• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Considering Baking and Pastry Program

BROWNSUGA

I am strongly considering enrolling in a baking and pastry program at a nearby school. Up until now, I have baked at home. I am very much interested in learning more about baking and pastry, perfecting my skills and hopefully, one day, working in the industry. I know there are alot of people who are self-taught. However, I am one in need of class instruction. The program I have chosen has alot of hands-on teaching.

The program is not the problem. I am just considering where I want to go from there. Of course, I would like to own my own business one day. However, that is not an immediate desire. (I am currently working full-time in a non-related field. As it stands now, I dont plan to leave my job, as it pays the bills and provides great medical benefits. However, it is just a job. It is not to say that I am ruling out leaving my job. It is just not a thought right now. I am open to the possibilities.) Since graduating from college, I have always worked a part-time job off and on. So, I figured, if I am going to work part-time (and full-time), I would much rather it be in a field that I enjoy.

I am curious to know what other options are out there. After completing the program, I dont mind working for someone else to gain some experience. Plus, working in an establishment will help direct my path. I am thinking long-term and wonder where do I go from there. I have read how difficult it could be to own and operate a bakery or even a retail business. I wasnt sure what the other options are. (As it stands now, I truly enjoy making cakes and desserts. But I am aware that my interests could expand by the time I complete the program.)

Does anyone have information on catering business (or possibly other businesses that dont require a large startup costs like that of a shop of a bakery) or could direct me where I could obtain information? I am looking for information on catering such things as baked goods.

Thank you in advance.

Edited by BROWNSUGA (log)

Other than working for other people (which is a great idea because that is really learning the actuality and reality of the thing) the only thing I can think of is being a Personal Chef perhaps specializing in baked goods.

Not sure how it would fly though...if you read many of the threads in this forum you will note that the field is squeezed and competitive already, due to low-cost production baked goods being so widely available.

Abra has written a food blog on a week in her life as a personal chef...it is posted in one of the cooking forums.

Thank you for your response.

I am looking forward to the classes. I just want to make sure that it will be worth it. I am very much interested in cakes (custom and regular) and know alot of people who do this from home. However, I dont think that is legal in my state. So, even if I did start off that way, I couldnt continue that route. I would eventually have to find someone's kitchen to rent out. I am trying to plan for the long term, too.

I will be sure to check out that thread. I will continue to look through the threads to see what I can find.

I am in the same boat as you, though I have made the leap and will be starting a baking and pastry program at the end of next month.

I, too, am not sure where I want to end up, perhaps opening my own business of sorts. When people ask me, as they inevitably do, what I want to do when I'm done with the program, my stock answer has been "personal pastry chef!" But whether that means working with a personal chef, or a caterer, or whether I discover something else in school that really makes me happy, I don't know.

You may be able to share rental of a commercial kitchen where you are, or get time in one, say, in a local church, when they're not using it.

"I just hate health food"--Julia Child

Jennifer Garner

buttercream pastries

I am beginning baking and pastry school in Oct. My long range plan is to teach as I have already had one high stress carrer. I plan to spend some years gaining experience, however. Good luck to us all!

You may be able to share rental of a commercial kitchen where you are, or get time in one, say, in a local church, when they're not using it.

There are so many people interested in going into foodservice ventures in these times that many health departments have tightened up their codes. Unless you live in an unpopulated or rural area, it is not likely that you will find a commercial kitchen that co-rents or shares (though I am not saying it is impossible, just not very common), and the inspectors have taken to tightening up physical space requirements and rules on kitchens in churches and such, also.

It can be done 'under the table' sometimes if you have connections but of course then you are taking a risk with your future reputation if you happen to get found out...

It is unhappy that these codes are being written so much more stringently that many people can not enter into a small business that in previous years would have had a chance...but at the same time, food handling and sanitation are very important things to have good controls over. If we don't, people get food-borne illnesses.

If it finally comes to the point where you want to take the jump but not a jump as big as opening a full service bakery the thing I've seen work best for people is just to retro-fit their own kitchen or expand into another area of their home, building to code.

Expensive, yes. Hopefully the money will be made back eventually....

You've just gotta love this thing, to do it....and yes, good luck to you all! :smile:

I believe what your doing now- networking with people similar to you and already working in the field-is probably the best exposure to possiblities your going to find. I beleive someone published a book on 'the making of a pastry chef' or something similar in title you could look up for more insight if your interested.

Theres alot of people that sell cakes from their homes, legally and illegally.

To do this successfully it takes savvy...........and finding a mentor who does similar would be a great asset to increase your knowledge. Personally speaking, if your serious about this avenue I don't think a culinary school would be your best education. Instead I'd invest in taking classes from many of the leaders in the decorating industry.

We have at least one regular member here who does make a living doing cakes from home, and several others here that have related experience........not to mention a couple huge icons in the industry Kerry Vincent and Steve Klc. Rarely will you find so many talented decorators hanging out where you could ask them questions.........

I believe what your doing now- networking with people similar to you and already working in the field-is probably the best exposure to possiblities your going to find. I beleive someone published a book on 'the making of a pastry chef' or something similar in title you could look up for more insight if your interested.

Theres alot of people that sell cakes from their homes, legally and illegally.

To do this successfully it takes savvy...........and finding a mentor who does similar would be a great asset to increase your knowledge. Personally speaking, if your serious about this avenue I don't think a culinary school would be your best education. Instead I'd invest in taking classes from many of the leaders in the decorating industry.

We have at least one regular member here who does make a living doing cakes from home, and several others here that have related experience........not to mention a couple huge icons in the industry Kerry Vincent and Steve Klc. Rarely will you find so many talented decorators hanging out where you could ask them questions.........

Thanks for the advice. I will be sure to look into that book. It sounds very interesting.

I know alot of people that sell cakes out of their home, legally and illegally. Actually, I am a member of a great message board that is just for cake decorating. I have learned so much from the fabulous people who are there. (Boy, they are some talented folks!) However, I still need more. I have books by some well known cake-decorators and read as much as I can absorb on the web. My decision to go to school has more to do with baking than anything. Sure, I very excited about the other things I am going to learn. And I am looking forward to the hands on instruction as it relates to decorating. But, most of all, I would like to be a better baker. I have tested out a number of recipes at home and even have taken 2 of the Wilton classes. However, I am looking to become better and expand my knowledge. The program that I have chosen has alot of hands on instruction. I would love to take classes with the leaders. However, the school that I have chosen offers convenience of fiting into my busy schedule. Plus, I may find other things that also peak my interested, something that I never considered before.

JGARNER and WOODS,

Wow! I am glad to know that I am not alone. You will be going, too! Perhaps, we could stay in touch with one another on this thread and let each other know how it is going. I would love to hear more about your programs.

Thanks, JGARNER. Ok, I am not alone in being unsure. Like you, I am open to the possibilities.

Good luck to both of you!!! :biggrin:

Oh, here are the courses for the program I am considering:

Bread Production

Students are introduced to the fundamental concepts, skills, and techniques of conventional and artisan bread & roll baking. Special significance is placed on the study of ingredient functions, formulation, fermentation, pre-ferments, product identification, and specific make-up methods as each applies to the baking of various bread & roll products. Lectures and demonstrations teach both yeast and non-yeast dough mixing methods, proper handling, in addition to the finishing of all bread products produced in this course.

Intermediate Cake Production (Mixing, Baking & Finishing)

Students are introduced to the essential concepts, skills, and techniques for a wide range of cake & cookie preparations. Particular attention is placed on the study of the diverse mixing, make-up, and finishing requirements for each individual product. High-ratio and low fat content cake layers will be prepared.

Baking & Pastry Science & Nutrition

This course provides the student with an in-depth study of fundamental concepts and essential theory necessary to understand the baking process. Emphasis is on formulation, ingredient function, identification and use. The Baker’s Percentage, formula conversion and ratios are reviewed. The student learns the nutritional role of baked products based on the American Food Pyramid and the USDA Dietary Guidelines.

Chocolate & Candies

Students develop knowledge and skill in the correct use and handling of fine chocolate. The focus is on chocolate varieties, chocolate tempering and basic chocolate work. Students prepare molded candies, various pralines and bon-bons, and complete both a pastillage and chocolate centerpiece. A brief introduction to pulled sugar is to be explored.

Intermediate Pastry Skills

Students receive comprehensive instruction regarding the preparation for a broad range of à la carte, banquet, and retail style sweet baked goods. Emphasis is on preparation and proper application for a variety of specialty doughs, fillings, and icings. Advanced pastries are produced using Pâte Brisée, Pâte à choux, Pâte Feuilletée, and Pâte Sucrée. Both individual and multiple portion pastries are prepared. Students continue to develop and build essential as well as advanced baking and pastry skills.

Practical Baking & Pastry Skills

This course focuses primarily on the development of the student’s ability to properly handle and creatively utilize various chocolates and icings as they apply to the finishing of a wide range of pastry products. Special significance is placed on the correct use of both Confectioners’ Coating and Couverture. Additionally, the student hones his/her skills using both the paper pastry cone as well as the cloth pastry bag during weekly practice sessions.

Classical & Contemporary Desserts

Students are introduced to the concepts of plated desserts for restaurant service. Focus is on basic design components. Plating styles such as Classic, Modern, Contemporary, and Architecture are explored as well as the feasibility of creating realistic banquet-style desserts.

Advanced Cakes and Tortes

Students develop comprehensive knowledge and skill in the production of cakes and tortes. A variety of fillings, creams, icings and mousses are used to create unique and classic cakes. Emphasis is placed on proper mixing methods of cakes and icings including those for creamed, hi-ratio, and sponge. Students learn basic and intermediate cake decorating techniques.

Bakery & Pastry Kitchen Operations

Students are introduced to the diverse history of the baking and pastry industry. Discussions define the various positions attainable in the baking and pastry field as well as modern baking equipment, bakery manufacturing, and ready-made baked goods. Focus is placed on food, product, labor costing, inventory control and the creation of a retail establishment. Proper formulation of a cover letter and resume is covered.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the information, CarrotTop. You have definitely given me food for thought. I actually did think about an attached kitchen, but I have to look into the rules and regs for my state/county/city. I will keep researching. Thanks again for the info.

Let me just say I am jealous, I wish my schedule would allow for me to attend some more formal training too.

As some of you know I do baking from my home on a part-time (or maybe not so part-time any more). I did pretty much what Sinclair said, I had the opportunity to build a new house last year and of course my kitchen is "a baker's kitchen and thank goodness my husband is a good guy because he let me sink $$$ into my ovens which at the end of year when I total up my cake sells maybe I've made some of the money back that we put out to get it. :laugh:

At any rate I too crave more and more knowledge about baking and decorating. Here's the interesting thing that I have noticed just since I moved into my house last November, despite the fact I don't have time to take classes I have joined this forum, watched a lot of Food Network, purchased a few books and spoke to some folks in person and I have learned tons and stepped out and taken risks that I may not have done if indeed I went to school. I think I would have waited until I completed my course work and then ventured out.

Here's point in case, I made my very first wedding cake July 4th weekend and guess what I did it despite the blood, sweat and tears!!! ( I might add Sinclair and Chefpeon cheered me on lots :laugh: ) Since then I've done three more, who knew!!! I received a call earlier this week from a company that will be holding a very affluent Bridal Fair at a upscale hotel early next year and there are a select number of vendors from each category who are allowed to participate in the show. I was really honored that my business was one of those selected. The unfortunate part is right now I don't have the $$ flow to lay out for the booth rental, it's pretty hefty and to be honest I would like another year or so under my belt before I start to service the more wealthy folks. They kinda scare me.

The jest of my tale is this it is my opinion that if you can fit formal training in awesome but if not do not let it hold you back. I have done what I term as my formal training which was the Wilton classes at a local craft store for months and then took more cake decorating classes at a baking supply store that taught me even more. My next goal is to take a few one off classes at the Viking Culinary School that opened here last Fall. So besides just growing up cooking and baking with my granny I've taken what I could when I could and I guess I'm doing something right.

Good Luck.

Believe, Laugh, Love

Lydia (aka celenes)

Hi Celenes,

How are you?

I was able to find a program that holds their classes during the evenings and Saturday. The other schools that I looked at didnt have that schedule.

I am in the practice stage and have been practicing at home and will continue to practice while going to school. I will still be messing around in my kitchen, but I am looking forward to the knowledge gained from school. I am part of another forum that has also been a great help. And I have learned alot. I think school will only take me further. Plus, I would also like to know more about baking as a whole.

Good luck to you and your business.

I look forward to seeing you around.