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

So I tried it and can't give it a thumbs up.

It did taste a little like grape flavoring but with the "sour bite" my tastebuds kept expecting it to be apple, go figure. It reminded me a lot of those sweet but "sour" candies with that very fake tartness, thanks to whatever chemicals they put in it. After a while, that tartness was omnipresent and any grape flavor definitely took a backseat. But then I'm not their target audience, am I?

It stains the drinking glass quite nicely, too. :hmmm:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Actually as I understand its a reformulation of Pitch Black, not the original one they used. The "sour bite" thing is new. I haven't tried the new one yet.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

• 3 weeks later...

So I've decided that after a 12 pack of the stuff, I find it to be overtly juvenile in its formulation. I hope it crashes and burns.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host