• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Annecy: Merged topics

lizziee

• 4 months later...

Several years ago I had a delightful lunch at Pere Bise in Talloires, outside Annecy. I have not been able to find a recent posting here, and I note that this restaurant is now a one star from Michelin. Any recent experience? Much appreciated!

This is certainly not an update as I have not been there for many years, not since the original Père Bise died. I am not sure if you are aware that this was once one of the great three star restaurants of France and one of the very best of them. Alas, the family was not able to maintain the old standards after François died and I believe that they lost all their stars. I am very happy, for old times' sake, to hear that they have regained one and that you enjoyed your lunch there. The setting is incredibly beautiful. There are more interesting restaurants in the area now - notably the three star L'auberge de l'éridan.

Ruth Friedman

Two years ago we were there for a few days. The food was VERY good. But the best meal was at Marc Fayat's Auberge de Eridan, expensive but a once in a lifetime for us.

Edited by cigalechanta (log)

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly....MFK Fisher

• 1 month later...

i was planning to head south for a week in september but other than easy flights to nice, nothing else grabbed me, however i do have a bizarre urge to take my bike and climb and climb alpe d'huez :wacko: so annecy and the lake looks a suitable mid-ground with sunbathing and other holiday things for mrs marshall and plenty of good countryside for me :biggrin:

any thoughts on accom, food, restaurants gratefully recieved.

cheers

gary

you don't win friends with salad

In another thread I wrote: "Outside of Veyrat (and I haven't been in a couple of years) there are two places around Annecy that I would highly recommend. The first is the Ferme de Lormay (Chez Albert) in Le Grand-Bornand 33 km from Annecy (better known as a skiing destination). It's not in my Michelin but is in my 2003 Gault/Millau as only a 12 but it's very special. The guy (Albert Bonamy) prepares great rustic cuisine with gutsy terrines, well-thought out mains and terrific tartes. The few times we've been there, the cars have all had Paris or local license plates which I think is a good sign. We went for lunch and then hiked around as did most customers (it's at the end of a very long road up a valley (the Bouchet). (You can cut up to Switzerland if you wish to afterwards) It's closed quirky times (May and the first part of June, Sept - mid December, Tuesdays; so check 04.50.02.34.29). If you must stick around Annecy in the evening, the Brasserie St Maurice, 9 rue du college 04.50.51.24.49 is not bad (it's surpring fusion-y cuisine) but not like Pere Bise in its heydays. I would caution you against eating at Ciboulette, it's not up to it's ratings, and L'Atelier Gourmand was not as good the 2nd time as it was the 1st. Despite its awful name, the hotel Super Panorama - perched high above Talloires, offers a terrific place to have lunch if it's sunny and the sailboats are out, etc."

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

• 1 month later...

i had a great time in annecy, the sun shone the lake was immaculately clean and i found enough cols to occupy myself without having to bother with the drive to alpe d' huez :biggrin:

briefly places we tried....

first night (Thursday) CLOS DES SENS a stunning michelin 1 star, we had a 12 course taster for 90e with innumberable amuses too, the menus start from around 30E i think and they all got the amuses too so they looked good value. wines not cheap but food brilliant, inventive, great plating and delicious. www.closdessens.com

Friday HOTEL DE VILLE very poor, looked nice art deco building just wanted a steak bearnaise, booked at lunchtime went back in evening and found they had a DJ playing rubbish europop, not too loud, but loud enough that you wouldn't want to sit inside. Service fine but steak rubbish, bearnaise poor and very odd marinated salmon starter that was actively unpleasant. Not recommended but was always busy!

Saturday night ROTTISERIE DU THIOU found this in guide pudlo, i'd checked all the michelin entries that were open and non appealed. This was a tiny backstreet place that was promising, niggles were that i booked downstairs (one of only 2 bookings that night i noticed) and got offered a tiny table for two 'upstairs' (upstairs being a wedge of space by the side of the stairs with 3 tables on it) wedged between a huge 3 generation family group. we said no thanks and sat outside. Food was good selection of savoie classics with their interpretation, ie they served most on a brochette, steaks etc, taken thought over the wines and food had evident care. Young chef in kitchen and young guy out front type of operation. Went back for lunch and again had table issues so walked off, probably cut off my nose to spite my face, but i wasn't in the mood for it after 3 hours up and down various cols! Would recommend it.

Sunday LE FRETTI our friends loved this place so we were forced to try it, not bad on main tourist bit of old town all the old savoie classics, raclette, tartiflette, fondues. not a lot to get wrong, cheerful service and cheap. again useful, open every evening place.

Monday LE BELVEDERE this was just up the road from our hotel (les tresoms, which had an interesting if pricey restaurant too). In michelin but pudlow said it was an ex-marc veyrat chef and was quite inventive so we checked the menu, some unusual touches montecristo cigar sauces and potato with xo brandy for example. But really enjoyed it lovely view over the lake and wines not too heavily marked up.

Tuesday GARCIN a family owned place up a flight of stairs, apparently marc veyrat eats here on his days off, if that's any rec, for me it was the type of old school french place i like bumbling chef /proprietor, wife assiting nice menu of bistro dishes, went back twice. Recommended if you like tradition.

Super panorama that john mention was also near our hotel, it might overlook tailloires but the village of tailloires is on the opposite side of the lake!

cheers

gary

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

Super panorama that john mention was also near our hotel, it might overlook tailloires but the village of tailloires is on the opposite side of the lake!

My apologies for the misleading info about which side of the lake the SuperPanorama is on. Gary is quite correct. Above Pere Bise, though, there are several places, one with the view westward down over Pere Bise. Sorry.

For the record and folks searching this thread in the future, the last Figaro article on Annecy I have in my archives is old: Friday Oct 5, 2001 and lists the following restaurants in Annecy:

L'Atelier gourmand

La Ciboulette

La Voile

La Rotande

La Reserve

L'Auberge de Savoie

John Talbott

My apologies for the misleading info about which side of the lake the SuperPanorama is on.  Gary is quite correct.  Above Pere Bise, though, there are several places, one with the view westward down over Pere Bise.  Sorry.

For the record and folks searching this thread in the future, the last Figaro article on Annecy I have in my archives is old: Friday Oct 5, 2001 and lists the following restaurants in Annecy:

L'Atelier gourmand

La Ciboulette

La Voile

La Rotande

La Reserve

L'Auberge de Savoie

Although bizarely where it says 'talloires' on the michelin map does suggest it is on the right hand side of the lake!

in that list atelier gourmand has a star and was closed for hols when we were there

ciboulette is a 3 knife and fork but din't see it and auberge de savoie is still there a 2 k& f i think but was also closed for hols.

cheers

gary

Edited by Gary Marshall (log)

• 2 years later...

I was so glad to find a thread about Annecy! It's been three years since I was last there, but I loved it so much both times I went. I got great pictures, I also got to eat some wonderful food; we were there during 'soldes' season, so I got good shopping done; I even found some of my gifts for the family in Annecy before I ever traveled to other areas.

I've been working on going back for a while now; I've got some friends in the area who have been begging me to come back sometime. I'd love to hear some comments from other people who've been there recently, to kind of get a feel for any new developments from the last time I was there (July 2004).

I was so glad to find a thread about Annecy! It's been three years since I was last there, but I loved it so much both times I went.

I think there are folks out there who'd love an update on places. I too love Annecy and try to get there every year. So, members, pile on!

John Talbott

• 11 months later...

Any suggestions for great restaurants in Annecy? We will be staying around 3 nights; walking distances or short taxi rides from the town center would be ideal.

Not really looking for Michelin restaurants (although... exceptions could be made) moreso would love recommendations on more casual, affordable restaurants with local specialties :smile:

Many thanks!

Edited by John Talbott (log)

another big money choice is the nearby Marc Veyrat restaurant, which will also break the bank. But, i just looked at his website & noticed there is an 'activity' listed, called "Cafe Bio" in Annecy - it doesn't have any specific information on it, but it could be interesting. (and 'cafe' makes me think that it's not as expensive as La Maison de Marc Veyrat.)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

and if you're going to Annecy, I'm sure you've probably already done the research and know, but they have a great market that takes over most of the streets of the old town - with lots of goodies that make a great picnic for the lake as a good, local-food lunch.

ETA: The market is held three days a week - I don't remember off the top of my head the days, but I'm sure a www search would come up with them.

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

and if you're going to Annecy, I'm sure you've probably already done the research and know, but they have a great market that takes over most of the streets of the old town - with lots of goodies that make a great picnic for the lake as a good, local-food lunch.

ETA:  The market is held three days a week - I don't remember off the top of my head the days, but I'm sure a www search would come up with them.

Yes, I'm very excited about all the markets in France! :smile: The bigger market in Annecy is on Saturday, I believe. Are there "Annecy" specialties that I should keep a lookout for? In Sarlat, I know to look out for any walnut products and lots of foie..and roast chicken in St Cyprien..

Thanks for the tips on Cafe Bio and Le Freti!

another big money choice is the nearby Marc Veyrat restaurant, which will also break the bank.  But, i just looked at his website & noticed there is an 'activity' listed, called "Cafe Bio" in Annecy - it doesn't have any specific information on it, but it could be interesting.  (and 'cafe' makes me think that it's not as expensive as La Maison de Marc Veyrat.)

Now that I've taken a closer look at his website, in the Franchises section there is something called "Veyrat Carive - A New Concept in Gastronomy" 19E trays, 4 dishes to eat in - .. i'm intrigued !

Now that I've taken a closer look at his website, in the Franchises section there is something called "Veyrat Carive - A New Concept in Gastronomy" 19E trays, 4 dishes to eat in - .. i'm intrigued !

Me too...report back on what it's like if you get a chance to try.

On the specialties (aside from the general haute savoie meals you'll get in restaurants)...probably, but it's been awhile since I've lived down in that area, so can't really remember specifics - i spent a lot of time wandering the markets and just buying anything that looked good - mostly local cheeses and meats.

Edited by Forest (log)

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 2 weeks later...

just visiting the website of marc veyrat yesterday out of curiousity and not much changed (still stated - closed during winter and reopen in may)

i heard a rumor that he's going to retire soon, so is it really official now? or it's still business as usual there (la maison de marc veyrat)? thanks