• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need some side dish ideas

amccomb

I am planning on grilling a prime rib roast this Thursday, and I need some side dish ideas! i am planning on making a potato dish that contains both red and sweet potatoes with creme fraiche, chives, and a splash of vinegar (not sure what kind I want to use yet). I really want to keep the other side dishes light. I wouldn't mind doing something in the oven, but my preference is for salad type dishes. I was going to make a pasta salad with a grainy mustard vinaigrette with green beans, walnuts, red onions, and maybe some feta cheese, but I made something pretty similar for dinner last night, so I want to go a different direction.

I would love some ideas!

Also, any ideas for rubs or sauces for the prime rib would be greatly appreciated. I bought a bottle of pomegranate molasses from The Spice House, and I thought about drizzling a little of that over the slices of beef, but I thought it may be too strong and sweet.

Thanks!

Take some fresh greens, tomatoes, red onions, and whatever else you like and toss a bit with the juice of a lime and a dash of tequila, lightly sprinkle with salt and serve, light, tart, and tasty.

He don't mix meat and dairy,

He don't eat humble pie,

So sing a miserere

And hang the bastard high!

- Richard Wilbur and John LaTouche from Candide

A salad that includes some watermelon might be delightful. I'd use some dark lettuce in that, I think, but another possibility is to use something bitter in it, like watercress, and maybe something fragrant, like basil. Just brainstorming here...

Michael aka "Pan"

julienne some yellow and greeen summer squash. add a little butter, low heat , let it simmer/stew until its as soft as you prefer your vegetables. Add a few halves of cherry tomato, some onion salt, and perhaps some basil. I'd keep it simple as you suggested, since it seems you are considering a strong sauce on a heavy meat, plus a heavy potatoe salad..but I'd also go with a cooked bveg, assuming the pot are room temp/cool ( with the cr fraiche)