• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finding Indian Food in Jersey as good as NYC

ghostrider

Even though this is on the wrong side of the State, I think Kalluri Corner @235A Nassau Street in Princeton (609-688-8923; www.kalluricorner.com) is worth mentioning. I had a great meal there last summer. Excellent Paneer Saag, Salmon Tandoori. Delicious appetizers. It was a great meal. I hope to go back there next week. The whole meal is a foggy memory a this point but I remember that the food had a distinctive, personal touch. The chef was the wife of a Princeton Professor (Physics? can't remember).

I appreciate the Edison rec. I will try it next week.

I was a vegetarian for 10 years so Chand was one of my hangouts. After my return to carnivorism, I tried going back a handful of times for both lunch and dinner. Hated it. The lunch buffet has only 2 main dishes, I believe and although the saag is good, nothing really stands out. I am intrigued by the Tuesday night banquet buffet, though. I'd be very interested to see how they handle meat.

It's not quite as hoidy toidy, but I much prefer Jyoti. They only have one good dish but it's so good it makes up for the rest of their shortcomings. They have one of the best chicken tikka masalas I've ever eaten. And they are smart enough to always make it one of the dishes in the lunch buffet. Stay away from the saag. Repeat, stay away from the saag. Worst saag ever. But definitely worth a trip for the CTM.

P.S. 6th ave., btw, isn't reknowned for the quality of it's food. This may have changed in recent years, but I have always found Little India superior and NJ even better than that (when comparing your typical inexpensive 'buffet' cuisine).

Edited by scott123 (log)

Yes, 6th street used to be not be very good. As of late there are two standouts that many feel are among the best in NYC. The Brick Lane Curry House as well as the other restaurant on the corner of 1st and 6th (forgot the name, but I have eaten there and it was very good...Darube maybe?). Both are decorated in a more upscale manner, have liquor licenses (not good), and have a more delicate and thoughtful touch to the food as well as presentation. I miss the musicians playing though.

Have not been to Chand Palace in Parsippany in years, but at the time that I worked near there, it was absolutely my favorite Indian restaurant in Northern NJ. Loved it so much, that I even traveled out to Parsippany from Bergen County on days off just to go there.

A co-worker of mine swears by their Tuesday buffet and partakes of it routinely.

I think Kinara does a lunch buffet. I seem to remember a sign outside the restaurant that advertises the buffet. I only go there for dinner, so I can't promise that my memory is accurate!

Kinara is very good. The gentleman who owns it used to work for the Indian restaurant on Route 4 in Paramus -- Namaskaar. Namaskaar isn't bad, but we really do prefer Kinara. Try it! :biggrin:

Janbee

Lover of Broadway, beaches and chocolate.

Guest johnh91011

We love the Taj Palace in Montclair (although the last time there we had a less than stellar experience), Raagini in Mountainside and Begum Palace in Chatham

We went to Namaskaar twice in the past 6 months and both times the food was very good. Their lunch time buffet is also good.

We haven't been to Taj Palace (thought over the past few years have had many delicious dinners there), but, the last time we were there it too was less than stellar.

Have been out to Raagini a couple of times (not recently though) and it was very good - have only been there for their buffets.

i'm a huge fan of Begum in Chatham (or is it in Madison?). consistently have excellent meals there of items representing broad spectrum of their menu. spices and preparation fit my own personal taste the best of any place that i've been too (including all the montclair places). thicker/buttery type sauces, not creamy/watery sauces.

they're service is also typically very friendly, although the last time i was there, the busboy threw down his bowtie and stormed out of the place. but anyways...

they have dinner buffet on wednesday/sunday for 11.95, although i don't believe there is much of a difference between that and their daily lunch buffet for 5.95. in the entertainment book as well.

We were at Taj Palace just a few weeks ago. Mulligatawny soup was very good, thick & fragrant, best rendition I've had in about a decade. Nan was smoky & delicious.

The chicken biriyani was dull, way under-spiced. My chicken Pishawri ("a rare delicacy from north-west frontier capital, Peshawar, juicy pieces of chicken specially prepared with chef's sharp knife, then simmered in a light sauce with black pepper, yogurt, onions, tomatoes & mild spices"), OTOH, was excellent - aromatic, with plenty of bite from the black pepper.

Service was very good. Overall, I couldn't say "stellar" either, but it was definitely enjoyable. I'd certainly go back & no doubt will in the months ahead.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

Try Kinara in Edgewater.

Does Kinara do a lunch buffet? I didn't see it mentioned on their website.

They do but its nothing special. Go for dinner.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Begum is one of my favorite buffets but they can be a little inconsistent. They really don't handle lamb very well. And although thy do a good CTM, they only have it maybe 1 time out of 15. The other chicken dishes they do always strike me as a little on the soupy side.

That being said, I would definitely rank them in the top 3 in Morris County. And they are exceedingly friendly.

Try Kinara in Edgewater.

It has come to a point where I can't do anything but a buffet. I feel completely deprived if I can't sit down and have a little bit of chicken, a little bit of lamb, a little saag, a little legume, a little ghobi, and a little paneer.

To match that kind of diversity for dinner you'd have to spend a fortune.

Try Kinara in Edgewater.

It has come to a point where I can't do anything but a buffet. I feel completely deprived if I can't sit down and have a little bit of chicken, a little bit of lamb, a little saag, a little legume, a little ghobi, and a little paneer.

Go to Bhoj for lunch or weekend brunch (which is bigger on the weekends) then. Authenticity is excellent and they make amazing tandoor breads.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Recently I have been very impressed with the lunch buffet at Saffron on Rt. 10 E. in East Hannover. A bit more upscale than some of the nearby competition but certainly worth the $8.95. There is a place in the plaza almost directly across Rt. 10 (where the Dick's sporting good store is) that is not nearly as good. Also agree with others on Chand Palace for vegetarian. There is a place in the plaza at Rt. 46 and Parsippany Rd. that also does a decent non-veg. lunch buffet. The name escapes me right now, but I believe it is actually run by Pakistanis.

It has come to a point where I can't do anything but a buffet.  I feel completely deprived if I can't sit down and have a little bit of chicken, a little bit of lamb, a little saag, a little legume, a little ghobi, and a little paneer.

I am SO with you, Scott! And I agree with Rachel--going with a group is the best way to try lots of dishes, but when you can't do that, try my favorite solution--order a thali! It's a mini-sampler/buffet on a plate, and I've never been to an Indian restaurant that doesn't offer them. It's a huge plate with about 6 small dishes on it; think seder plate, but no shank bone. :wink: (Please tell me a few of you are laughing at that!) While you might not think it sounds like much, pair it up with naan and an appetizer or a lassi, and trust me, you'll fill up fast. You usually get to pick your chicken and lamb dishes, and then the 'set' dishes almost always include lentils, saag, a chick pea dish and/or a samosa. Most restaurants offer a meat and a veg thali, so you really do have options--even if you're with someone who's a vegetarian. :smile:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I have eaten at Taj Palace and Namaskaar, both were okay, but far from the level of food mentioned in NYC. Not even close. I had gotten used to the NJ Indian food, and then I was amazed by some of the dishes at the NYC restaurants. I often order the eggplant dish Bhangan Bhurtha. No comparison from the typical way I get in in NJ, and the much more delicate preperation in the two restaurants mentioned. Do yourselves a favor and try them...or don't, because the restaurants here will then be so much less satisfying.

Try Kinara in Edgewater.

Go to Bhoj for lunch or weekend brunch (which is bigger on the weekends) then. Authenticity is excellent and they make amazing tandoor breads.

Thanks, I'm there.

It has come to a point where I can't do anything but a buffet.  I feel completely deprived if I can't sit down and have a little bit of chicken, a little bit of lamb, a little saag, a little legume, a little ghobi, and a little paneer.

I am SO with you, Scott! And I agree with Rachel--going with a group is the best way to try lots of dishes, but when you can't do that, try my favorite solution--order a thali!

That's a great idea, thanks. I am familiar with the thali but never saw the similiarity between it and the buffet.

• 3 weeks later...

Tonight, in the true spirit of Rosh Hashanah, my mom and I had dinner at India on the Hudson. :cool: That kitchen just never disappoints!

In my continued quest to have as many tastes as possible, I ordered the non-veg thali, which I mentioned somewhere upthread. And I get to have the leftovers tomorrow! For the lamb dish, I tried a new one this time--lamb saag. Great combo of tender lamb with spinach that was just perfect for me spice-wise--I had a light 'glow' after eating it. For the chicken dish, I went with their Tikka Masala, as I love it and hadn't had it in months. Rounding out the plate: a veg samosa (my choice, as I prefer it over the lamb), dal makhani (lentils), chick peas, naan, peas pulao (rice with peas in it), raita, and for dessert, something that sounds like globjob; I can only remember that much b/c it's what friends of mine used to call it! Spongy little balls floating in milk and a ton of sugar. To start off a sweet New Year, of course... :wink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."