• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Philosophy

sparrowgrass, you and I are kindred spirits! I'm a pie slut, too! :wink: I've had several proposals after baking pies for men, but none of them were serious! Of course, I keep making the mistake of dating men who have no appreciation for good food. I think that if I find the one who appreciates the pie, I'll know he's the one!

I was going to say food is love, too! Before you guys beat me to it!

Also, I'm a from scratcher, all the way. Damn those evil prepackaged pie doughs and cake mixes! It's not love if you're cheating!

"First rule in roadside beet sales, put the most attractive beets on top. The ones that make you pull the car over and go 'wow, I need this beet right now'. Those are the money beets." Dwight Schrute, The Office, Season 3, Product Recall

There's no such thing as too much garlic

Indeed. In the immortal words of Alice May Brock:

Tomatoes and oregano make it Italian; wine and tarragon make it French. Sour cream makes it Russian; lemon and cinnamon make it Greek. Soy sauce makes it Chinese; garlic makes it good.

Anything in Moderation.

Including Moderation.

I learned that from my father. :biggrin:

Someone here quoted Julia Child when I said something similar to docsconz's "anything in moderation"

The reply was:

"I believe in moderation, and lot's of it!"

That is SO my motto!

DA

I said molecuular compatability because I was reading something about Heston Blumenthal (of molecular gastronomy buzz) and he was saying that he was interested in the molecular composition of food to inspire pairings that wre based on the molecular compatability of the items. It is possible that this may have good results but it seems to me that it is sort of like expecting everything that is blue to automatically work well together. But that's just mu opinion.

I was also reading on another thread about someone who used guassian (blur?) for plating, also mentioned that they liked to design cuisine based on scientific theories such as Einstein's relativity and were considering Schroedinger's cat for future inspiration.

I think that this is intriguing from an intellectual standpoint but I am not at all sure that it has any validity or relevance whatsoever to the diner.

I also find it interesting the emphasis on making a meal into an 'experience' in the Trio philosophy. It makes me think that people must just be way way way too bored. Anyone up for the roller coaster experience meal? How about the haunted house? Maybe one of those glorious days of your youth when you were facing down a plate of sqash or lima beans in a deadlock with your mother now there's a dining 'experience'

Do any of you think it is interesting how chef's and restaurants have started manufacturing fancy politically correct food philosophies? Is it even possible to be a professional cook without a food philosophy? How came none of them has anything like "No yucky vegetables or fish" ? I once thought I would have a restaurant called No yucky vegetables or creatures that breath water.